Division 2 thread 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Keep the lid on Cliffy, remember the Rams aren't worthy of being in Division 2. The experts say we are just the best of the cellar dwellers.

Not massive gaps between Divs 1-2-3. If youā€™re a good side in D2 or D3 youā€™ll go alright in the next level up.

As for being worthy, weā€™ll itā€™s not their fault Warrandyte declined to go up.

Looks a decent comp at this early stage. Youā€™d say Oakleigh and Knox look off the pace but the most of the scores for the rest look pretty close over a couple of weeks.

With the Easter break, a few teams get to rest their players up. Cameron Cloke hammy looks like a month out. Be interesting in the next few games.

Missed the ressies. Oakleigh is just a bit over 1%. A combined score over two rounds of 5 points. 4 in round 1 and 1 in round 2. Seniors 100 point loss in round 1, 120 point loss in round 2. It happens to a lot of clubs and I have witnessed it firsthand. In saying that is Division 2 in the EFNL a bridge too far?

Last edited:
Missed the ressies. Oakleigh is just a bit over 1%. A combined score over two rounds of 5 points. 4 in round 1 and 1 in round 2. Seniors 100 point loss in round 1, 120 point loss in round 2. It happens to a lot of clubs and I have witnessed it firsthand. In saying that is Division 2 in the EFNL a bridge too far?
It was always going to be. They would have struggled this year even if theyā€™d stayed in their old comp in Div 2. Long year ahead for the new boys in the comp

Weā€™re only two games in but not great signs. First and seconds getting slaughtered, no under 19s or juniors so they wonā€™t be developing their own but taking from others - in an area which is not exactly a growth region.

It was a very dodgy move by the EFNL to bring them in but hey, itā€™s all about new clubs, keep pumping up those numbersā€¦

Weā€™re only two games in but not great signs. First and seconds getting slaughtered, no under 19s or juniors so they wonā€™t be developing their own but taking from others - in an area which is not exactly a growth region.

It was a very dodgy move by the EFNL to bring them in but hey, itā€™s all about new clubs, keep pumping up those numbersā€¦

Will never happen I would think but perhaps EFNL should look at Oakleigh Districts playing D3 seeing there is a bye there.We all know what happens with clubs that are struggling on field the lack of off field support drops off.

Will never happen I would think but perhaps EFNL should look at Oakleigh Districts playing D3 seeing there is a bye there.We all know what happens with clubs that are struggling on field the lack of off field support drops off.

Just creates a bye in D2. Itā€™s only Round 2. They might not go too badly as the year goes on. Just the early signs arenā€™t great and I think probably shines a bit of a light on the leagueā€™s approach here: just get new clubs. No questions asked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just creates a bye in D2. Itā€™s only Round 2. They might not go too badly as the year goes on. Just the early signs arenā€™t great and I think probably shines a bit of a light on the leagueā€™s approach here: just get new clubs. No questions asked.

There is a bye in D3 any way which would get rid of it but I think a more competitive Oakleigh District,s future is the No.1 aim at the moment.Agree lets wait till the end of R4.

Whitehorse Leader

East Burwood unbeaten after two rounds in Division 2

Itā€™s been an unblemished start for East Burwood in a higher division. Hereā€™s how itā€™s managed to make the flawless jump.

East Burwood has sent a message to its critics with an unbeaten start to the season. The Rams have had no worries starting life in the Eastern leagueā€™s Division 2 so far, posting two convincing wins in the opening fortnight. Theyā€™ve accounted for Knox (51 points) and Templestowe (57 points) after accepting the Eastern leagueā€™s offer of promotion at the end of last season. The club finished in second spot in Division 3 in 2021 ā€“ Warrandyte had finished on top and was offered promotion first but declined the invitation. It was the second promotion for the Rams in two years, after finishing runner-up in 2019 in Division 4 and requesting a move. East Burwood senior coach Stuart Wynd said it was imperative his side started the season well to justify the jump. ā€œItā€™s a bit of an unknown going up, we werenā€™t too sure how we were going to go,ā€ he said. ā€œI mentioned that before Round 1 that we needed to justify going up ā€“ we didnā€™t want to be a side that goes up and comes straight back down again. ā€œThereā€™s quite a bit of outside noise, giving us a bit of stick ā€¦ thereā€™s a bit of justification by playing well early (and) I think thereā€™d be quite a few people ready to give us a whack if we had lost our first couple of games.ā€

The Rams have fielded a new-look side with 11 new players in the opening two rounds, most of which are around the 20-year-old mark.

Wynd said theyā€™ve ā€œcertainly made a difference in the first two weeksā€. Among those is Chris Spiteri, who kicked three goals on debut against the Dockers on Saturday. Another is emerging tall Jaymie Kempson who has featured in the best in consecutive weeks. Heā€™s helped fill the void in the absence of outgoing talls Jai Middleton (Wangaratta) and Jarrod Stafford (Stawell). ā€œKempsonā€™s been sensational for us,ā€ Wynd said. ā€œHeā€™s mainly a forward but weā€™ve been using him as our back-up ruckman ā€“ weā€™re not a tall team and weā€™re still lacking a bit of height ā€¦ a couple of our bigger guys are out injured at the moment. ā€œHeā€™s been really competitive and a great young kid who loves playing footy, only a 19-year-old as well.ā€

Wynd also pointed to the experienced crewā€™s output, with the likes of defender Eddie Rixton and midfielders Jason Kennedy and Matt Mariani among those leading the charge. ā€œOur senior core group are playing good footy as well,ā€ he said. ā€œWe lost eight senior players out of last yearā€™s team so that was a real concern and we lost a lot of our height. ā€œWeā€™ve brought in a heap of kids, theyā€™re keen and have made a huge difference to our team.ā€

East Burwood hosts Mulgrave in Round 3 after the Easter break.

Certainly a very good start by EB. I didn't read much into the Knox result as they seem to be battling but a fantastic win over Templestowe. Another interesting game this week in Mulgrave for which you'd have to have them favourites to go 3-0 which surely puts them on the fast track to finals. I'm not sure how things are going at Mulgrave but I did notice they were very close to Ringwood all day last week, so could be a good game.

Certainly a very good start by EB. I didn't read much into the Knox result as they seem to be battling but a fantastic win over Templestowe. Another interesting game this week in Mulgrave for which you'd have to have them favourites to go 3-0 which surely puts them on the fast track to finals. I'm not sure how things are going at Mulgrave but I did notice they were very close to Ringwood all day last week, so could be a good game.
Expected to win and winning are two different things. Be interesting team selection as they get a few back.

Hard to tell about Mulgrave. Well beaten in the first game by Boronia and very competitive against Ringwood in the second. It might indicate just how strong Boronia will be this year. They may well be the surprise standout team.
Some interesting games coming up this round, with two early favourites, Templestowe and Sth Belgrave playing.
The following round EB play Boronia.

Last edited:
Tempy - early favourites? Gap between their best players & 22nd player is too large. 4 of their recruits were in the best players against the Rams & they still got touched up. Coming from a long way back, a season or two off it.

Mully - similar - also rely on too few. Siakolous, J Gervasoni & the old fella Boothy. If these boys have big ones they can be competitive. Boothy is amazing, older than Cliff (not G) still stands up every week.

Last edited:
Tempy - early favourites? Gap between their best players & 22nd player is too large. 4 of their recruits were in the best players against the Rams & they still got touched up. Coming from a long way back, a season or two off it.

Mully - similar - also rely on too few. Siakolous, J Gervasoni & the old fella Boothy. If these boys have big ones they can be competitive. Boothy is amazing, older than Cliff (not G) still stands up every week.

I recall going to a game there with a mate would easily be 10+ years ago, perhaps a fair bit more, he killed them, think he kicked 8 or 10. I guess some blokes just have that strange knack like KB, Boomer, Fletcher, they can just keep going.

I say ā€œstrange knackā€, itā€™s probably just a lot of hard work to keep themselves fit and not eating the wrong things, unlike most of us.

Had this conversation on the old ELF forum with Hitman after Boothy had kicked 8 against us. I suggested that he might end up being poached but Hitman assured me he would stay for his mates, pies and beers. If I remember correctly the emphasis was on BEER.

Last edited:
Oakleigh should be in Div4. It embarrassing. Wait to see what they are getting beaten by in round 10. I think there are too many lower division clubs who get fearful that a new club is going to go through undefeated like Donvale United did decades ago and now the league has over corrected. Who even cares if Oakleigh did win Div 4 undefeated? If you get a club to flip leagues surely you need to give them the best chance to succeed?

There is no Coldstream, East Burwood or Fairpark in Div 4 anymore so the standard has dropped considerably. We saw this last year how easy Coldy had it without East Burwood or Fairpark.

Great comeback from the Rams who fell behind by 2 goals, after a couple of iffy frees with about 12 min to go, to win by 12 points.
Good standard game, lots of continuous run from both sides. Rams just a little bit fitter in the end.

Oakleigh should be in Div4. It embarrassing. Wait to see what they are getting beaten by in round 10. I think there are too many lower division clubs who get fearful that a new club is going to go through undefeated like Donvale United did decades ago and now the league has over corrected. Who even cares if Oakleigh did win Div 4 undefeated? If you get a club to flip leagues surely you need to give them the best chance to succeed?

There is no Coldstream, East Burwood or Fairpark in Div 4 anymore so the standard has dropped considerably. We saw this last year how easy Coldy had it without East Burwood or Fairpark.

I reckon the D4 clubs who have been there for a few seasons are actually trying to improve and get better would care if a new club came in and just wrote a season off by smashing everybody and going undefeated.

I dunno, good luck to Oakleigh but still now nobody has really explained why they moved leagues and why the EFNL wanted them (except they are obsessed with expansion).

Maybe Iā€™m a bit sympathetic to the SFNL but I really have no idea why Oakleigh moved and it canā€™t be easy for stability when clubs are wanting out of your league constantly and being poached by other leagues.

Thereā€™s two sides to every story I suppose, Oakleigh may have their reasons.

Great comeback from the Rams who fell behind by 2 goals, after a couple of iffy frees with about 12 min to go, to win by 12 points.
Good standard game, lots of continuous run from both sides. Rams just a little bit fitter in the end.
Yes, was a great game. Love come from behind wins, EB was a bit better all day so would have been robbed if they got done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Division 2 thread 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back