Do any AFL player's smoke?

Remove this Banner Ad

Im still at the age where i go out a few nights a week drinking in bars/nightclubs etc.

As a result i see many AFL footballers who go out partying and even manage to have a few convos with them.

I can tell you now that you would be VERY surprised how many footballers you will find smoking. I've seen quite a few who readily smoke when they are out drinking but couldnt tell you if they smoke in day to day life.

I think many of them smoke "socially" when having a beer. Dont want to mention any names but i've seen it happen, and dont really agree with it. If i was a pro athlete id definately do all i could to be in peak condition.

Few seasons ago (Judge was in charge of us) I was sitting just in the bbq area of the clubrooms tuckin into the free beers (noice!) straight after the game and wirra and peter matera snuck out for a quick ciggie where everyone couldn't see them. Quite funny since they were probably the 2 quickest and hard running guys in our team at that point. I'd be very surprised if wirra still smoked though.
the thing is these guys train and run so hard that a ciggie or 2 would make a pretty negligible difference. Don't think they'd be chaining them though. haha

Heaps of Melbourne players smoke socially. Whether or not they're actually everyday smokers I wouldn't know, but I would say it's unlikely.

Sylvia
McLean
Miller
Cam Hunter (few years back)
Carroll
Holland

Just to name a few.

When i was in the Pie club rooms after the 1990 GF Gavin Crossica was putting a few away (who can blame him after a flag though).

And the classic, a few mates of mine went to Melb in the late 90's & (through someone who worked at the club) ended up at some Carlron function. They were in the toilets blowing a joint when a pretty pissed Peter Dean walked in. Apparently one of my mates grabbed Dean and started to blow him a "shottie", to which he was delighted !!!*

*Mr Dean may not have known it was dope, so therefore was not a willing drugtaking participant**

** Like bloody hell.

bresker said:
Jono Hay, in the preseason.

That's not a surprise to anyone. It would be more surprising if he didn't.:)

Wouldn't just be ciggies either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GoOsH1 said:
the thing is these guys train and run so hard that a ciggie or 2 would make a pretty negligible difference. Don't think they'd be chaining them though. haha

Thats the thing, they work so hard to get the smallest edge on their competitors why give it back. Even a few makes a difference.

I dont know why anyone does it let alone footy players, work with people that have COPD and it will sure as hell stop ya.

BBFFC said:
Thats the thing, they work so hard to get the smallest edge on their competitors why give it back. Even a few makes a difference.

I dont know why anyone does it let alone footy players, work with people that have COPD and it will sure as hell stop ya.
Exactly, they're professional athletes and if they can abstain for so long from ciggies, why would they have the need to have a little one every now and then?

Brock, Archer Houlihan TJ.. to name a few

actually been approached by a few players from various clubs was to getting hands on 'goods' aswell, when out on the town. Not that it is any of our business what they do in their private time!

Remove this Banner Ad

Do any AFL player's smoke?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back