Dhoni banned for 4th Test- Slow over rate

Remove this Banner Ad

His flimsy batting performances speed up the game far more that his bowlers slow the game down.

Glad to see them cracking down on this.

I wonder if Clarke was warned about this recently as our over rates had been atrocious, particularly in the South Africa series. Part of me thinks we were doing it deliberately to make the batsmen have to bat longer at the end of the day (in poorer light).

think it is to do more with day 1 where for a good 10 mins the Indians were calling for excessive padding.
there isn't a rule for time-wasting on the fielding side (yet), and batters can only be timed-out.

can see icc introducing a couple of time-out style breaks to allow for this in the future

The way Dhoni has meekly accepted the ban says a hell of a lot about where the Indians are at mentally.

Given their history, I expected an almighty fuss. But he's no doubt glad to handball the mess to someone else.

Sadly it wouldn't surprise me if a few Indian players came out and declared publicly that they don't want the job.

It'll never happen, but they should ask Zaheer Khan to be captain for the test. Seems to have the mental fortitude that many of his teammates are lacking at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

don't think you can just waive slow over rates if the game is finished inside 3 days. otherwise you let it continue on its endemic path. the officials would have taken note during the game and without knowing how long india were going to bat in their 2nd innings.

It'll never happen, but they should ask Zaheer Khan to be captain for the test. Seems to have the mental fortitude that many of his teammates are lacking at the moment.

He can show his team mates how to crap themselves when they get a short ball. If the Indians stopped annoying the hell out of people and just got on with the game, maybe they wouldn't have over-rate problems.

don't think you can just waive slow over rates if the game is finished inside 3 days. otherwise you let it continue on its endemic path. the officials would have taken note during the game and without knowing how long india were going to bat in their 2nd innings.
Exactly.

Imagine if they let it slide because a game didn't go for 5 days, then banned a player from the next Test (which went for 5 days) if the Series was tied at 1-1.

No problems with this ban - it's about time the ICC started actually implementing RIGID rules, and then enforcing them.

Letting dhoni off the hook for his slow over rate because his team can't bat more than 60 overs would be ridiculous and the next person who gets suspended would have every right to complain about double standards.

The last thing we need is the ICC handing out different punishments to different skippers, international cricket boards/players are temperamental enough without giving them more reason to cry about favoritism.

Lets remember dhoni was warned just a few months ago about this he was then informed DURING the game that he was facing suspension if he didn't improve the over rate and yet nothing was done, he either didn't give a rats or he's too incompetent to get his house in order, either way he deserved the suspension and should never captain a test team again.

I'd like to see a few batsmen warned too. There's a couple of serial offenders who just take far, far too long to take strike for each ball.

The onus is on them to be ready to face the bowling when the bowler reaches his mark. It really is in their best interest surely, if they make the quicks bowl, say 80 of the 90 overs in 6 hours instead of 6.5 or 7.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dhoni banned for 4th Test- Slow over rate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back