Dees seek priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Dees asking for yet another handout.

sigh-off-o.gif

I wonder if we'll be able to get Toumpas before he becomes thoroughly demonified? He looked like he was going to be a classy player.

Am quite disturbed that suddenly a number of prominent football media personalities here in Melbourne are supportive of Melbourne receiving a PP and commenting that they should in fact receive one. To me, we, the football public are now being softened up for the inevitable. Usually works something like that and if it does, it stinks.

A few good psychologists might help turn things around - maybe they should employ a few of them full time for 12 months to asses things.

The crazy thing to me is that this thread is still going and that the idea hasn't been laughed at right in its stupid face by the AFL.
Assess James, I know all psychology comes back to sex, but I dont think another 12 months of taking it Greek style will help them.

What about the bottom 4 teams get to go into a mid season draft? They could draft in state leaguers who could add a bigger body to Their sides as nearly always the bottom teams are young rebuilding clubs. It could make them a bit more competitive and allows players a chance at AFL level. Something along those lines imo

Emma Quayle pretty much nails it:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl...ldnt-get-a-priority-pick-20140819-105qvd.html

Essentially, the argument boils down to Melbourne having enough access to development opportunities right now without getting another priority pick.
The thing is prior to the game vs the Lions they were going OK, but it's like "oh we lost to Brisbane" and the wheels have fallen off.

I am also seeing a defeatist attitude in Roos looking to "the scars of the past", it's his job to move them on and bring in the new culture. If he is trotting out "the scars of the past", then his effort at bringing in a new culture this year has been an abject failure. Melbourne has had a lot of assistance over a lot of years a lot more than we have had or say the Dogs and continually blown it.

The most telling point of that article is when she says it would have been better if they said they didnt need help, because the "poor us" attitude seems to be perpetuating.

The thing is prior to the game vs the Lions they were going OK, but it's like "oh we lost to Brisbane" and the wheels have fallen off.

I am also seeing a defeatist attitude in Roos looking to "the scars of the past", it's his job to move them on and bring in the new culture. If he is trotting out "the scars of the past", then his effort at bringing in a new culture this year has been an abject failure. Melbourne has had a lot of assistance over a lot of years a lot more than we have had or say the Dogs and continually blown it.

The most telling point of that article is when she says it would have been better if they said they didnt need help, because the "poor us" attitude seems to be perpetuating.

Normally I probably wouldn't find that argument very convincing: I think players within clubs have very different views of their own organisation to the media narrative.

That said, my impression is that Roos is raising that issue virtually every week. It seems to be always at the front of his mind.

I don't have a problem with them asking for the pick. From their perspective, they need it. I wouldn't have a problem with them getting some kind of extra assistance, provided there's a way to make sure that other clubs don't have to once again get locked out of the best talent to assist the AFL's current special project.

If the AFL give Melbourne a priority pick I quit following AFL immediately. They talk about running a fair and even competition and then pull stunts like this.

Melbourne should also not get pick 3 for Frawley. He is an unrestricte free agent because of their own decisions. Personally I don't believe in any free agency compensation. But then again it is just another example of how the AFL is run by a bunch of people who don't give a toss about the game only about revenue.

I don't have a problem with them asking for the pick. From their perspective, they need it. I wouldn't have a problem with them getting some kind of extra assistance, provided there's a way to make sure that other clubs don't have to once again get locked out of the best talent to assist the AFL's current special project.
Which has been the case for the last four years.

Here's a scenario say the Saints jag a game in the last two, Melbourne could then have picks 1,2 and 3. That severely affects the likes of St K, Lions, Dogs, Carlton all of whom have been trying to rebuild for a number of years. No way they should get a top of first round pick.

If the AFL give Melbourne a priority pick I quit following AFL immediately. They talk about running a fair and even competition and then pull stunts like this.

Melbourne should also not get pick 3 for Frawley. He is an unrestricte free agent because of their own decisions. Personally I don't believe in any free agency compensation. But then again it is just another example of how the AFL is run by a bunch of people who don't give a toss about the game only about revenue.

Precisely why I hate free agency. Using the Frawley case as an example. Two clubs benefit, i.e. Melbourne with pick 3 and the club acquires that Frawley. So effectively one free agent departing has a detrimental impact on 16 clubs by their draft pick(s) subsequently being downgraded.

Don't get me started in circumstances where multiple free agents depart.

Prepare yourself then. As I understand it Roos only resigned when he had certain guarantees around draft picks. It suggests either the Frawley deal is done and dusted and compensation from AFL agreed, that melbourne know they are getting a pp and us commoners are now in the buttering up phase or both. I think its the second as from what I understand no club has arrived at a concrete offer for frawley yet.

Which has been the case for the last four years.

Here's a scenario say the Saints jag a game in the last two, Melbourne could then have picks 1,2 and 3. That severely affects the likes of St K, Lions, Dogs, Carlton all of whom have been trying to rebuild for a number of years. No way they should get a top of first round pick.
Remember, Carlton don't rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BREAKING: 3KZ is Football asks Santa for a new bike. Santa rejects request, "You haven't been a good boy."

BREAKING: Melbourne Football Club asks AFL for priority pick.

No one deserves a priority pick. Sorry mate, but if you guys get one then all the crap teams in the comp start whinging. Most Saints fans also want one, which is absurd. Dees have had enough handouts. No one should get it. The AFL aren't social security

BREAKING: 3KZ is Football asks Santa for a new bike. Santa rejects request, "You haven't been a good boy."

BREAKING: Melbourne Football Club asks AFL for priority pick.
I hear Santa also rejected their request for a tank.

No one deserves a priority pick. Sorry mate, but if you guys get one then all the crap teams in the comp start whinging. Most Saints fans also want one, which is absurd. Dees have had enough handouts. No one should get it. The AFL aren't social security

Wrong board maybe? o_O

Don't believe we have ever asked for one. Thing is though, most of the 'crap' teams around us as you term them have had priority picks or numerous first round picks and not produced. We have done it all ourselves, on field at least, but at our cost if ineptly run clubs keep getting handouts.
I think there is a case for priority picks, but only after a justification process. You shouldn't just be able to put up your hand and say we have been hopeless for four years so give us a hand.

While I don't think they should get a priority pick i think people are going a bit early presuming a pp would be post their first round pick. Realistically of they got one it would most likely be end of first round. Still not a fan of them getting one though

Prepare yourself then. As I understand it Roos only resigned when he had certain guarantees around draft picks. It suggests either the Frawley deal is done and dusted and compensation from AFL agreed, that melbourne know they are getting a pp and us commoners are now in the buttering up phase or both. I think its the second as from what I understand no club has arrived at a concrete offer for frawley yet.
  • My 'understanding' is it is most unlikely that melbourne will get a PP
  • My 'thinking' re Frawley is - would you stay at the dees if you were offered more [surely the number is irrelevant] salary anywhere else?
  • My 'gut feel' is Roos was asked to take on the 3rd year option as there was no lock in 'succession assistant coach' for 2015.

This same goose has said the same thing over on his own board. Apparently we're demanding a pp and we are most deserved.Scratched my head when I read it earlier. Then he posts the above. Lol bf brings out all types.

Thanks for the heads up - he'd posted it about us on the Collingwood, West Coast and St Kilda boards. Clear trolling.

Thanks for the heads up - he'd posted it about us on the Collingwood, West Coast and St Kilda boards. Clear trolling.
Got to admire someone who can manage to get banned inside 2 weeks and 44 posts across three boards. Some have to work a lot harder than that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dees seek priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back