Dermott Brereton

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't worked out if he's inarticulate or just in love with his own voice. I've met him a couple of times and he's a lovely fella though.

I recall the day I met both Brereton and Dunstall. Having watched them play I had preconceived ideas of what type of personality each would have. I was stunned to find Dunstall as the "mouthy" practical joker with a real locker room sense of humour, whereas Dermie was the quiet and softly spoken gentleman. To say I was surprised is an understatement.

Look, I can understand why some people may not like him as a commentator, or as a person, but if you cut through this and focus on what he's saying, you find a very analytical football find that is rather refreshing amongst the cliché ridden band of commentators we have to endure. Brereton actually says something that makes you think, which is rare.

Onya Derm ;)

397748-5f9acc1c-25b7-11e4-a9df-29aa57e785d4.jpg

Just wish he'd kept the natural 'do:

250839-dermott-brereton.jpg

Been insufferable today, ruining an otherwise good game of footy with his so call hipster comments ..

(cut to a group of about 20 people in the crowd)

Hudson: Saad's family and friends out in force, he's looked after them with some tickets...
Brereton: Has he??! Fair dinkum?? Get him on board for the memberships!

Wouldn't you love someone to go through the games with the commentators, like the review sessions for the players, just so they could ask Brereton what he thought he was adding to the broadcast with that (and countless other) pointless contributions?

I thought his delight at a neat little Jack Watts tap back in the goalsquare to allow Garlett to volley it through was quite special as well. Whatever else you think about Watts, he's a smart player. Brereton made it sound like a guy that had been in a wheelchair for ten years had just stood up and run a marathon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been insufferable today, ruining an otherwise good game of footy with his so call hipster comments ..
Oh now I need to watch the replay. Watching Derm try to be a cool hipster would be hilarious.

It's not so much his observations - which are usually correct and suggest a deep and serious engagement with the game - that are the problem, but rather the manner of his presentation which is, shall we say, loquacious, and for the most part buries aforementioned observations under an insufferable and unscaleable mountain of verbal detritus which few football fans, glued to their sound and image boxes at the domicile at which they reside, could bear to tolerate for more than the minimum time imaginable.

It's not so much his observations - which are usually correct and suggest a deep and serious engagement with the game - that are the problem, but rather the manner of his presentation which is, shall we say, loquacious, and for the most part buries aforementioned observations under an insufferable and unscaleable mountain of verbal detritus which few football fans, glued to their sound and image boxes at the domicile at which they reside, could bear to tolerate for more than the minimum time imaginable.

Watching the replay from yesterday; good god he was unbearable. blatantly barracking for Melbourne all day which just felt patronizing. It's frustrating because he has some really interesting points but like you said his delivery is cringeworthy.

In my opinion he is a lot like Warne. A few years ago Warne was a terrific cricket commentator. Terrific cricket brain, could often tell what was going to happen minutes before it did and really provided wonderful insight. fast forward and he is absolute garbage - talks about Melb vs Syd debate; ham and pineapple pizzas; beer etc.
Derm has always had a great footy brain. probably the best in the business. I could forgive his long winded summary most times, because at the end of it I was better informed. These days he's a lot like Warnie is now.

In my opinion he is a lot like Warne. A few years ago Warne was a terrific cricket commentator. Terrific cricket brain, could often tell what was going to happen minutes before it did and really provided wonderful insight. fast forward and he is absolute garbage - talks about Melb vs Syd debate; ham and pineapple pizzas; beer etc.
Derm has always had a great footy brain. probably the best in the business. I could forgive his long winded summary most times, because at the end of it I was better informed. These days he's a lot like Warnie is now.
Funnily enough when I complained yesterday on twitter about Derm someone replied saying he is the winter Warnie

Spot on comparison

My opinion is that Warne is like a spoilt kid: he's coming off 20-25 years of people agreeing with him and telling him he's a genius, so now he just dribbles any old crap and assumes that he's being entertaining, intelligent and insightful. Not sure Brereton has the same excuse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dermott Brereton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back