Did We Write Off Hawthorn Too Soon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lucky for us we have Gunston and McEvoy who kick goals.

Who was Richmond's second KPF? The Dogs in 2016?

Let's not bring Zaine Cordy into this...

In all seriousness, a lack of quality KPFs can be covered if you don't have many other weaknesses. I don't think Hawthorn's list is at that point yet.

Well, you do have Simpson and now Mitchell coaching.

Mitchell I think will be great, Simpson, I don't really rate TBH, but that's for another thread. :)

Impossible to say Hawthorn are not in contention after Monday's performance. I think right now Port might be favourites for the flag, as they are pretty scary, but Hawthorn on current form at least can't be worse than about 4th in terms of chances of winning the flag, possibly 2nd.

Impossible to say Hawthorn are not in contention after Monday's performance. I think right now Port might be favourites for the flag, as they are pretty scary, but Hawthorn on current form at least can't be worse than about 4th in terms of chances of winning the flag, possibly 2nd.
Its rd 2!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Port beat a bottom 4 team and a team which seems to never win at home.

No team is going to win a flag with Schoenmakers or O'Brien as their second KPF, Howe and Shiels as their 3rd and 4th best centre square mids, no reliable wings and Kaiden Brand as their only true KPD. So I don't agree that the replacements are already there. I do agree that Hawthorn need to keep adding top end talent and be brave with potentially paying 'overs' for it.

Another quality KPF would be massive. If only one was available in free agency at the end of the year...

I tend to agree, however I then went and looked at our 2015 premiership side; Schoenmakers was our second KPF, Shiels was our 4th mid. No Hill is an obvious difference however Suckling our other wing/half back.
What I’m saying is our side doesn’t have to look awesome everywhere if we play the team footy like we did in 2015. We have shown already this year our team game plan works. Players we can never replace, like Hodge, Mitch & Lewis have been partly replaced by Titch, jarman and JOM - they go as close as we’d hope. We Just get back Frawley Birch and Burgoyne to settle the back end and it’s possible.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No team is going to win a flag with Schoenmakers or O'Brien as their second KPF, Howe and Shiels as their 3rd and 4th best centre square mids, no reliable wings and Kaiden Brand as their only true KPD. So I don't agree that the replacements are already there. I do agree that Hawthorn need to keep adding top end talent and be brave with potentially paying 'overs' for it.

Another quality KPF would be massive. If only one was available in free agency at the end of the year...
Partially agree- but ill say from the players you mention.

Howe is developing very nicely, as is Brand, who has only played 25 odd games and his shown himself to be at minimum AFL quality key defender with a beautiful kick that will suit our style.

Henderson has also been an extremely useful "depth" pick who is now firmly in the 22 as an upgrade on Hartung, and if form continues.. probably Hill, so id say our wings are a strength.

Agree that we need a replacement for Frawley and Roughhead, and that Shoenmakers and OBrien are likely not the answer. Young Mitchell lewis - a developing tall is starting to show good form in the 2s is a hopeful.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Partially agree- but ill say from the players you mention.

Howe is developing very nicely, as is Brand, who has only played 25 odd games and his shown himself to be at minimum AFL quality key defender with a beautiful kick that will suit our style.

Henderson has also been an extremely useful "depth" pick who is now firmly in the 22 as an upgrade on Hartung, and if form continues.. probably Hill, so id say our wings are a strength.

Agree that we need a replacement for Frawley and Roughhead, and that Shoenmakers and OBrien are likely not the answer. Young Mitchell lewis - a developing tall is starting to show good form in the 2s is a hopeful.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Howe is developing nicely but I wish it were a bit more than that. He seems to know how to play a role really well. He can stick to a task and you can tell that he is very coach-able. Wish he would take more games by the balls sometimes, though. He's big enough to be one of the new-age clearance bulls that seem to be all the rage but he hasn't quite shown himself to be clean enough on the deck, or a proficient enough ball winner for that to happen. Titch could use a load off! The closest he's come as far as I can tell is the game against the Pies last year where he largely shut Pendlebury out of the game and managed to get a bunch of clearances himself. He's also usually quite clean with his disposal. He's not a great handball or kick but he hits his target far more often than not. I'm just hoping to see something that says he can be more than a role player and actually be another key piece, because Hawthorn definitely need more of those through the middle.

I agree with the strength of our wings. Hendo has barely put a foot wrong since he came to the club and his form in the first two games has been great. Smith is obviously one of the better wings in the comp. My comment was about who we have to replace those guys if they drop off in the next couple years, seeing as they're in their late 20s (both will be 30 before the year is out). Impey is quick but I don't think he's a wing in the same mould as those guys. More suited to being an explosive contested player like Rioli I think. From preseason talk it seems that Morrison is going to be given a run through the wing at some stage, and he seems like the type who can find the pill and use it well.

I saw a few Lewis games last year and liked some of what I saw. He was super raw and struggled to stay involved in games for extended periods of time when up forward, which is understandable for a 200cm 18 year old. But he did a few really smart things and clunked a few difficult contested marks. I know he moved back at the end of last year and looked solid and now seems to be forward again to start this year. There's definitely a spot for him if he bangs the door down hard enough. He and Nash will be interesting to watch at Box Hill this year.

The only thing better than writing off Hawthorn too soon is making them the frontrunner.

Let's agree the flag is Hawthorn's to lose and they'll be a laughing stock if they don't win it from here.
in fairness, the last time opposition supporters did that it didn't work out too well for them. Worked out well for us though so i say go ahead :thumbsu:;)

We know Collingwood are terrible. It is also possible Geelong are not that good.

I agree with Port though - they are very good.

If hawthorns list in 2015 is what it takes to win flags then hawthorn 2018 won’t cut it. Uncovered some gems but will still be inconsistent.

Midfield is still a glaring weakness. Defence hanging together with sticky tape
1st for Center Clearances.
1st for inside 50’s.

Not sure the midfield is a glaring weakness.

If hawthorns list in 2015 is what it takes to win flags then hawthorn 2018 won’t cut it. Uncovered some gems but will still be inconsistent.

thats a threepeat team v one which could snag a single flag. Its not really the same thing

Port. Tick
GWS. Tick
Suns. Tick

If hawks were lucky enough to finish top 4 with that lot I'd fancy our chances. Not exactly the most feared finals tams going around

Remove this Banner Ad

Did We Write Off Hawthorn Too Soon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back