Did We Write Off Hawthorn Too Soon?

Remove this Banner Ad

I just love how cat fans are claiming they had no backline, and yet ours was missing Frawley, Birchall, and if you count Burger for most of the game, who regularly plays back when we need him to, that's almost 800 games of experience missing from ours. Delusional excuse makers....

I'm standing in the woods behind my place and despite the abundance of trees, there just doesn't seem to be enough wood to touch, to repel some of the statements made by my fellow Hawks supporters. We're only two rounds in. Wait a little bit longer... Please! :grimacing:

I'm standing in the woods behind my place and despite the abundance of trees, there just doesn't seem to be enough wood to touch, to repel some of the statements made by my fellow Hawks supporters. We're only two rounds in. Wait a little bit longer... Please! :grimacing:
I'm not seeing many outlandish attitudes myself, apart from a couple stirring the pot and the ocassional obligatory one-eyed supporter that all teams have.
The sentiment I see the majority have is that its good signs, but early days, which is a valid observation I say.
Otherwise, we may as well shut the site down until June if we're not allowed to discuss what we're seeing.

McEvoy is close to being Hawthorn's most important player in some respects. Take him out, and you need to do a fair bit of reshuffling to cover his absence, which means moving Roughead here, Schoenmakers over there, little guys adjusting to Plan B, etc. And the fact he's just such a smart and effective player - so many times I've watched us get out of potential trouble simply because the ball went to him...

Recruiting second chance ruckmen - Rehn, Salmon, Byrne, Spider, McEvoy - we've done that well over the decades -

I rate McEvoy, was surprised that anyone thought Ceglar was better. Smart footballer.

I just love how cat fans are claiming they had no backline, and yet ours was missing Frawley, Birchall, and if you count Burger for most of the game, who regularly plays back when we need him to, that's almost 800 games of experience missing from ours. Delusional excuse makers....
To be fair they did regularly end up with the less Guthrie one out on Roughie. That's a sign your backline is screwed. They are light on as it is with only Taylor and Henderson as proven key backs. With them out it's a field day

To be fair they did regularly end up with the less Guthrie one out on Roughie. That's a sign your backline is screwed. They are light on as it is with only Taylor and Henderson as proven key backs. With them out it's a field day
Well, we had 'Kaiden Brand' standing Tummy Porkins. Those two matchups are in a similar ballpark...

I'm not seeing many outlandish attitudes myself, apart from a couple stirring the pot and the ocassional obligatory one-eyed supporter that all teams have.
The sentiment I see the majority have is that its good signs, but early days, which is a valid observation I say.
Otherwise, we may as well shut the site down until June if we're not allowed to discuss what we're seeing.
Why quote my post to talk drivel. That was more about me than what others have written. But you obviously aren't smart enough to read between such lines.

Why quote my post to talk drivel. That was more about me than what others have written. But you obviously aren't smart enough to read between such lines.

Wow, so sorry to have politely disagreed with you.
I merely pointed out that I haven't been getting that same sentiment from the hawks fans as you......... its an opinion.
Whether or not it was a misunderstanding of your post, its no excuse for you to be so rude.

But you obviously aren't smart enough to read between such lines.

flipping LOL, righto Will Hunting.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, so sorry to have politely disagreed with you.
I merely pointed out that I haven't been getting that same sentiment from the hawks fans as you......... its an opinion.
Whether or not it was a misunderstanding of your post, its no excuse for you to be so rude.
Apology accepted. Please accept mine.

ruddy LOL, righto Will Hunting.
Good movie

They're a side that on their day, can beat practically anyone. Still got a very competitive list, wouldn't be surprised if they make the 8 and cause a lot of problems

Fought tough against reigning premiers. 2 goal loss. Promising signs.
Yea still very early in the season but shows we probably are just a tier below the very top teams at the moment, but still shows we can contend with any team. long season ahead though.

Fought tough against reigning premiers. 2 goal loss. Promising signs.
Though I think they'll be there abouts, two goals was very flattering to Hawthorn in the end. Richmond really eased off, and haven't really gotten out of second gear this year, September version of Richmond would've kept it 30 plus, april Richmond doing enough to get the win.

Though I think they'll be there abouts, two goals was very flattering to Hawthorn in the end. Richmond really eased off, and haven't really gotten out of second gear this year, September version of Richmond would've kept it 30 plus, april Richmond doing enough to get the win.
Promising indicators for Hawthorn nevertheless. Didn't get beaten too heavily in i50's, won the clearances, contested possession... Good signs against one of the best teams.

Hawthorn were predominantly poor today.

That being said, they won contested football, won the clearances and despite continually handing the ball back to Astbury and Rance with poor decision making, lost by a couple of kicks.

Not a great day, but some ok moments.

Promising indicators for Hawthorn nevertheless. Didn't get beaten too heavily in i50's, won the clearances, contested possession... Good signs against one of the best teams.
Yep fair enough, it's an even comp, they're not top 4, they'll be in the 5th to 12th range so in that sense anything could happen but I just don't think they will be good enough to beat the top class come the pointy end of the season.

Not a top tier team. They're a second grade team led by a second grade star. They are behind Adelaide, Port, Sydney, GWS, Richmond and Geelong. Just like Tom Mitchell is behind the true A+ players: Martin, Dangerfield, Buddy, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Did We Write Off Hawthorn Too Soon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back