Dermott Brereton - a hypocrit and a goose

Remove this Banner Ad

Brereton is an idiot, last week he carries on like a child about Goodes is a coward for going feet first and not having the courage to put his head over the ball.

This week he's complaining that the three Selwood brothers and Shuey get too many frees, all of these players in every game consistently bend over and put their heads over the ball and hence draw more free then players who don't have the courage to "take the hit".

So Dermie exactly which way do you want a player to play???

Feet first or put their head over the ball and take the hits?

Brereton is and was an absolute goose last week and last night after the game:thumbsdown:

As for the Vic media with their pre written scripts and stats about head high frees what a bunch of chumps. One article states that Shuey's questionable free resulted in a goal. Well he actually duffed the kick and didn't even score.:cool: But lets not let the truth get in the way of a good.....I mean crap story.

The Selwood tackle initially was high but not paid, obvious as day but not paid. Then the second one which was paid no camera angle showed exactly what really happened but the umpire was 3m away with a clear view of it. But Brereton and Eddie were frothing at the mouth reaching for their pre written scripts on Selwoods and head high frees.

The blatant bias commentary from Dermie and Eddie was sickening to listen to..........luckily they kept replaying the Naitanui mark and goal cos that was worth talking about.

He is spot on about Goodes and he never bagged the Selwood boys, he just pointed out they train to milk free's. We all know they do we all know they don't break rules and well know they are hard. Whats the problem? you got handed a game because an ump ****ed up but you want a pat on the back too?

In the context of just this game, the Selwood free was no different to Harvey's first goal.

Both played for a free and got it due to poor technique by the opposition.

The footage of Adams tackle is a perfect example of how not to tackle.

If putting your head over the ball gets you high contact frees, why doesn't Mitchell get any? Because his first instinct is to evade tacklers or dish it off instead of dropping the knees and collapsing into a player.

It's a massive myth. Just like 'being first to the ball' wins you free kicks.

He is spot on about Goodes and he never bagged the Selwood boys, he just pointed out they train to milk free's. We all know they do we all know they don't break rules and well know they are hard. Whats the problem? you got handed a game because an ump screwed up but you want a pat on the back too?
He's not spot on about Goodes. For 300-odd games of his career, his sliding action was legal and he found it more effective. You can't just declare it illegal one year and taint his whole career because of it.

i've not even mentioned harvey's first goal which has been bought up several times by others, cause i can't remember it. once again, i'm not irrational, i just call it as i see it. i didn't see it, or can't recall it, so i don't call it.

finally had a look at this. legitimate free to harvey.

my exact quote just after:
Round 8 - WCE v NM - 17/5 @ PS

but hey i'm not an irrational north flog.

and in any case this was harvey very much playing for the free, which was pretty much indicated above too without so much being said.

Have not watched much and just commenting on media reports hey. Gets called for play on plenty of times for it and has pretty much eliminated it from his goal kicking this year. So he took criticism and acted on it, probably at the clubs request. What have you guys done about your issues? This is what this thread is about after all.
Thread is about Derm being a goose. I'd have a look at the game before believing the media lock stock and barrel pal.

I don't mind Joel's shrugging the shoulders and drawing legitimate high contact nearly as much as the Scott/Adam/Shuey/Hams method of throwing the head back like they've been shot by Lee Harvey Oswald.

Thank you. Joel legitimately uses his upper body strength to force the opponent's weight to shift above his shoulders. Whether you agree with his technique or not, the free kicks he gets are genuinely there by the rules. It's rarely noted that the majority of the time, a Joel Selwood free becomes an advantage as he merely breaks through the tackle and plays on. It's not a tactic to stop play - it's an attempt to get the ball moving our way.

There are a handful of players including Adam Selwood, Ashton Hams, Lindsay Thomas, Luke Shuey and Paul Puopolo that will be fairly tackled around the body but throw their heads back as if they've been taken high. At no point are they actually taken high and at no point does the tackle rise about the shoulder.

Thank you. Joel legitimately uses his upper body strength to force the opponent's weight to shift above his shoulders. Whether you agree with his technique or not, the free kicks he gets are genuinely there by the rules. It's rarely noted that the majority of the time, a Joel Selwood free becomes an advantage as he merely breaks through the tackle and plays on. It's not a tactic to stop play - it's an attempt to get the ball moving our way.

There are a handful of players including Adam Selwood, Ashton Hams, Lindsay Thomas, Luke Shuey and Paul Puopolo that will be fairly tackled around the body but throw their heads back as if they've been taken high. At no point are they actually taken high and at no point does the tackle rise about the shoulder.

Joel Selwood pioneered it, the others perfected it, the AFL created an environment for it to thrive.
The game is poorer for it.

Sydney flogs that have just started following footy must remember, it was a contact sport back then. dermie copped as good as he gave, but for Swannette supporters calling him a goose and/or a hypocrite are just as offended as the Hawk fans they claim to be sufferring from said ailment after the GF, for questioning their precious Goodesy.

You are just proving that you are 9.8% more flog than any other supporter base.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pffft, we're an actual football club for starters.

West Coast Eagles Football Club, Established 1986.

you would think someone that writes 87 posts a day on bigfooty would be able to read too.

Ahhh snakey/hart to beat/teffy/mario whatever alias you're going by at any given day. bigfooty will be poorer when they section you off.

Look, as much as I'm loath to admit it Adam Selwood and Ashton Hams do this a lot. In fact I'd say it's the only trick Adam Selwood has left.

However, and I know I'm probably going to get criticised for this, Shuey and S. Selwood have done this significantly less on the whole this year, to the point where it isn't the problem it was. Shuey has been increasingly backing his pace and other change-of-movement tricks to get out of these situations while S. Selwood has been at least dishing the quick handball out when tackled (he still occasionally tries the action, but at least he keeps the ball moving at all costs).

As for Dermott, if it wasn't for his attack on Goodes last week and general history as a player he'd have a point. However, he's got both of those things behind him so he does look a bit like of a goose with his faux-outrage.

The Selwood kick last night was iffy though vision shows the first one was possibly there, the second one wasn't. I think if people want to direct their anger they shouldn't be doing it at the players/clubs; they're the ones that have to navigate the clusterf**k that is the AFL rules system and if they're going to find something they can milk for their benefit we can't blame them, we need to address the loophole - the players will adjust.

Did you not see Scott Selwood throw himself over the boundary line while trying to draw a high free kick. I think it was against Swallow.

It was embarrassing.

I think the dropping of the knees, the ducking the head over the ball should be considered the same as diving into the ball/sliding etc. The only reason Selwood drew high Contact was because he dropped him self like a sack of spuds to try to get the initial high contact free. Could argue because he didnt attempt to get rid of it (despite getting brushed up high) in order to gain a free (more exposure low to try and get a free) it could've been a ball up/holding.

The whole game has changed to keep the ball moving and alive, the ruck contests, the deliberate out of bounds and behinds, why cant the staging and drawing high contact be in the category? Positioning your self to get an arm near your neck should be punishable where its intentional.

Brereton is an idiot, last week he carries on like a child about Goodes is a coward for going feet first and not having the courage to put his head over the ball.

This week he's complaining that the three Selwood brothers and Shuey get too many frees, all of these players in every game consistently bend over and put their heads over the ball and hence draw more free then players who don't have the courage to "take the hit".

So Dermie exactly which way do you want a player to play???

Feet first or put their head over the ball and take the hits?

Brereton is and was an absolute goose last week and last night after the game:thumbsdown:

As for the Vic media with their pre written scripts and stats about head high frees what a bunch of chumps. One article states that Shuey's questionable free resulted in a goal. Well he actually duffed the kick and didn't even score.:cool: But lets not let the truth get in the way of a good.....I mean crap story.

The Selwood tackle initially was high but not paid, obvious as day but not paid. Then the second one which was paid no camera angle showed exactly what really happened but the umpire was 3m away with a clear view of it. But Brereton and Eddie were frothing at the mouth reaching for their pre written scripts on Selwoods and head high frees.

The blatant bias commentary from Dermie and Eddie was sickening to listen to..........luckily they kept replaying the Naitanui mark and goal cos that was worth talking about.
Nice strawman you have there Dorothy :rolleyes:

Did you not see Scott Selwood throw himself over the boundary line while trying to draw a high free kick. I think it was against Swallow.

It was embarrassing.
Yep seen it need someone to post it because it was laughable and would put this argument to rest

Dude why not just come out with it and stop beating around the bush.

The Selwoods at WCE duck but the Selwood at my club does not.

Happy now?

Joel averages the following amount of free kicks per game:

Watch him closely tonight and you will see him earn every single one of them, when I say earn, his intentions are to always win the contested footy first and foremost as opposed to knowing your limitations and then proceeding to milk a free kick out out of it.
You know as well as I do which player from Hawthorn does exactly that ;)

Thread is about Derm being a goose. I'd have a look at the game before believing the media lock stock and barrel pal.

I watched it live and saw the same as everyone in the media seemed to see. Another WC player acting up a free kick in one way or another. Derm is the one that made the initial statement about it but he is sure not alone on his thoughts. Is everyone a goose too? If not then maybe he has a point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dermott Brereton - a hypocrit and a goose

Remove this Banner Ad

Back