Autopsy Deja Voodoo - Clawed at the Cattery

Remove this Banner Ad

won the clearances, got smashed in contested possession & uncontested possession.

Cats were harder at the contest & spread harder from the contest.

Our tackles simply don't stick against the cats.

Need to hit the weight room.

Our strategy was poor, sending one back as the default option while not manning up at the contest resulting in a geelong extra absolutely killed us.

The best form of defence is winning the footy. That's it. Not having extras back, not having elite pressure to tackle because you haven't won the ball first. Win the ball first, win the game.

How can they say they believe in the system
System does not work v everyone. I don’t like our defensive setu, never have. We should have flooded back tonight at every opportunity and had the whole team clogging the defensive 50. Others do that v the Cats, you can’t leave the holes we leave with defending space….

It's easy to blame JMac and Stephens but they are told to hold their width so we can get the ball to them. But we can't get the ball to our wingers. I'd have put them inside. At least something different

Issue I have with both and I’m not saying we have better is that both are low possession mids let’s compare to say Collingwood having Josh Daicos and Sidebottom getting near 30+. Huge discrepancy in numbers, JMac barely gets it 20 times on a good day

System does not work v everyone. I don’t like our defensive setu, never have. We should have flooded back tonight at every opportunity and had the whole team clogging the defensive 50. Others do that v the Cats, you can’t leave the holes we leave with defending space….
Our system works when we pressure the inside 50, so we are already in space for a quick rebound and kill them on turn over. We just had no pressure tonight

We didn't have many other options than putting Mills onto Hawkins. Francis wasn't an option because he's predominantly playing forward in reserves & Gould is in his 2nd game. It would have been very rough to give Gould that assignment.

Gould held his own on Hawkins later in the game but you don't give a rookie that matchup.

Absolutely decimated in the contest for much of the night. Players like Gulden just tossed aside by their opponents like paperweights. Cats look super hungry again so credit to them for that.

Might just be time that's required for players like Gulden, Warner and Rowbottom to hit their peaks in terms of strength. We really lack experience in the midfield when compared to the top teams like Geelong and Melbourne. They just make our guys look small, weak and inexperienced, and they just don't read the play very well at times. Ladhams too is just wayyyyy worse imo than Hickey and doesn't tap to our advantage enough and makes at least 2-3 costly blunders per game.

Couple all of this with injuries to all our best key position players and it's looking like it could be some rough times until we can back some of those key personnel and hopefully some better structure back on the field.

The only way we were going to be competitive is if we won the mids - convincingly.

So parking Mills back felt like an admission of defeat from the opening siren.

I don’t normally get upset at Horse - but I can’t help but think that was a really poor move from a senior coach.

yep with anything like even ball Cameron and Hawkins were going to destroy our defence. The fact that they played mills there guaranteed that they’d get better then even ball

We didn't have many other options than putting Mills onto Hawkins. Francis wasn't an option because he's predominantly playing forward in reserves & Gould is in his 2nd game. It would have been very rough to give Gould that assignment.

Gould held his own on Hawkins later in the game but you don't give a rookie that matchup.
You do if the alternative is putting your best midfielder on him instead

Made a few errors but in terms of tapwork he was good. Not his fault our mids would throw it to the opposition

It is his fault when he kicks the ball 40m sideways to the boundary line to to a 50/50 contest, that then leads to a goal, just as we are starting to get some momentum.

He had about 4 horrendous clangers at crucial times when we still had a bit of a sniff.

There will be plenty here bagging ladhams, but he was far from a positive today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond was a warning sign as they were able to break down our structures for decent parts of that game and we got lucky that they are really not a very good team. In that game it felt like we had dropped below the minimum level of experience\development to maintain AFL level gameplay but ultimately still came out on top.

Fast forward to this game and with all the size\experience stats significantly against us and against a much better team than Richmond we see how it goes.

The commentary was as usual gag inducing at times but they were right when they said that the game was lost through the midfield not by the defence.

It was also a surprise that the coaches started Mills in defence, Roberts on the wing and Stephens and Francis forward. To me this was a mistake on all counts as we needed height in the backline which Francis would have provided, grunt and size in the mids which Mills could have provided and more experience and pace on the wing which Stephens would have provided.

Ultimately we are going to continue to struggle if we cant get more experience back on the field and now we have even lost Roberts for a number of weeks. Hopefully next week we will get back Rampe, Tom Mccartin and Hickey which may be enough to beat an underwhelming GWS.

Really worrying lack of steel and hardness in this team. Which plays out in these blow outs. If you are a good team, you don’t get beaten by 50-100pts. Have been a horse supporter, but the lack of fight and the lack of effort tonight is a coach killer for mine!

It is his fault when he kicks the ball 40m sideways to the boundary line to to a 50/50 contest, that then leads to a goal, just as we are starting to get some momentum.

He had about 4 horrendous clangers at crucial times when we still had a bit of a sniff.

There will be plenty here bagging ladhams, but he was far from a positive today.

the guy is a straight up liability - not through lack of effort because he tries bloody hard and he’s got the ability to get the ball - but because he kicks the ball too often and turns it over with horrendous regularity.and when he turns it over our defence is usually loose because they’re expecting to retain the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Deja Voodoo - Clawed at the Cattery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back