Demons consider redrafting Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

While I am not doubting the decision, when our captaincy is given to a guy who hasn't even played a game for us, and he is respected more than others at our club that has stuck through all the bs, I hardly think we should complain if players chase a bit of glory.

I guess thats what happens when you win a brownlow. As far as chasing glory goes - arent we all after glory? Wouldnt you chase it with those who supported and guided you?

BTW, When did this turn into a campo thread?

Assuming you haven't seen this guy play?

He is a very useful player who I am genuinely excited about. Great disposal and versatile in a number of roles. Will be in our best 22.

I've got my fingers crossed we secure him - will be the steal of 2009

Ha??? Do you even know what he looks like, let alone watched him play? He is a dud of the highest order, if he is in our best 22, then we have a long way to go. "will be the steal of 2009" :eek:, you have lost your marbles!

Ha??? Do you even know what he looks like, let alone watched him play? He is a dud of the highest order, if he is in our best 22, then we have a long way to go. "will be the steal of 2009" :eek:, you have lost your marbles!
I doubt Brett Ratten and Mark Riley would be chasing Johnson if he is "a dud of the highest order" and incapable of filling a role in our best 22.

Josh Mahoney was a spud and a reject when the Power gave him another go after three years in the football wilderness...

Maybe we should see how Johnson performs at a club with better development coaches and more of an idea than Melbourne before you write his epitaph.

I doubt Brett Ratten and Mark Riley would be chasing Johnson if he is "a dud of the highest order" and incapable of filling a role in our best 22.

Josh Mahoney was a spud and a reject when the Power gave him another go after three years in the football wilderness...

Maybe we should see how Johnson performs at a club with better development coaches and more of an idea than Melbourne before you write his epitaph.

Every time someone writes of Johnson, I wonder why we'd offer him a 2 year deal. Then I remember that Ratts and Hughes know more about footy than I do.

He went out of the game as a nobody - the fans didn't care for him at Essendon and attitudes from Carlton supporters towards him were less than warm. His last game was a non-occasion. Had he stayed at Carlton, he'd likely have gone out with the respect he deserved for what he gave us on the field (before prostituting himself and turning that respect into hatred).

Cool, people can think whatever they like about him.

Point is he'd know that would be likely to occur if he switched teams, and he still did anyway. I doubt he'd regret his decision based on that.

You can't compare Josh Mahoney and Chris Johnson,
a) Mahoney was known to get the hard ball and was courageous, Johnson is a receiver and a pussy.
b) When he was picked up in a strong Western Bulldog side, he started in the 22 but fell away due to his injury, and then was delisted late during the year. Chris Johnson was playing for the magoos which finished on the bottom of the ladder.

I hope he turns to be a good player, but apart from a good couple of games this year between round 12 and 17, he has done crap all. If it weren't for those games he wouldn't even be spat on. I just call it as I see it, and I would much prefer we pick a kid, like HBF said there are many young talented players left, that were overlooked in the ND.

Gee your gullible, Ratten has been in charge of the Blues for a year and a touch, the Jury is still out on him and Riley. I don't think Ratten is tactically a smart coach, (my opinion anyway) but has abundance of passion, whether that is enough to take us to a premiership, we will soon find out.

Gee your gullible, Ratten has been in charge of the Blues for a year and a touch, the Jury is still out on him and Riley. I don't think Ratten is tactically a smart coach, (my opinion anyway) but has abundance of passion, whether that is enough to take us to a premiership, we will soon find out.
Who are you?

Every time someone writes of Johnson, I wonder why we'd offer him a 2 year deal. Then I remember that Ratts and Hughes know more about footy than I do.
You belong on Bay 13...
a) Mahoney was known to get the hard ball and was courageous, Johnson is a receiver and a pussy.
b) When he was picked up in a strong Western Bulldog side, he started in the 22 but fell away due to his injury, and then was delisted late during the year. Chris Johnson was playing for the magoos which finished on the bottom of the ladder.

I hope he turns to be a good player, but apart from a good couple of games this year between round 12 and 17, he has done crap all. If it weren't for those games he wouldn't even be spat on. I just call it as I see it, and I would much prefer we pick a kid, like HBF said there are many young talented players left, that were overlooked in the ND.
Mahoney was picked up after three years in the wilderness...Johnson was delisted last year.

Big difference in the two situations when no one wanted the formed Dog.

Melbourne wanted to re-sign Johnson for two years, not one.

Melbourne have alot of players who are a similar type of player to Johnson on their list.

Daniher and Bailey are as much to blame as Johnson for his lack of games since 2003.

Common sense clearly isn't a strong point if your username is diesel1.
Why don't we pick up De Boer and Pearce who have disposal and fitness issues?

Johnson is a better footballer than you're going to find in the PSD.

People are talking about Carr, Sibosado, Skipworth and De Boer being drafted ahead of Carlton.

Johnson thanks.

Field kicking and kick-ins are still an issue for Carlton.

Johnson can help us out in those two departments if he stands up and has a good pre-season.

I dunno know a lot about Johnson except he became a popular dreamteam option later in the year when he kept racking up possessions in the back half. Could well be both a decent back pocket option for us, and if true, a decent user of the footy in the backline - two areas we're weak in.

Mind you our record in PSDs has been pretty crap lately - Mclaren, Ackland, Pfeiffer...

It's all talk, this re-drafting by Demons nonsense - won't happen.

Be interesting to know what our back-up option is though, maybe it's just our first rookie draft choice.

Amazing to think that Melbourne would re-draft someone that doesn't want to be there. Surely they would be better off taking a punt on a kid, especially considering that there are still some quality kids available that weren't taken in the ND.
Agree.

If the Dees take him then TBH they get what they deserve and have no future.

Drafting someone who doesn't want to be there.........and who a couple of months ago you weren't sure you wanted either......... simply wastes a place on the list........great way to kick off the membership drive.:eek:

Advert:
"So, you don't want to be a member......well Chris Johnson didn't want to be here either.......so come on......go against your own wishes......join Johnno and the others who would rather be elsewhere and get on board...........we're going to be twice as bad this year......think of it as comedy".:thumbsu:

Ker-tching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they had a best available policy they wouldnt have taken Watts......one can only guess who they will take........maybe Pfieffer ;)

I dunno know a lot about Johnson except he became a popular dreamteam option later in the year when he kept racking up possessions in the back half. Could well be both a decent back pocket option for us, and if true, a decent user of the footy in the backline - two areas we're weak in.

Mind you our record in PSDs has been pretty crap lately - Mclaren, Ackland, Pfeiffer...
It's all talk, this re-drafting by Demons nonsense - won't happen.

Be interesting to know what our back-up option is though, maybe it's just our first rookie draft choice.

I think this sums up the PSD overall, in recent years. The good thing about the PSD is it doesn't cost you much (Ackland's contract excepted) to take a plunge & see what happens.

Johnson has most likely been attracted to Carlton by the 2 year contract with little or no strings attached, as distinct from a 2 year deal with strings attached to getting a second year. I doubt the value of the contract is all that high, meaning it is not significantly different to drafting a kid in the ND on a guaranteed 2 year deal. Johnson will play at least some senior football, whereas the kid could end up a total 'bust' eg Clint Benjamin.

If Johnson doesn't measure up after his 2 years, you send him packing with the knowledge that you haven't spent too much in the scheme of things. On the other hand, if he fulfils a role, albeit as a running, outside HB, with decent skills, we are in front. There is not too much at stake when drafting through the PSD.

I guess this is payback for us taking Judd and Warnock... lol. Chris Johnson is being brought in for depth, so if we don't get him is it really going to bother anyone?

For what it's worth, I don't see Melbourne redrafting Johnson.

Your opinion is just that (and so is all of ours) but I know for a fact that the club and "the people that matter" rate this guy through the roof and will be ultra disappointed if we miss him.

There is as much risk with picking Johnson up to picking one of these kids you tak about except that he has the benefit of playing games in the big league (and dominating a couple of them). We could be wrong but my money is on these comments coming back to haunt you in 6 months time (or at least I hope they do).....

Listen to you calling other people gullible when they disagree with your ignorant opinions .

I rate Ratten's knowledge of anything football reated over you any day of the week and twice on sunday .

4 Nov 2008, 09:26 #97
diesel1
BigFooty Member

Unlisted
Other Teams: carlton

Re: Chris Johnson to Carlton?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meh , his nothing to get excited about, never knew about him prior to him being delisted and thats saying something. Rather get Hisplop then softy

You are commenting on a player who you have NFI about ..your own words.

Who is this "softy" you want us to draft after we get Hisplop ?

Listen to you calling other people gullible when they disagree with your ignorant opinions .

I rate Ratten's knowledge of anything football reated over you any day of the week and twice on sunday .

4 Nov 2008, 09:26 #97
diesel1
BigFooty Member

Unlisted
Other Teams: carlton
Re: Chris Johnson to Carlton?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meh , his nothing to get excited about, never knew about him prior to him being delisted and thats saying something. Rather get Hisplop then softy

You are commenting on a player who you have NFI about ..your own words.

Who is this "softy" you want us to draft after we get Hisplop ?

Gee your touche. I would rate Ratten's knowledge over mine every other second and three times on sunday. I didn't say I know more then Ratts. I respect the bloke, but i think he lacks knowledge on match day.

Question. Why would you bother searching up my previous posts, and post such a pointless and stupid post?

Foxtel IQ is great, you should get one. :D

I respect the bloke, but i think he lacks knowledge on match day.
Mick Malthouse, Mark Williams and Rodney Eade would disagree. Even Roos was outcoached this year, but we couldn't finish them off when we had them down.

What makes you form this opinion?:confused:

It will be interesting to see how he goes obviously you don't have too much faith in small rebounding defenders on your list if your going to draft him which is strange considering Grigg and Walker looked promising.

Anyway best of luck to Chris I never really noticed him that much when he played for Melbourne so doesn't really phase me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Demons consider redrafting Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back