Did anybody else catch undertones of "no more blockbusters at the G"?

Remove this Banner Ad

So, there isn't going to be added blockbusters at the MCG? I am still curious to know where else they would be played. Maybe St. Kilda can set up a blockbuster at York Park or even Bellerive Oval.

Well us freo fans have always wanted more games at the G.

One thing I don't understand is the power that the mcc hold over the AFL. The mcc needs the AFL alot more than the Afl needs the mcc.

Re: No

Originally posted by MGREG
Demtriou was on White Line Fever tonight and said they would not move "blockbuster" games from the MCG as they "care for the fans too much" to try to hurt them.

So he contradicted himself?

So he says he cares about fans of 4 Vic clubs too much to hurt try to hurt them, but he doesn't care about fans of 6 interstate clubs and it is fine to hurt them?

Originally posted by The Scarecrow
So, there isn't going to be added blockbusters at the MCG? I am still curious to know where else they would be played. Maybe St. Kilda can set up a blockbuster at York Park or even Bellerive Oval.

Well, if what Demetriou apparently said can be trusted, then blockbusters at the G will stay.

However, try to remember - no strategy called for blockbuster games to actually be moved. The proposed strategy called for a THREAT to move blockbuster games.

Well while the AFL are at it, why don't they sell off 1 final in the first week of the Finals to WA and SA, it may open the eyes up of the victorian public and they can understand the MCC situation, I bet Collingwood would hate to play a home final in WA just like we would hate to play a home final in Melbourne. Isn't Telstra dome in Melbourne also entitiled to a final in the first week of the finals series?
Although we blame the MCC it is the AFL's fault for signing the contract in the first place and last year the AFL had this problem with the Adel vs Melbourne game and if they wanted to send out a message to the MCC they should of done this in this years draw not threaten like they seem to always do. On Blockbusters this would not happen as it is the AFL who is going to be the ones who suffer when 40k less can go to the game.
One way to hurt the MCC is to give them minimum games, make them all night games so the MCC has to pay penalty rates to all it's staff, and double clash games at the same time in another Melbourne venue with the MCC getting the poorer lack of interest game.

Originally posted by ok.crows
It is not meant to prove anything.

It is meant to get the MCC to the negotiating table with a desire to get it fixed.

It shouldnt, the AFL will look like idiots again.

If they want to fix it why not think seriously. MCC want money to compensate finals and pay for this fantastic new Northern Stand being built.

Maybe the AFL should bring back the whole Super Saturday afternoons at the G in the fixture. Try building blockbusters with all vic clubs, not just the big 4. Get some curtain raisers blah blah. Try build up games, like this Melbourne - Geelong foundation game.

Is there a stat for the average of crowds for day and night games? Would day blockbusters bring more people?

It could become a tourism Melbourne thing again, do what melbournians do go to the G on the Saturday. Dont know about this one? :D

Use the DOME for night games like it should be used IMO. Not only that use the DOME for concerts, Rugby internationals, soccer etc.... Dont the AFL make money out of the DOME. AFL making money out of other sporting codes. hehe fantastic.

The AFL could win both ways, big games at the MCG to please the MCC and hopefully the finals crap out of the way. Make money out of the Dome with other sports and concerts.

Get Carlton to move to the DOME, so that the DOME still gets big supporter base games. Dome wins they get Essendon and Carlton as home tennants, 2 big supporter bases.

MCG hopefully wins with some fantastic Saturday Afternoon games, also Public holiday blockbusters in Melbourne should be played at the G.

And most importantly the People/Fans Win!!!

AFL should stop bitching and think of a real solution, maybe if they planned longer then 3 years in the future, this problem wouldnt be occuring. Seriously why sign a contract like that when your whole plan was to build a national competition. ;)

If the Victorian sides were playing better, we probably wouldnt be having this problem either. :D

Just my opinion. Just getting sick of how the AFL are just such sooky sooky la la. Time for Brian Cook to step in.

Thoughts???

(Oh yeah Grand Final at the MCG, Always!!!)

Originally posted by gocats
It shouldnt, the AFL will look like idiots again.

If they want to fix it why not think seriously. MCC want money to compensate finals and pay for this fantastic new Northern Stand being built.

Maybe the AFL should bring back the whole Super Saturday afternoons at the G in the fixture. Try building blockbusters with all vic clubs, not just the big 4. Get some curtain raisers blah blah. Try build up games, like this Melbourne - Geelong foundation game.

Is there a stat for the average of crowds for day and night games? Would day blockbusters bring more people?

It could become a tourism Melbourne thing again, do what melbournians do go to the G on the Saturday. Dont know about this one? :D

Use the DOME for night games like it should be used IMO. Not only that use the DOME for concerts, Rugby internationals, soccer etc.... Dont the AFL make money out of the DOME. AFL making money out of other sporting codes. hehe fantastic.

The AFL could win both ways, big games at the MCG to please the MCC and hopefully the finals crap out of the way. Make money out of the Dome with other sports and concerts.

Get Carlton to move to the DOME, so that the DOME still gets big supporter base games. Dome wins they get Essendon and Carlton as home tennants, 2 big supporter bases.

MCG hopefully wins with some fantastic Saturday Afternoon games, also Public holiday blockbusters in Melbourne should be played at the G.

And most importantly the People/Fans Win!!!

AFL should stop bitching and think of a real solution, maybe if they planned longer then 3 years in the future, this problem wouldnt be occuring. Seriously why sign a contract like that when your whole plan was to build a national competition. ;)

If the Victorian sides were playing better, we probably wouldnt be having this problem either. :D

Just my opinion. Just getting sick of how the AFL are just such sooky sooky la la. Time for Brian Cook to step in.

Thoughts???

(Oh yeah Grand Final at the MCG, Always!!!)

I have no problem with any of this.

Promote games at the G for all you are worth.

Just - fix the finals fiasco. Whatever is necessary.

That should be the priority.

If Demetriou does not understand that that must be his priority, then he has no idea.

It is not a question of "and hopefully the finals crap out of the way". Getting the finals fiasco fixed should be #1 priority.

All else is relatively insignificant, including any issue of funding of stands at one ground in one state.

Sigh.

Once again, the idea is NOT to move tha games. The idea is to THREATEN to move the games.

Sigh yourself, it is a ridiculous THREAT, because the MCC know that the AFL wouldn't even consider it.

Say what ?

The MCG is entitled to host 41 minor round games per year.

There is no suggestion that next year is any different in quantity of games, only quality.

"All poor games at the G" doesn't say "heaps more games at Telstra Dome".

Lots of "Freo v Melbourne" games or "Crows v Bulldogs" games and precious few "Pies v Richmond" games at the G next year.

I hate the contact as much, as anyone, but the AFL must schedule the best 11 drawing ames at the MCG each year. That is part of the agreement. And besides, scheduling "plus-60,000 crowd" games at Telstra Dome penalizes the fans. Why should the fans have to suffer, because the AFL wants penalize (justly I might add) the MCC?

I think you'll find that the minimum 41 games will be at the MCG next season. These will consist of the usual blockbusters, as well as a lot of smaller drawing games (eg Melb vs Freo). The mid-range games that the MCG might usually get (ge Haw vs Carl, Rich vs Melb etc) might be at Telstra Dome. This way, the AFL penalizes the MCC and no fans get hurt.

Originally posted by mantis
Sigh yourself, it is a ridiculous THREAT, because the MCC know that the AFL wouldn't even consider it.

Sigh again.

It doesn't matter what the MCC think, or if they think they can call the bluff.

What matters is what the paying end-customer thinks.

If the AFL publish a draw (now) which has a heap of low-attraction games to be played at the MCG next season, then it really doesn't matter that the AFL would not intend to actually go through with that draw.

No. What would matter (to the MCC) is how many people were buying MCG memberships for that draw next year.

And how many advertisers were vying to get their signs displayed on the boundary for those games at the MCG next year.

That is what would matter.

That is what would make such a THREAT effective. Even an obvious threat.

Say what ?

The MCG is entitled to host 41 minor round games per year.

There is no suggestion that next year is any different in quantity of games, only quality.

"All poor games at the G" doesn't say "heaps more games at Telstra Dome".

Lots of "Freo v Melbourne" games or "Crows v Bulldogs" games and precious few "Pies v Richmond" games at the G next year.

If the league ran like that we'd all be rattling tins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Dan26
I hate the contact as much, as anyone, but the AFL must schedule the best 11 drawing ames at the MCG each year. That is part of the agreement. And besides, scheduling "plus-60,000 crowd" games at Telstra Dome penalizes the fans. Why should the fans have to suffer, because the AFL wants penalize (justly I might add) the MCC?

I think you'll find that the minimum 41 games will be at the MCG next season. These will consist of the usual blockbusters, as well as a lot of smaller drawing games (eg Melb vs Freo). The mid-range games that the MCG might usually get (ge Haw vs Carl, Rich vs Melb etc) might be at Telstra Dome. This way, the AFL penalizes the MCC and no fans get hurt.

Fair enough on the second point. But the first, its ok to penalise fans outside Victoria (depriving them of seeing their side in a final that they deserve to have at home) but heavens above don't penalise those in Victoria. Get real, this is typical of the attitude in Victoria. Its only when you Victorians put pressure on the MCC will anything change.

Originally posted by Dan26

First point - no problem about 41 games.

I don't disagree that the AFL seems to be displaying insufficient balls to do something about it along the lines suggested, but I question your assumptions here.

What agreement says anything about the "best 11 drawing games" and where they should be played ?

The other question that must be asked is - why should the MCC (or the AFL) penalize the interstate fans as they currently do? Why should the interstate fans have to suffer?

Surely if only the fans of those 4 sides fortunate enough to be gifted blockbuster games suffer - then that is the smallest set of sufferers?

Originally posted by M29
Oh yeah, that'll have them **** scarred that will.

See above.

"It doesn't matter what the MCC think, or if they think they can call the bluff. What matters is what the paying end-customer thinks.

Think of 'no fans buying MCG memberships - who wants to see 41 poor games?'. That will have the MCC scared enough.

The AFL don't have to bluff the MCC. They have to put off ordinary fans from buying MCG memberships next year.

See above.

"It doesn't matter what the MCC think, or if they think they can call the bluff. What matters is what the paying end-customer thinks.

Think of 'no fans buying MCG memberships - who wants to see 41 poor games?'. That will have the MCC scared enough.

The AFL don't have to bluff the MCC. They have to put off ordinary fans from buying MCG memberships next year.

hmmm sounds evil!!! ;)

See above.

People don't look at the draw before buying an MCC membership. The MCG gets the Grand Final, and 41 H&A games, and that's what's important. Of those 41, there will inevitably be plenty of good games no matter who is involved.

The AFL will schedule the big games and the small games at the MCG next year. The mid-drawing games that the MCG used to get will be at the Dome. A game such as "Melb vs Carl" (to use an example) will probably be at the Dome next year.

The really big H&A games aren't going anywhere. The mid-range games are the ones the AFL can play with.

Originally posted by mantis
SIGH

The fans aren't silly enough to believe it either, you really have to think of a more believable threat, if you can.

So you are saying that your average punter looks at the MCG schedule of games for 2004 (coming out in a few weeks time) and sees a heap of games at the G he doesn't give a fig about, he is going to put his hard-earned down for that? When he can get a club membership instead?

Yeah, right. Pull the other one, it plays jingle bells.

See above.

I'm the paying end. And find it hillarious, that the AFL would even 'bluff' about staging a few big Matches at colonial.

Yeah we will fall for that.

So does that include me? Both an MCC and Essendon member?
Knowing the AFL, in all their wisdom, they'd up the gate price(s) again.

Besides, Club Memberships aren't as good value as they used to be. And MCC memberships are the equivelant price of scalped grand final tickets,and Silver, or Gold club memberships, which guarantee you a grand final ticket, permitting your team is playing. And ontop of that, you have to pay another $90 - $110 for a gf ticket.

What agreement says anything about the "best 11 drawing games" and where they should be played ?

That's part of the agreement. The best 11 games must be drawn at the MCG. I'm surprised no one else has rought it up. I've always found it difficult to guess how you gauge the best 11. i.e how do you know how big the games are going to be? But the point of that component of the contract, is to ensure the MCG gets the expected bigger drawing games.

The other question that must be asked is - why should the MCC (or the AFL) penalize the interstate fans as they currently do? Why should the interstate fans have to suffer?

THe AFL aren't penalizing the interstate fans - the MCC are. The AFL want the interstate fans to be able to attend deserved home finals.

Surely if only the fans of those 4 sides fortunate enough to be gifted blockbuster games suffer - then that is the smallest set of sufferers?

Who gains out of Ess vs Coll at the Dome? Everyone loses. The fans lose out, and the AFL would have been the ones to penalize them. The AFL currently don't penalize any fans. The MCC are the ones who do that. It is in the best interests of the game to play the best crowd drawing H&A games at the MCG.

What your suggesting is not the way to do business. It's vindictive and innapproprie, regardless of how unfair the finals contract is. You know this as well as I do. Don't use emotion ok.crows. Be pragmatic.

So you are saying that your average punter looks at the MCG schedule of games for 2004 (coming out in a few weeks time) and sees a heap of games at the G he doesn't give a fig about, he is going to put his hard-earned down for that? When he can get a club membership instead?

Yeah, right. Pull the other one, it plays jingle bells.

How thick are you? as I said the punters won't believe it, because they KNOW the AFL will not schedule games to lose money. It won't happen & seems everyone bar the thick interstate supporters know that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anybody else catch undertones of "no more blockbusters at the G"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back