Delisted free agents - sifting through the neighbor's bins

Remove this Banner Ad

Why not both as DFA, if we want both. Why add the draft suspense?

Each Team needs to make 3 draft selections. So we will then need to draft three other players (or upgrade rookies). Plus we will need to delist other players to make these selections if we add 5 players.

Why not both as DFA, if we want both. Why add the draft suspense?

As usual, I have no idea but I do have an opinion... ;)

Were I running this period I would sign any certain DFA's I need asap. If, however, there was someone who looked good but they weren't essential, then I would risk losing them in order to sign them up as late as possible with maximum negotiating power to drive down their asking price. The more eager I am, the more I have to pay.

Assuming DFAs are approximately equal value to a draftee, maybe even less as all you need to do is sign one up and in the draft you need to wait your turn before you can select, then I would always sign them up in the last period, even after the draft, using them as list fillers. Unless, of course, they offer a skill I need in which case I would sign them straight away to make sure I get them.

Each Team needs to make 3 draft selections. So we will then need to draft three other players (or upgrade rookies). Plus we will need to delist other players to make these selections if we add 5 players.
Not quite.

We have 5 vacancies on our list.

Stewart upgrade and 2 picks in the draft, plus 2 DFAs, would work fine. (If we want a full senior list, of course)

Not quite.

We have 5 vacancies on our list.

Stewart upgrade and 2 picks in the draft, plus 2 DFAs, would work fine. (If we want a full senior list, of course)

That's if we go back to having a full list rather than running one under.

Stewart upgrade is really already done, the paperwork has been lodged all that is left is for it to be read out on draft day, that last pick is already gone and the list spot is already used

Stewart upgrade is really already done, the paperwork has been lodged all that is left is for it to be read out on draft day, that last pick is already gone and the list spot is already used

With Stewart being upgraded and Henderson possibly as a delisted free agent, does that leave us with 3 live picks in the draft?

With Stewart being upgraded and Henderson possibly as a delisted free agent, does that leave us with 3 live picks in the draft?
we have room for up to four more players, two must be from the draft, the other two could be from the draft, DFAs, not used, used for additional rookie spots or used in the PSD

Does anyone know how category B rookies work in regards to only being allowed one Irish rookie? Presumably if we want exclusive access to the new guy we will need to take him as a Cat B rookie. Does that mean we have to upgrade Glass, and can we upgrade him to the normal rookie list or does he have to be upgraded onto the main list? If it's the latter, it would mean we only need to use one live pick in the draft.

Does anyone know how category B rookies work in regards to only being allowed one Irish rookie? Presumably if we want exclusive access to the new guy we will need to take him as a Cat B rookie. Does that mean we have to upgrade Glass, and can we upgrade him to the normal rookie list or does he have to be upgraded onto the main list? If it's the latter, it would mean we only need to use one live pick in the draft.
There are three "lists" with their own limitations.
Primary list must be between 38-40 players, players picked in the national draft go on the primary list. All players on the primary list are part of the TPP
Rookie list has two categories A and B and the impact on TPP and wages is different to primary list. (elevated rookies count against the TPP but not fully and only while elevated)

You always have 3 category B spots available but you can only put certain players on that list. Those players are Academy Players (in our case the new multicultural zone players), international rookies (only one can be Irish as per an agreement with Gaelic Athletic Association), former NSW or International scholarship players, non registered or haven't played for three years. You can have more than 3 cat B rookies if there is room on the list but they get designated as cat A and you forfeit rookie draft picks in the following year (Cat B rookies do not need to be drafted)

How many Category A rookies you can have on your list depends on how many players you have on your primary list, maximum is 6 if you have 38 on the primary list, you can't have more than 4 category A rookies even if you are not using all three category B spots
upload_2016-11-4_15-57-48.png

Taking Nash as a Category B rookie means we don't have to compete with other clubs for his services. Glass can be moved to a Category A rookie without any issue, we don't have to put him on the primary list but I believe we use a rookie draft pick this year to do so same as how a national draft pick is used to elevate a rookie to the primary list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could do either, as long as Glass and Nash aren't both on the category B list. I don't know about any deadlines for adding Glass to the senior list, but he will at the very least be promoted to the Category A list.

If there is a later deadline for rookie elevations, perhaps we are waiting to see what is available with our second pick (90) before we decide...

Cyril and Pupolo would like a word ...

But in the midfield, you are correct.

Definitely meant in the context of our midfield, both those guys are as quicker, and as maniacal.

The point I was making was, Langford is a bezerker – a fanatic at the contest. Look at our contested ball stats when he was in, they climbed quite a bit from memory.

Gus is almost the perfect wing man, he has pace, is good defensively, if anything he lacks the lowering of the eyes coming into the forward 50m...

Gus has never played wing at AFL or VFL level. Never. Why? Because it's not enough being quick and athletic. Pace and endurance is a must, but you have to be a footballer too. Other you get lost playing wing if you can't read the play. Gus wasn't a natural footballer, not even close. He played back because he would follow his man to the ball.

So you think Howe's disposal is anything other than average? This bloke will only ever have problematic disposal due to that high ball drop.

Thanks Sammy!

Howe is a very nice, long kick of the ball. He is young and adapting to AFL level. He is a massive chance to take over from Birch in the next few seasons.

I'd be curious to see how Langer's goes in the new look midfield with a different game plan. I don't think he can consistently play at the level of the 2014 finals series but I do think in a new midfield with some younger faster players his role could be one that suits him more and he could have a place
I'm really interested in what the new plan will be. Without Mitchell and Lewis it has to be completely different. Could be fun.

The whole "lose the tap and hope Sam gets the clearance" plan was executed to to perfection, but didn't deliver the results in September

What is going on with this DFA period ?

Nothing is happening !

Surely somebody wants Barlow at least.
Barrett? Henderson?

Are the List Manager's all on holidays? Or still recovering from Trade Week?

To quote a great man: DO SOMETHING !

What is going on with this DFA period ?

Nothing is happening !

Surely somebody wants Barlow at least.
Barrett? Henderson?

Are the List Manager's all on holidays? Or still recovering from Trade Week?

To quote a great man: DO SOMETHING !
maybe we are going to take in the rookie draft? but that would be silly when we can get them as dfa. who knows, would like us to sign barrett and hendo

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted free agents - sifting through the neighbor's bins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back