Roast Did any other sucker pay up for the Grand Final ticket guarantee when it came out 3 years ago?

Remove this Banner Ad

Build a bridge Froars, slagging the current administration isnt going to bring Wallace back.

And so much for your threat never to return to this board, only to return when it suits your destructive agenda.

Mods should keep an eye on such tactics.

Sorry, I don't think I said I wouldn't return to this board.
I have been away because I've been sick and it's off season.

Shortly after I posted I sent an email to the RFC membership department. Within 20 minutes Cain Liddle called me and we had a chat. The situation was resolved amicably.

Good to hear it was resolved :thumbsu: If we made the GF that package would have been an absolute steal.

Build a bridge Froars, slagging the current administration isnt going to bring Wallace back.

And so much for your threat never to return to this board, only to return when it suits your destructive agenda.

Mods should keep an eye on such tactics.
Posters are welcome to come and go as they please.
Froars contribution to this board has been positive over a long period of time.

Shortly after I posted I sent an email to the RFC membership department. Within 20 minutes Cain Liddle called me and we had a chat. The situation was resolved amicably.

Cain pointed out, and I agreed, that the $75 price was way under market value and that the RFC realised this. The club had to make a regrettable decision but when Collingwood last year, admittedly well in their premiership window, were charging $800 for a similar guarantee then the revenue stream was too important not to make that decision.

I still think GFTG holders should've been allowed to continue on, as an act of good faith, but I accepted the explanation offered.

Great post.
The $75 was a steal because we pretty much had zero chance of playing in the GF.
Entirely unrealistic of anyone to expect this to remain the status quo as we improve.

If we want the club to have one of the biggest memberships inmelbourne, and strong coterie support, there is a price for that, and that will be more of the perks being moved from the general supporters to those who pay more.

This is because not everyone will be able to access these perks (you can only fit so many in a social club, and you can only guarantee so many GF seats), and the club would financially be negligent to not take advantage of this. They will and should use their limited resources to obtain the maximum bang for their buck.

They need cash to compete, and one of the main ways they get this is from memberships. If we want no more Fighting Funds, it's essential this be done.

If we want the club to have one of the biggest memberships inmelbourne, and strong coterie support, there is a price for that, and that will be more of the perks being moved from the general supporters to those who pay more.

Sadly this is correct, it's getting out of the ordinary supporter's capacity to pay!

I bought the GF guarantee since it's inception but bought the social club after that(this year).

I'm not that angry.

Club needs the money and I'm so desperate for premiership success that I will do anything to help.

Just hope Casey after selling his ranch for 25 mill puts in something substantial.

If we have 5 years like the last 5 ,odear the shit is going to hit the fan like a Yasi cyclone.

I believe we can get there.

What's an "ordinary supporter" ? What other types of supporters are there ?

Those who will pay $10k a year for their membership a opposed to $150.

Doesn't make them a better supporter, just one who is able to fork over more cash.

So an ordinary supporter is one that pays $150. Everyone other than that is not an ordinary supporter ?

Actually, there is a good chance an ordinary supporter is one that doesn't buy a membership at all, so the person paying $150 for a membership is already above ordinary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So an ordinary supporter is one that pays $150. Everyone other than that is not an ordinary supporter ?

Actually, there is a good chance an ordinary supporter is one that doesn't buy a membership at all, so the person paying $150 for a membership is already above ordinary.

Off memory I think the Flea said this during Save Our Skins (may be wrong though, it was a while ago), but he said something along the lines of a barracker follows and cheers for the club, a supporter actually supports it by dipping into their pocket to give what they can.

Again this is not about some supporters being better than others. If you have only 5000 seats available for a GF guarantee (bs figure, no idea of real number), do you sell them to the first of 5k of 10k members willing to pay $80 bucks for them, or do you sell them to 3k who are willing to pay $300?

One gives the club $400k, the other gives the club $900k - club needs dollars, and if people are willing to pay extra for something, they are stupid if they don't chase those funds

One gives the club $400k, the other gives the club $900k - club needs dollars, and if people are willing to pay extra for something, they are stupid if they don't chase those funds

Absofrickenlutely correct.

Bottom line.
All supporters will enjoy a Tiger premiership whether they are at the ground or otherwise.

All for one and one for all people!!

Cain pointed out, and I agreed, that the $75 price was way under market value and that the RFC realised this. The club had to make a regrettable decision but when Collingwood last year, admittedly well in their premiership window, were charging $800 for a similar guarantee then the revenue stream was too important not to make that decision.

I still think GFTG holders should've been allowed to continue on, as an act of good faith, but I accepted the explanation offered.

This is total bull#$@%. It is not under market value for a team that has finished 2nd bottom last year. When people signed up at the start of 2009 they knew at best case scenario that a GF would be 6-7 years away. With reasonable incremental increases it would be fair to say that you would have paid about $1000 by the time this happened. WHICH WE ALL EXPECTED TO PAY. Collingwood are offering the same experience for $800 in a year that they have just won the flag. I think the Collingwood offer is more of a steal!

And BTW I am very grateful to RFC_O for his answer and I dont see that he has copped any heat over this. So can a few of you climb out of his ar5e please.

And finally BF, I cant believe you swallowed that sh1t he fed you and rolled over so easy - that is exactly what they are counting on ;)

It makes good economic sense, but try telling that to someone who's been a member for years and years and you tell them sorry, it's down to money and I'm sorry, if you can't afford to pay over and above then you can't get a ticket.
Don't think that would go down too well.

sounds to me a fair kind of **** up, yes $75 was relatively cheap , but lets be honest...most were prob like me and saw as a donation to the point down the track where this donation may in fact realise some gains...at what point god knows. To have the rug pulled 3 years in is outrageous. The social club membership on top of season tkt makes for a bloody expensive year. Perhaps they include the GF guarantee in other premium membership options. In any case more thought needs to go into this than what inspired this in the first place

Much as I hate to say it this is an almighty **** up by the club. IMHO $80 for the guarantee was way under market value - even for a club finishing 15th. The money is to hold your place in the 'line' so to speak, so it shouldn't matter where the team finished.

When they realised this they should have been upfront about it, contacted everyone who had purchased the package and offered a written apology and the option of a refund. At least this would have been up-front about the mistake and their reasons for making the decision.

I think a lot of people here seem more upset about the way this has been handled than the massive increase in the cost of guaranteeing tickets.

The issues I have is that this change essentially means interstate supporters (like myself) cannot gain access to it without joining the social club which is clearly useless as we can barely attend games as it is so the majority would sure as hell not be buying a social club membership.

The rule could have been Grandfathered, though maybe that messes with the allocation to the Social Club.

The communciation about it from the club has also be massively subpar to not just come out and say it from the very beginning. Very average form from the Membership.

However. . . .

They did eXplain themselves

As for "battling families"..... As if I give a shit. Don't over extend yourselves. If you can't afford kids don't ****ing breed.

I will freely admit that yes I have a higher level membership so it doesn't impact me, but the suggestions that people were tricked is off the mark. I'm sure the club had good intentions originally, that circumstances have since changed doesn't mean they were lying originally

Circumstances change, things never stay the same etc etc.

You are correct. Different Admin has clearly identified this as a poor return on investment and rectified it as best they can (though they didnt communicate it).

There are limited numbers available. Once you upgrade to the Grand Final Ticket Guarantee you will have the first right to renew this option each season.

Per the club communication:
[FONT=&quot]For those members who committed to purchasing the GFTG in 2009, the Club’s commitment to you that you would have the first right each season to renew your GFTG will not change. As long as you continue to renew your GFTG, you will continue to have priority to purchase tickets should Richmond play in the Grand Final.[/FONT]

That is a very poor response to a die-hard member. No apology, just refund the money he paid in good faith. If you want people to stay faithful to the club, you should start by treating your members a little better than that and not screwing them who support you when the club is down.

I am absolutely spitting chips over this stabbing in the back!

Since when have we risen? The hype of the tigers on the rise was far bigger when the GFTG was first introduced than this year.

It wasnt real of course but the hype was massive and plenty got sucked in to the vortex.

Sadly this is correct, it's getting out of the ordinary supporter's capacity to pay!

Does have to be? The ordinary membership should be, everything else is a premium the club should be milking as best they can subject to supply and demand. No point leaving cash sitting on the table.

Those who will pay $10k a year for their membership a opposed to $150.

Doesn't make them a better supporter, just one who is able to fork over more cash.

:rolleyes:

Or an extra $265 for an adult and $165 for a concession for the social club.

Lets be real with numbers here. That is a premium but it's not a ridiculous price for the value you get and I think the ridiculous demand for 3121, and also the seemingly strong social club take up reflects this.

Got suckered in to the GF guarantee when it came out, for me and three kids - but to me it was a good investment in the future to ensure finals ticket access - especially being interstate and not being able to release the feral while camping out for tickets !!

Then got suckered in to upgrading me and the kids to social club memberships - this one to immortalise my and their names on the social club wall !!! Thoughts were that i would drop back to standard GFTG after, but kept the social club as I could afford it though got no value other than the finals tickets.

Figured this was my way of supporting the club financially as i refuse to sell raffles etc (just hate that feeling of begging people to pay for stuff, and hard to do in WA with limited like minded Tigers).

I wont be forking out for the FTF - $1000 bucks this year for the return of tickets to one game for each of me and the kids, and the way the calendar looks I might get one game in at the G. $200 per ticket for what is basically general access seating - the club is doing well out of me.

Dissappointed in the change - yes .

Unexpected no - when i joined 16 years ago I was dreading the day when footy got so big that, like US sport supporters, tickets to ordinary games would be bank killers not to mention finals. Knew we were going to head this way and i can see it is on the way - I just hope my wage keeps up with the membership and ticketing costs.

Look out for when we have the 75K members the top echelon will be paying megabucks for finals ticket access, and the rest will not be able to keep up.

Just the way of the corporate sports world that we are embroiled in.

The issues I have is that this change essentially means interstate supporters (like myself) cannot gain access to it without joining the social club which is clearly useless as we can barely attend games as it is so the majority would sure as hell not be buying a social club membership.

The rule could have been Grandfathered, though maybe that messes with the allocation to the Social Club.

The communciation about it from the club has also be massively subpar to not just come out and say it from the very beginning. Very average form from the Membership.

In regards to the interstate membership PHX, an interstate social club membership is discounted and is around about $100 more than the GFG, not that that absolves from how this has phased out.

I think the comment about the social club allocation is critical.

There is a limited number of social club tickets that can be sold ( there will regs in place as to how many people can be in the social club at one time, which will put a limit on the number of memberships that can be sold), but they would aim to sell all available social club memberships.

It could be a case of not having enough grand final ticket allocations being available to service each GFG and all potential social club memberships. Without knowing the figures it is simply guesswork though.

I'm only looking at possible reasons why the situation has arisen, not the manner in which it has here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Did any other sucker pay up for the Grand Final ticket guarantee when it came out 3 years ago?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back