Review Dees v Brad's Bombers: the Good, Bad & Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably the most insipid performance we've put together since 2019. We just looked off from the very beginning - those first two goals for them were training drills.

We were smashed in the air, and really missed Gawn and Lever, but if that happens then we should at least be competitive on the ground - but nope, smashed there as well. Defensively lazy, lost every single one on one contest, stupid decision making, the whole shebang.

I've been a defender of Tomlinson, and thought he was decent in his first couple of games, but he's kind of an in between player who isn't good enough in the air to take the tall attackers, but he's too slow to take medium or small attackers. Exacerbated by the fact that May played the worst game of his life, and Petty has been out of form all year.

Used to be the case that you'd know, win lose or draw, that you'd always get an honest effort out of this team, but the two losses we've had this year have both been really meek and lazy performances - dare I say it, "bruise free football". I mean, maybe sometimes good teams can go through performances like this early in the season and flick the switch later in the year when they need to, but I'm not convinced we're actually that good atm. Not the end of the world yet, but worrying.

Probably the most insipid performance we've put together since 2019. We just looked off from the very beginning - those first two goals for them were training drills.

We were smashed in the air, and really missed Gawn and Lever, but if that happens then we should at least be competitive on the ground - but nope, smashed there as well. Defensively lazy, lost every single one on one contest, stupid decision making, the whole shebang.

I've been a defender of Tomlinson, and thought he was decent in his first couple of games, but he's kind of an in between player who isn't good enough in the air to take the tall attackers, but he's too slow to take medium or small attackers. Exacerbated by the fact that May played the worst game of his life, and Petty has been out of form all year.

Used to be the case that you'd know, win lose or draw, that you'd always get an honest effort out of this team, but the two losses we've had this year have both been really meek and lazy performances - dare I say it, "bruise free football". I mean, maybe sometimes good teams can go through performances like this early in the season and flick the switch later in the year when they need to, but I'm not convinced we're actually that good atm. Not the end of the world yet, but worrying.
I am happy this has happened now and not round 16. Got a long way to go to get our best 22 settled but it’ll take a bit more lateral thinking from Goodwin.

Yeah, drop Melk. His 2 early goals mustn't keep him in after the rubbish he dished up for the rest of the game.
This is my big concern too. Last year we were playing a shit, conservative style (and playing half-cooked players) but our defence was solid and you couldn't really fault the effort. Today and v Brisbane blokes just looked lazy and half-hearted; no real work to fix up mistakes or support teammates with options/blocks/intercepts.

Yeah, drop Melk. His 2 early goals mustn't keep him in after the rubbish he dished up for the rest of the game.

This is my big concern too. Last year we were playing a s**t, conservative style (and playing half-cooked players) but our defence was solid and you couldn't really fault the effort. Today and v Brisbane blokes just looked lazy and half-hearted; no real work to fix up mistakes or support teammates with options/blocks/intercepts.
We could be flat Post WC trip

This is my big concern too. Last year we were playing a s**t, conservative style (and playing half-cooked players) but our defence was solid and you couldn't really fault the effort. Today and v Brisbane blokes just looked lazy and half-hearted; no real work to fix up mistakes or support teammates with options/blocks/intercepts.
Nah if tom's 4 goals against half a WAFL team keeps him in, then Melksham is a lock for the next 4 to 6 weeks on goody standards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Felt like this throughout last year, we'll flick the switch come finals but it just never came. I agree it's not the end of the world but based on our form from the second half last year to now I'm starting to lean towards Melbourne being an average team than a good team.

All teams are only as good as their top liners. Our best 4 players are Gawn, May, Oliver and Petracca. Today alone, Gawn missed, May stank, Petracca was average/poor and Oliver was average. So as much as the lesser lights played some terrible footy, we’re a very average side if our top 4 and a host of the next tier like Pickett, Lever, Fritsch aren’t playing better than average footy.

We can’t continue carrying the likes of the cooked Melksham, McDonald and Brown but we’re simply no better than mid table if our superstars don’t lead the way.

It’s a small thing but absolutely shithouse by the club to not even acknowledge jordons 50th game. Even as the sub it wasn’t mentioned anywhere.
I felt the same. Pretty poor by Goody to name him sub in his 50th. Poor guy must be getting a complex after being sub in the GF win. Treat your players better!

I can imagine the outrage if when goody recalls brown he drops Rooey and keeps tmac in (I'm aware they where all supposed to play today)

how can a player like Tomlinson who is a full time footy player and who has been playing since he was probably 10 yrs old and who gets paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year grab the ball near the boundary line and rocket a handball with full force directly over the boundary line? The level of stupidity that it shows is beyond belief. And it provides a snapshot of his complete lack of awareness, complete lack of game sense that never leaves his game.

I could say the same thing with about 10 other players but boy gee were there some dumb mistakes today that simply showed how little game sense some of our players have. Lachie hunter, apparently has high footy IQ, yet he still doesn't know the bloody rushed behind rule. I had to wait until the last quarter for Judd Mcvee, a guy playing his first season, to be the first dees player today to show the slightest understanding of the rushed behind rule and successfully rush a behind. It's not hard guys, if you're under pressure you can rush it. Darn frustrating.

I could go on with about 10 other examples but come on guys, you're paid good money to play with a certain level of common sense and footy IQ. I saw none of that today.

Scott clearly tactically outmanoeuvred Goodwin. They used their two ruckmen really well to exploit Grundy by pushing forward. Stringer as a decoy/anchor rendered May useless and Setterfield’s close checking clearly put Oliver off.

But the reasons that these moves worked and Essendon won was all to do with work rate. They tracked back to defend, pushed forward when they had the ball, pressured the ball carrier and went when they had to today, our mob simply didn’t. They were also able to simplify the game when the conditions called for it and knock the ball forward into space whereas we over hand balled and dump kicked from beginning to the end.

It’s a small thing but absolutely shithouse by the club to not even acknowledge jordons 50th game. Even as the sub it wasn’t mentioned anywhere.

It was on the banner as they ran through

Lol that was just shit coaching. Allowed May to get pulled up the ground all day instead of changing the matchup. Why couldn't Brayshaw take Stringer. Allowed Oliver to get 40 pointless disposals and instead of trying to get him to shake the tag just kept making him first option from a stoppage to get useless disposals. Petraccas confidence is in the bin as is Brayshaws. The back 6 couldn't win a matchup. Continued to play forwards who can't win 1-1s under pressure or defend on the ground, so to fix it we will bring in a 200cm bloke who can't do the same.

But worst of the intangible 'we didn't come to play' twice in 5 games we didn't even show up. That's how a 5th-10th team plays which we are looking like rn

Had a big sook after the Brissy game, can't even be bothered after this one. Just a shit effort all around. Game was dead before the rain we had given up something like 27 shots on goal in the 3rd quarter. Defence was absolute shit, but that midfield and front half was a disgrace. They waltzed the ball down the field like it was a training drill half the time.

Sick of watching Oliver get 39 worthless disposals so he can stay in the AA team. Neither he nor the coaching staff does anything to try and change thisb

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Dees v Brad's Bombers: the Good, Bad & Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back