Delisted free agents

Remove this Banner Ad

On review I think it's in our best interests not to add any DFAs prior to the draft. With 35 on the list the AFL will let us go to the draft with up to 5 picks.

Which in our case are 28,44,51,62 & 65. All of these picks have value for F/S purposes. Having access to these points will help us match bids on the night especially if we have to use multiple late picks.

So for example if we have to use 44 to get Brown and then 51, 62 & 65 to get Daicos the AFL will then add 2 more picks at the end of the draft. On the night we can then decide if we take an O'Shea type late or pass.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

On review I think it's in our best interests not to add any DFAs prior to the draft. With 35 on the list the AFL will let us go to the draft with up to 5 picks.

Which in our case are 28,44,51,62 & 65. All of these picks have value for F/S purposes. Having access to these points will help us match bids on the night especially if we have to use multiple late picks.

So for example if we have to use 44 to get Brown and then 51, 62 & 65 to get Daicos the AFL will then add 2 more picks at the end of the draft. On the night we can then decide if we take an O'Shea type late or pass.

When is the draft?

I think this is correct. If we didn't have the father sons to pick up, we would've most likely already signed a DFA.

With this new system so much is up in the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think I fully understand DFA, I assume that if you are interested in a DFA and don't want to risk them being pick up in the draft then this is the opportunity. Don't see why you wouldn't wait until the draft or rookie draft to pick a DFA because it is in favour of the Club rather than the player.

I don't think I fully understand DFA, I assume that if you are interested in a DFA and don't want to risk them being pick up in the draft then this is the opportunity. Don't see why you wouldn't wait until the draft or rookie draft to pick a DFA because it is in favour of the Club rather than the player.

Pretty much it. The benefit of locking them in now is getting them on the list straight away on nominated contract terms. Also makes sense if there is competition for that DFAs services to get it done now. Essendon have signed Green on a 1 year deal as a DFA. They wouldn't have been able to do that if they took him in the National Draft (2 year deals minimum).

The downside is that it is another list spot taken up pre draft; which means one less live draft pick to assess options. If there is no competition for the DFA then I'd be happy to see how the draft pans out before committing them to that list spot.

In our case this year we are better off waiting until draft night if we are interested in a DFA. Going to the draft with up to 5 picks live picks (with points attached) gives us a lot more flexibility to match F/S bids. If we have locked in Brown and Daicos on draft night we can then decide if we take a DFA with a late pick.

Highly unlikely we will pick up any DFA's at this stage after reportedly having signed Blair and with only four picks in the ND....two of which are allocated to father-sons.. Unless we delist another senior listed player at the eleventh hour which seems harsh.

I'd expect Minson or similar to be rookie drafted. Will be interesting to see if we also rookie draft O"Shea but talk about him seems to have gone cold. Maybe he failed the medical? It might also depend on whether or not we land a key defender in the draft.

You cant rookie list a DFA.

You cant rookie list a DFA.
I would think a DFA can be rookied like any other player i.e, has to survive the draft and fall to your pick - similar to Ben Hudson.
This is assuming they're eligible for the draft, (presumably have to nominate).

I would think a DFA can be rookied like any other player i.e, has to survive the draft and fall to your pick - similar to Ben Hudson.
This is assuming they're eligible for the draft, (presumably have to nominate).

Yes you can draft them onto the rookie list like any other player but you cant pick them up under the free agency rules and place them straight onto the rookie list. They can only be free agency signings (ie without going through the draft) on the main list.

At least thats my understanding

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted free agents

Remove this Banner Ad

Back