Delisted free agents

Remove this Banner Ad

Michael Barlow
The out-of-contract midfielder's time at Fremantle appears up. Rival interest in the 28-year-old was limited during the trade period, but as a delisted free agent he could appeal to teams looking to add midfield depth.

Ricky Henderson
The Crows defender has attracted interest in his native Victoria after Adelaide informed him it was not in a position to offer him a new contract. A strong chance to find a new home.

Zac Clarke
The Fremantle free agent is getting closer to re-signing with the Dockers having fielded rival interest as an unrestricted free agent this year.

Mitch Brown
The key defender wants to return home to Victoria after 94 games in 10 seasons with West Coast. After being overlooked in the free agency period, his best hope of being picked up will be as a delisted free agent.

Xavier Richards
The versatile Swans tall requested a last-minute trade home to Victoria but attracted no genuine offers. Swans football chief Tom Harley said on Thursday the club would look to reopen talks with Richards, but he remains set on a move if he can find an interested club.

Dean Towers
The 189cm Swans utility attracted interest from the Brisbane Lions and Victorian clubs late in the year. Harley said on Thursday the club would continue talks with Towers, but his chances of finding a new home appear good if he decides on a move.

Jarryd Blair
The small forward should re-sign with Collingwood, with the parties in a good position to negotiate a new deal now the trade period is over.

Tom Lonergan
Geelong is keen for the veteran defender to play on in 2017 but the 32-year-old has yet to announce his plans. Remains a key part of the Cats' backline so we expect him to continue.

Drew Petrie
The former Roo spearhead is hoping to extend his career at West Coast. The Eagles took Geelong forward/ruckman Nathan Vardy on the last day of the trade period, but are likely to add another experienced tall to help cover Nic Naitanui's absence in 2017, so Petrie's hopes remain alive.

Dylan Buckley
One of a host of out-of-contract Carlton players kept in limbo during the trade period, the running defender's future at Ikon Park will be decided soon. Played just 11 games in 2016 but, at 23, seems well placed to earn another contract.

Andrejs Everitt
Spent time in the VFL this season and could be forced out of Carlton as the club looks to get game time into younger players. Almost made his way to Gold Coast in last year's trade period and, at 27, will have some appeal if he becomes a delisted free agent.

Josh Green
The Tasmanian small forward was hoping for a trade away from the Gabba and appears a long shot to return. Has been linked to Essendon and could find his way there in the pre-season draft.

Mitch Clark
The Cats face a tough decision on the key forward given injury has denied him an extended run to cement a senior position. However, Aaron Black's arrival via a trade with North Melbourne suggests he could be on the way out.

Angus Litherland
The 192cm defender fell out of favour this year after playing 2016's opening four rounds but, at 24, could be retained by the Hawks with Josh Gibson nearing the end of his career. Likely to get an opportunity at a rival club if the Hawks opt not to re-sign him.

Cam O'Shea
In a market where demand for key defenders is strong, the 24-year-old Victorian would likely attract interest if Port can't find room for him on its list next year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-20/players-in-limbo-who-is-yet-to-sign-on-or-find-a-new-home

Barlow no thanks
Clarke definitely worth looking at as depth
Brown no thanks now we have Dunn. We still have his wife though so the Brown connection remains!!
Richards maybe...no real need but depends upon clubs opinion of him. His brothers career started slowly so worth considering
Towers. no thanks. Good name but not as tall as his name suggests!
Blair - another year why not with J Elliott remaining under a cloud
Green - maybe
Clark - AVOID
Litherland - cannot imagine in my wildest dreams why Hawthorn woudlnt resign him
O'Shea - unsure. Unbelievable with all their salary cap issues that Port coudlnt trade a single player. Avoid for that reason alone.

We need an experienced ruckman, whether on the senior or rookie list. Be that a VFL player or senior player at the end of his career, or a journeyman like Clarke...unsure.

Apart from that I cant see a need for any more top ups, would rather look at the draft

View attachment 303419

It appears he now can take chest marks. Would have to come into consideration.
I'm shocked there isn't a major uproar to bring Dawesy back. The number of posters who have bemoaned the loss of premiership players we moved on previously, would surely stay consistent with that approach and want Dawesy back......surely. Or is their silence confirmation that it was in fact a good move to part ways ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nope
Ohh!! Pretty please?! If only for leadership, integrity and a better than basic education? MyManDawes. o_O:rolleyes: Would I swap him for TheGreatGrundy?

Absolutely not. Dawes has stagnated since his 1020 GFx2 efforts. Whereas Grundy genuinely can play football. DawesIsDead would be my new Dawes' themed username.

Ohh!! Pretty please?! If only for leadership, integrity and a better than basic education? MyManDawes. o_O:rolleyes: Would I swap him for TheGreatGrundy?

Absolutely not. Dawes has stagnated since his 1020 GFx2 efforts. Whereas Grundy genuinely can play football. DawesIsDead would be my new Dawes' themed username.
Even for you the Dawes is closed.

Your name could be:

TheDawesIsClosed

We need to use some common sense when discussing our past premiership players who have changed clubs. In most cases the game has gone past them and rather than call them spuds we should always remember them as premiership heroes while being able to recognise that their best has well and truly gone past them. Dawes, Cloke, Brown, Thomas are part of some of my greatest memories of the Pies but to be honest losing them now hasn't hurt us. I would love Heath Shaw back but to be fair to Bucks I was getting so frustrated with his continual bad on field behavior and I think he had to go for the better of all. I can't make my mind up on Wellingham.
Hopefully we can find a couple of smoky talls in the draft who can add something this season.

Last edited:
Even for you the Dawes is closed.

Your name could be:

TheDawesIsClosed
My saintly friend, TheDawesAreClosed would be my grammatical preference, even though, thank God you say, there is only one of him. Having a username with an apparently plural subject attracting only a singular verb would not rest easy with me.

Last edited:
We need to use some common sense when discussing our past premiership players who have changed clubs. In most cases the game has gone past them and rather than call them spuds we should always remember them as premiership heroes while being able to recognise that their best has well and truly gone past them. Dawes, Cloke, Brown, Thomas are part of some of my greatest memories of the Pies but to be honest losing them now hasn't hurt us. I would love Heath Shaw back but to be fair to Bucks I was getting so frustrated with his continual bad on field behavior and I think he had to go for the better of all. I can't make my mind up on Wellingham.
Hopefully we can find a couple of smoky talks in the draft who can add something this season.
By the third sentence I thought you were posting about Anzac Day. Lest we forget and that sort of stuff. If you haven't yet made up your mind on Wellingham, then I doubt you ever will. Let's hope those 'smoky talks' deliver in the draft!

Hopefully we can find a couple of smoky talks in the draft who can add something this season.
I agree, one of my dislikes about big footy is the continued disrespect of past and present players being called spuds. Not so much the word but the intent.
No AFL player should be referred to as a spud, they are the elite. People playing 4th division on Sundays mornings can lay claim to being 'spuds' and no disrespect intended to those footy lovers. But too often 150 gamers with premierships are referred to as spuds, it is just ridiculous an immature.
I was guilty of it my self in my earlier posts but I am trying and have made a conscious effort to not degrade footy players and other posters. I still digress every now and then but I try not too. It is just wrong and once again shows a lack of maturity.

My saintly friend, TheDawesAreClosed would be my grammatical preference, even though, thank God you say, there is only of him. Having a username with an apparently plural subject attracting only a singular verb would not rest easy with me.
You know I actually was thinking the "IS" and "ARE"

Michael Barlow
The out-of-contract midfielder's time at Fremantle appears up. Rival interest in the 28-year-old was limited during the trade period, but as a delisted free agent he could appeal to teams looking to add midfield depth.

Ricky Henderson
The Crows defender has attracted interest in his native Victoria after Adelaide informed him it was not in a position to offer him a new contract. A strong chance to find a new home.

Zac Clarke
The Fremantle free agent is getting closer to re-signing with the Dockers having fielded rival interest as an unrestricted free agent this year.

Mitch Brown
The key defender wants to return home to Victoria after 94 games in 10 seasons with West Coast. After being overlooked in the free agency period, his best hope of being picked up will be as a delisted free agent.

Xavier Richards
The versatile Swans tall requested a last-minute trade home to Victoria but attracted no genuine offers. Swans football chief Tom Harley said on Thursday the club would look to reopen talks with Richards, but he remains set on a move if he can find an interested club.

Dean Towers
The 189cm Swans utility attracted interest from the Brisbane Lions and Victorian clubs late in the year. Harley said on Thursday the club would continue talks with Towers, but his chances of finding a new home appear good if he decides on a move.

Jarryd Blair
The small forward should re-sign with Collingwood, with the parties in a good position to negotiate a new deal now the trade period is over.

Tom Lonergan
Geelong is keen for the veteran defender to play on in 2017 but the 32-year-old has yet to announce his plans. Remains a key part of the Cats' backline so we expect him to continue.

Drew Petrie
The former Roo spearhead is hoping to extend his career at West Coast. The Eagles took Geelong forward/ruckman Nathan Vardy on the last day of the trade period, but are likely to add another experienced tall to help cover Nic Naitanui's absence in 2017, so Petrie's hopes remain alive.

Dylan Buckley
One of a host of out-of-contract Carlton players kept in limbo during the trade period, the running defender's future at Ikon Park will be decided soon. Played just 11 games in 2016 but, at 23, seems well placed to earn another contract.

Andrejs Everitt
Spent time in the VFL this season and could be forced out of Carlton as the club looks to get game time into younger players. Almost made his way to Gold Coast in last year's trade period and, at 27, will have some appeal if he becomes a delisted free agent.

Josh Green
The Tasmanian small forward was hoping for a trade away from the Gabba and appears a long shot to return. Has been linked to Essendon and could find his way there in the pre-season draft.

Mitch Clark
The Cats face a tough decision on the key forward given injury has denied him an extended run to cement a senior position. However, Aaron Black's arrival via a trade with North Melbourne suggests he could be on the way out.

Angus Litherland
The 192cm defender fell out of favour this year after playing 2016's opening four rounds but, at 24, could be retained by the Hawks with Josh Gibson nearing the end of his career. Likely to get an opportunity at a rival club if the Hawks opt not to re-sign him.

Cam O'Shea
In a market where demand for key defenders is strong, the 24-year-old Victorian would likely attract interest if Port can't find room for him on its list next year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-20/players-in-limbo-who-is-yet-to-sign-on-or-find-a-new-home

Lonergan and Henderson are the two best fits from that list. Now we have no full back Lonergan would be a great addition, but doubt he'll leave the cats. I like Henderson and reckon he'd play a bit of footy in our current team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted free agents

Remove this Banner Ad

Back