Traded Devon Smith [traded to Essendon]

Remove this Banner Ad

The question would be whether doing that trade for Smith first, and potentially backing Bulldogs management into a corner on available trade currency for Stringer, has merit with Essendon management.
We already have bad blood with the Bulldogs. I doubt we would lose much sleep backing them into a corner. Smith is the priority for me as he doesn't seem as much hard work as 'the baggage'.

LOL yeah im pretty certain Richmond would want something els for #15+#17 for just #11

#11 and #15 there really isnt much of an upgrade here specially when you look at the draft kids and they seem about even from 10-20
It can't be done anyway as the points difference is too great.

We already have bad blood with the Bulldogs. I doubt we would lose much sleep backing them into a corner. Smith is the priority for me as he doesn't seem as much hard work as 'the baggage'.

OK, thanks. I guess it now depends on the GWS trading team as to whether Dev is indeed easier - although on the face of it, I agree he should be.

Well, unless my maths is off, #11 + #28 is 2006 points, only 131 points less than #15 + #17 being 2137 points. Given that the earlier pick carries a touch more premium for most BFers than pure points, it's probably equitable enough, but Richmond may/probably have a different strategy in mind that doesn't make it worthwhile for them

Most of Essendon's clearances come from Hepp, ZMerrett or Parish, we also have McGrath whose ball handling skills are silky smooth, so much so his response times often catch his team mates out and some of Goodard's best work in 2017 was when he was around the contest.

Adding Stringer, Smith and Saad adds speed (which is the real problem) and the ability to hit the scoreboard from the 50m arc, something which was lacking at times this year.
seriously......leave the 50 metre stuff to joe....we didnt suffer from that area....we suffered because we didnt have enough grunt in the middle...simple as that

Seriously think if GWS play hardball Essendon could offer their 2018 first and back it in to be 15+. Stringer, Saad, Smith, another year into Merrett/Daniher/Fantasia/McKenna/McGrath/Parish...

They'd back themselves to be top 4. Worth the risk. Especially if they get away with Francis for Stringer, keeping pick 11.
No way
we had an easy draw this year next years will be much harder and have a bog average midfield
next years first round too good to take a risk.
smith may be worth 2018 second round

OK, thanks. I guess it now depends on the GWS trading team as to whether Dev is indeed easier - although on the face of it, I agree he should be.

Well, unless my maths is off, #11 + #28 is 2006 points, only 131 points less than #15 + #17 being 2137 points. Given that the earlier pick carries a touch more premium for most BFers than pure points, it's probably equitable enough, but Richmond may/probably have a different strategy in mind that doesn't make it worthwhile for them

Richmond's strategy will be to get 2 1st round kids with #15 + #17 and pickup Naish with our 2 3rd rounders
The only issue would be if Naish gets a bid before #17 so that would mean that Naish is rated as a top 15 player in this years draft - He is not and imo wont get a bid until after #20.

I personally think that only #17 could be open to a trade but that would need to be for 2 picks in the 20's and for Richmond to have a significant points gain
eg(#22+#28)

Won't they end up using 11 on Naish and end up getting dudded here?

I reckon they will have their eye on Hayes/Allen/Balta with the other pick.

seriously......leave the 50 metre stuff to joe....we didnt suffer from that area....we suffered because we didnt have enough grunt in the middle...simple as that

You can never have enough guys that can kick goals from 50 out, it adds extra pressure on the opposition backmen.

Won't they end up using 11 on Naish and end up getting dudded here?
I reckon they will have their eye on Hayes/Allen/Balta with the other pick.
Personally, I wouldn't think that Naish would be bid on that early. But yes I think Richmond would have their eye on two first round picks & hope they can get them before Naish is bid on. Hence why they wouldn't do a trade.

However, let me be clear about my comments. They were around the possibility (previously discussed in this thread) of using #11 to get picks that grabbed both Smith & Stringer. Richmond & Brisbane are the only two teams who will provide that possibility in respect of late first round picks. My view is that neither of those teams will want to do that trade because it does not really advantage them - however a trade could be manufactured for both Richmond & Brisbane that is mathematically satisfactory (the latter in answer to a comment that such a trade was not mathematically doable in Richmond's case).

It's still a question of how Essendon gets the trade currency for both Smith & Stringer. IMO Smith is definitely worth a late first round pick, and I'd be disappointed if GWS took any less for him. IMO, a pick next year will not be satisfactory as both Kennedy & Wilson will get traded for future picks & GWS cannot afford to trade all 3 players and get nothing back in 2017 to replace some of them. Those other clubs don't have the currency to trade this year, and with their first round picks as high as #3 & #5 I'm sure they won't be trading down. That leaves Essendon as the club that I think GWS will need to work with to get a 2017 pick - and #28 isn't enough IMO, hence why looking at how they could use #11 to make it work. It's all speculative, and of course Bombers fans will no doubt take a different view because they will want to pay as little as possible.

Personally, I wouldn't think that Naish would be bid on that early. But yes I think Richmond would have their eye on two first round picks & hope they can get them before Naish is bid on. Hence why they wouldn't do a trade.

However, let me be clear about my comments. They were around the possibility (previously discussed in this thread) of using #11 to get picks that grabbed both Smith & Stringer. Richmond & Brisbane are the only two teams who will provide that possibility in respect of late first round picks. My view is that neither of those teams will want to do that trade because it does not really advantage them - however a trade could be manufactured for both Richmond & Brisbane that is mathematically satisfactory (the latter in answer to a comment that such a trade was not mathematically doable in Richmond's case).

It's still a question of how Essendon gets the trade currency for both Smith & Stringer. IMO Smith is definitely worth a late first round pick, and I'd be disappointed if GWS took any less for him. IMO, a pick next year will not be satisfactory as both Kennedy & Wilson will get traded for future picks & GWS cannot afford to trade all 3 players and get nothing back in 2017 to replace some of them. Those other clubs don't have the currency to trade this year, and with their first round picks as high as #3 & #5 I'm sure they won't be trading down. That leaves Essendon as the club that I think GWS will need to work with to get a 2017 pick - and #28 isn't enough IMO, hence why looking at how they could use #11 to make it work. It's all speculative, and of course Bombers fans will no doubt take a different view because they will want to pay as little as possible.

Agree with all that. EFC are going to have to find another 1st round pick, probably from 2018, or they have to get a player off the books, and their lack of depth doesn't really allow for that.

Agree with all that. EFC are going to have to find another 1st round pick, probably from 2018, or they have to get a player off the books, and their lack of depth doesn't really allow for that.
Well, I think that's the nub of the problem. Essendon doesn't want to use its 2018 first round pick and will do everything possible to avoid it. Hence why it will aim to beat down the price of each of Stringer and Smith, and if they can shave each down to an acceptable value that they can obtain ... good luck to them!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the points difference stopped the Hawks/Saints pick swaps last year?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well, I think that's the nub of the problem. Essendon doesn't want to use its 2018 first round pick and will do everything possible to avoid it. Hence why it will aim to beat down the price of each of Stringer and Smith, and if they can shave each down to an acceptable value that they can obtain ... good luck to them!
My interpretation is that Essendon are much more keen to retain pick 11 this year than keep 2018 first rounder. Desperate for a tall mid and there should be one of Bonar, Constable or Fogarty (hopefully haha - Brayshaw or Clark at worst) available. Think Dodoro will try convert Francis into Stringer (pick 16) and offer 2018 first (est. pick 8-15) for Smith and maybe GWS 2018 2nd rounder - something along those lines.

My interpretation is that Essendon are much more keen to retain pick 11 this year than keep 2018 first rounder. Desperate for a tall mid and there should be one of Bonar, Constable or Fogarty (hopefully haha - Brayshaw or Clark at worst) available. Think Dodoro will try convert Francis into Stringer (pick 16) and offer 2018 first (est. pick 8-15) for Smith and maybe GWS 2018 2nd rounder - something along those lines.
This is a nonsensical post
Rankine, Lucosious, King, King, Walsh and Hill would all go very high this year.
We are not much chop and have to retain next years first rounder in case we have a poor year which is very possible.

This is a nonsensical post
Rankine, Lucosious, King, King, Walsh and Hill would all go very high this year.
We are not much chop and have to retain next years first rounder in case we have a poor year which is very possible.
Mainly based off Lloyd saying that he knows Dodoro is extremely keen on someone with 11 in this draft - think it also suits the age grouping they are trying to build going this year as opposed to next, if that is the choice. Obviously everything isn't set in stone but 'nonsensical'? Give me a spell.

2018 picks will be used if we are to bring in Stringer, Saad and Smith - You can take that to the bank.

Mainly based off Lloyd saying that he knows Dodoro is extremely keen on someone with 11 in this draft - think it also suits the age grouping they are trying to build going this year as opposed to next, if that is the choice. Obviously everything isn't set in stone but 'nonsensical'? Give me a spell.

2018 picks will be used if we are to bring in Stringer, Saad and Smith - You can take that to the bank.
Maybe Lloyd is pushing his own barrow to get Schache with pick 11

Huge error if we give up 2018 first rounder.
We shall see.

Yeah that's a fair opinion. Will be very interesting to see what GWS will want for Devon, hopefully happy to cop a mid 2nd rounder!
Bombers start taking unders for players then maybe we will.

Bombers the last club to ask for favours at the trade table.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Haha, I wouldn't take 28 or future 2nd for Smith if I was GWS but you've got to dare to dream. I'd say he's worth pick 17-22 sort of range or a 2018 first round pick with a 2018 2nd rounder coming back to Essendon - is that about the range you see it?

We took 28 for hibberd to Melbourne last year. Was unders at the time and he went AA this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Devon Smith [traded to Essendon]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back