Injury Did a Hip Drop tackle just end Naughtons season?

Remove this Banner Ad

The thinking of players is that they won't get a HTB decision unless they bring a player to ground. If they knew they could get a HTB whilst stand tackling, perhaps he doesn't try bring Naughton to ground. (Purely hypothetical of course)
Bloody hell, I’ve found myself agreeing a lot with port fans this week, my grandfather would be rolling in his grave - well, his urn.

AFL teams have been working with grappling experts for the past decade.

To me that “tackle” looked like something out of the UFC.

If it wasn’t deliberate it was certainly a vicious tackle you don’t see very often.

I mean, you'd see a double leg takedown in the UFC - and that'd be a perfectly legal tackle in the AFL.

If you were going to compare that tackle to something from BJJ, it would be simply taking the back with the hooks in. During training/drilling when doing this move, you learn to drop straight to your arse as the attacker. This is because there's such a risk of knee injuries when you're legs become entangled during stand up fighting, and that's exactly what went wrong here - Naughton turned (or was turned) and it put way too much pressure on his knee.

In saying that - while it has parallels to BJJ, it's pretty clear to me that this was a bit of a freak accident and that there was no ill intent.

I mean, you'd see a double leg takedown in the UFC - and that'd be a perfectly legal tackle in the AFL.

If you were going to compare that tackle to something from BJJ, it would be simply taking the back with the hooks in. During training/drilling when doing this move, you learn to drop straight to your arse as the attacker. This is because there's such a risk of knee injuries when you're legs become entangled during stand up fighting, and that's exactly what went wrong here - Naughton turned (or was turned) and it put way too much pressure on his knee.

In saying that - while it has parallels to BJJ, it's pretty clear to me that this was a bit of a freak accident and that there was no ill intent.
Maybe no ill intent, but plenty of precedent in other leagues

Thankfully Aaron escaped a season ending injury. Players like Nick Chubb and Mark Andrews in the NFL weren't so lucky, suffering catastrophic leg injuries from this type of "drag down / hip drop" tackle.

The only reason to tackle like this is to deliberately cause serious injury - that is why it is outlawed in the NFL and should be in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Did a Hip Drop tackle just end Naughtons season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back