Do any AFL player's smoke?

Remove this Banner Ad

Kooley said:
malcom blight and david rhys jones smoke.

I remember seeing Malcolm Blight smoking back in 1982 when I saw him in the bar of the Hotel Victoria in Little Collins Street. His lungs, bronchial tubes, etc., must be well and truly shot by now if he's smoked ever since.

I swear I saw Paul Van der Haar in the quarter time huddle holding one, farmer grip, at Windy Hill. They were the good old days.

SydneyDon said:
I swear I saw Paul Van der Haar in the quarter time huddle holding one, farmer grip, at Windy Hill. They were the good old days.

Remember hearing Tim Watson say once the he picked up Van der Haar to drive him out to Waverly Park for a game, Vaners had been on the piss the night before and only had a few hours sleep, he polished off two egg and bacon sandwiches on the way as well as half a doz Craven A’s (strong cigarettes) and the proceeded to be best on ground. Apparently Vanders was one of those player the more hung over he was the better he would play

SydneyDon said:

That is GOLD! They were good old days indeed! If a player did that these days it would be front-page news for 12-18 months.

Sylvia Saint said:
Heaps of Melbourne players smoke socially. Whether or not they're actually everyday smokers I wouldn't know, but I would say it's unlikely.

Sylvia
McLean
Miller
Cam Hunter (few years back)
Carroll
Holland

Just to name a few.

Brock smokes. Good on him too.

"To anyone who has a problem with people smoking I suggest taking a look around at the world in which we live and shutting the **** up" - Bill Hicks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GoYouBlues said:
I remember seeing Malcolm Blight smoking back in 1982 when I saw him in the bar of the Hotel Victoria in Little Collins Street. His lungs, bronchial tubes, etc., must be well and truly shot by now if he's smoked ever since.
He gave up at some stage, I don't know when. Met him outside the Premiership dinner in 98 lighting one up for his wife - he took just a little more drag than was needed to get it going :p

wce4premiership said:
I can't see the point in socially smoking. It does nothing good for you and i'd personally rather just drink.

drinking ain't much good for you either.

rick James said:
Car accidents = premature death - do you drive?

Yes but they are things you cannot controll , you can controll wether you smoke or not and if you do you are gauranteed lung damage. It is slow suicide. No benefits from it only pain.

And alcoholism is not good for you nor is binge drinking regularly, but the ocasional social 2 or 3 does not do the harm that cigarette smoking does.

COPD costs this country nearly 900 million per annum, 90% of that is reversible and entirely due to smoking.
Reference:
COPD-X PLAN, 2006; Eisner, 2005; Lomas & Silverman, 2001

BBFFC said:
Yes but they are things you cannot controll , you can controll wether you smoke or not and if you do you are gauranteed lung damage. It is slow suicide. No benefits from it only pain.

And alcoholism is not good for you nor is binge drinking regularly, but the ocasional social 2 or 3 does not do the harm that cigarette smoking does.

COPD costs this country nearly 900 million per annum, 90% of that is reversible and entirely due to smoking.
Reference:
COPD-X PLAN, 2006; Eisner, 2005; Lomas & Silverman, 2001
Don't waste your breath (or fingers!) BBFFC, Rick James thinks he is James Dean, "live hard die young, don't give a $hit about anyone else, type of dude". Have a look at some of his previous posts;)

unexplained said:
Always made me laugh playing at Hagley in Tas years ago, as the interchange player would hand over his smoke to the player coming off.

You played at Hagley! Do ya remember playing against Cressy? Yeah, those days were great. The coach would be puffing on a *** while he gave his half time address. Brilliant.

Peter Matera was a chain smoker - certainly did'nt seem to effect his engine or aerobic fitness!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Do any AFL player's smoke?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back