Did anyone watch the Lions, Pies game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, more like teams like Geelong and Collingwood can have half their regular sides out, play a few quarters and still comfortably win.

Killed our percentage by 3 percent - Geelong could nearly catch us by the end of next season if things continue like this.

Plenty for Brisbane supporters to like, hopefully they aren't delusional and think it means they are close to beating the top teams. There is still a ways to go but deciding to play in the fourth quarter rather than roll over means that the player list has some ticker ... except for Mitch Clark.

Also, not bad for Collingwood as it gives Mick the option of making an example of some players if they are becoming a bit too comfortable with their spot in the team. A huge positive in Didak, a bit of a worry with Reid as I feel losing him would be worse than losing Cloke (in the current balance with Nathan Brown already out and Dawes potentially ready to come back in).

So the basic vibe im getting from Pies fans is that unless they are fully fit in the finals they are no chance.

Well, I'd think we'd need to have a better side available than last night's to win it, yes. :rolleyes:

That goes for all of the contenders. :thumbsu:

I think the biggest concern for us was our goal kicking. Our team was changed up, we didn't play to our structure for 2 quarters and our young kids made a few mistakes and we could fix all that but what we can't fix easily was our crap goal kicking.

I thought we didn't play our best for most of the night but I think the Lions played really well and didn't give up after the 3rd quarter.

Lol'd at about five Pie supporters responding to TheBrownDog's post with a pathetic comeback on why he's wrong etc. Very sad.

Lol'd at about five Pie supporters responding to TheBrownDog's post with a pathetic comeback on why he's wrong etc. Very sad.

Yeah, they had a few out (so did we) and we probably caught them napping a bit, but the Collingwood posters suggesting that they came in intending to do just enough then take their foot off the pedal reminded me a little of...

07-minister.jpg

You don't flirt with form three weeks out from the finals, and Mick is smart enough to know it. The look on his face spoke volumes. Things didn't go to plan.

They are shaky when a side dishes up the pressure. A better side than us (Geelong) could do the same in the finals and have the experience and personnel to finish them off.

That said, the Pies are a hell of a football team. We may have given them the wake-up call that they needed heading into the finals. Thank us later.

Pies just going through the motions. Much like late in 2010. Giving a lot of kids a taste as well so if they're needed come finals. Nothing to worry about here.

You don't flirt with form three weeks out from the finals, and Mick is smart enough to know it. The look on his face spoke volumes. Things didn't go to plan.

They are shaky when a side dishes up the pressure. A better side than us (Geelong) could do the same in the finals and have the experience and personnel to finish them off.

That said, the Pies are a hell of a football team. We may have given them the wake-up call that they needed heading into the finals. Thank us later.

If you look at round 21-22 last season i think youll find that we didnt exactly play our best brand of football

Credit where its due, the Brions surprised me last night, showed a lot of talent and were impressive for such a young list. nomatter who we had out of the side, doesnt change how well the opposition played

fact is though, we had what, 13 more scoring shots? the game was pretty much done and dusted at 3 quarter time... im not too concerned

Positive signs for the lions and thats what impartial supporters should take out of it

Reminded me a lot of the game against Adelaide last year on election night. Only just held on by 3 point I think that game. Was it round 21?

Lions looked pretty bright in parts - should be excited for some of their young kids! :thumbsu:

Went to sleep in the 4th, that's what happened. Darren Jolly even said that on the Sunday Footy Show. Just an absolute boring game after the 3rd, so boring in fact I skipped the 4th quarter and did uni work.

In retrospect I probably missed the best quarter :\

I was stunned to see the score line late tonight.

What happened?
Was Malthouse resting half the side?

Anyone who saw the game care to fill us in?
Firstly yes, half the side was missing

Davis Dawes Krakouer Wellingham Johnson Macaffer Shaw Maxwell Dick* N Brown*

Secondly what player wants to get injured on the eve of the finals in a dead rubber?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We did the same thing in 2010. Struggled to get over Adelaide & lost against Hawthorn in the last round & came out & demolished our first opponent in the finals.

Yeah, they had a few out (so did we) and we probably caught them napping a bit, but the Collingwood posters suggesting that they came in intending to do just enough then take their foot off the pedal reminded me a little of...
Yep - I'd certainly compare the few that you had missing to the 8 premiership players and Andrew Krakouer that were missing for us.

We were 46 points up at three quarter time, and still 42 points up with 11 minutes to go - There was literally a 0% chance of you winning the game.

We would have liked to have performed better, but to suggest that you were close, or in with a chance is totally disingenuous, given that you were in a position that you couldn't possibly win the game from, against a side missing most of its backline.

Yep - I'd certainly compare the few that you had missing to the 8 premiership players and Andrew Krakouer that were missing for us.

Pfft. What ridiculous logic. Se because our players haven't played in a flag they can't be valuable parts of our side?

For the record, 9 of (arguably) our best 22 didn't play, including the best captain in the league, and our two best defenders. Sauce

Pfft. What ridiculous logic. Se because our players haven't played in a flag they can't be valuable parts of our side?

For the record, 9 of (arguably) our best 22 didn't play, including the best captain in the league, and our two best defenders. Sauce

I only count 8 there?
And surely your not comparing the likes of Beams, Polec, Clarke, O'Brien & Lester to any of our outs? I think he is saying our players missing are more valuable because they are better, fairly simple logic.

I'm not overly worried, we did the same thing last year then came out week 1 and blasted the Dogs. Would like to see less injuries though

I only count 8 there?
And surely your not comparing the likes of Beams, Polec, Clarke, O'Brien & Lester to any of our outs? I think he is saying our players missing are more valuable because they are better, fairly simple logic.

I got the logic but to me, injuries are relative to that players importance to the side, not the opinion held of said players by those who may not have even heard of them.

Went to sleep in the 4th, that's what happened. Darren Jolly even said that on the Sunday Footy Show. Just an absolute boring game after the 3rd, so boring in fact I skipped the 4th quarter and did uni work.

In retrospect I probably missed the best quarter :\

Yep, can only be good as the opposition allows you to be and this game was never going to be pretty.. Both sides had notable outs, so it was always going to be struggle to get the running game going.. I'm happy with what I saw, went to the game with no expectations of winning..just to gauge where the Lions were at against the reigning premiers.. even if I had to wait till R22..

I got the logic but to me, injuries are relative to that players importance to the side, not the opinion held of said players by those who may not have even heard of them.
It's not about how good they are - They AREN'T established, important parts of your team like premiership players are to ours. They are young kids who haven't played much footy, which is why people may not have heard of them. Sure, they might (but also might not) be in your best 22, but they're too green to make that assessment. Xavier Clarke, for instance, has only played one game for Brisbane - He's not of equal importance to a premiership player.

Therefore, the relative importance of our missing players is higher, because they are players that have been AAs, placed in B&Fs and have been battled tested in finals and premiership wins.

I was stunned to see the score line late tonight.

What happened?
Was Malthouse resting half the side?

Anyone who saw the game care to fill us in?

Collingwood won

Yes Malthouse was resting half the side

The difference was 1.12

Some Brisbane supporters think it was a "moral" victory

The Lions kids played well and all their players tried hard except for Mitch Clark

Yeah try that in September with about 8 premiership players back and the full press on in earnest :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to the day the arrogance of you and your Collingwood cronies comes back and bites you on the arse.

Brisbane played man on man, and you lot didn't know what to do about it. Simple as that.

Collingwood was never going to lose the game, and yes, there are some more than handy players to come in, but if you're cocky enough to think that last nights game didn't show up a little chink then that's pretty foolish on your part.

I would not be silly enough to suggest that the game changes the landscape a great deal. Even if Brisbane's tactics may have given some of the other contenders something to consider, it's a whole other matter to apply them for 4 quarters against a side that's lost one game all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back