Do essendon deserve the number 1 draft pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

76b.gif

Whether its the right or wrong decision its done now. If it was going to be stripped off them it needed to be done years ago, not now.

Pointless thread

What do you mean years ago?

Last year was when the right thing could have been done.
Simply give Essendon the pick in line with their 2015 finish.
No-one would have had cause for complaint and it would have been seen as fair for everyone.....even Essendon supporters. Can't argue against it.

Of course they don't and this was the No.1 question everybody asked as soon as they were banned for systematic drug cheating by a higher NEUTRAL governing body.

I have no faith in the AFL to deny them the No.1 pick which they have earned through cheating the system and the AFL initially tipped them off they were being investigated in the first place FFS and did everything they could to protect their own brand even though WADA held a level of common sense and came over the top trumping the AFL and ASADA who are both gutless Tigers that have no teeth.

Rest assured the No.1 draft selection is coming for them and whether or not you like it learning to accept the ineptness that runs our great game will be beneficial for all as nothing will ever change.

Do you know just how much credibility Essendon would have garnered for putting forward what I suggested, to the AFL?

It would have meant dropping down from the pick #1 to pick #4 but much would have been forgiven and a lot would have been respected.

Certainly not Essendon fault for accepting what was given.........but an opportunity missed, for mine.

Drug cheats forever and regardless of their supporters joy of a No.1 pick next year this stain will never go away even in 2 decades time.

Only sports team in this countries history that has been found guilty by a neutral governing body of a systematic drug doping regime.

The Bombers were kicked out of finals and stripped numerous draft picks. Massive punishment that happened years ago. You can't just decide to punish a club again 3 years later just because you don't feel the original punishment was harsh enough.

If anyone can, it's the AFL administration.

Do you know just how much credibility Essendon would have garnered for putting forward what I suggested, to the AFL?

It would have meant dropping down from the pick #1 to pick #4 but much would have been forgiven and a lot would have been respected.

Certainly not Essendon fault for accepting what was given.........but an opportunity missed, for mine.
If the AFL waited until the verdict we wouldn't get pick 1.

Everyone was fine with the punishment before the verdict, now they are complaining more.

Soooo much complaining.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drug cheats forever and regardless of their supporters joy of a No.1 pick next year this stain will never go away even in 2 decades time.

Only sports team in this countries history that has been found guilty by a neutral governing body of a systematic drug doping regime.
Please take the drug talk to the dedicated board.

I thought you'd know better.

Maybe they could get pick one but the bloke turns out a bit of a disappointment? I see this as a solution that could work for all parties. Or even skip the draft altogether this year and start again next year so nobody gets picks. Or shut down the competition for a few years.

I'm still deciding whether I like this thread the best of all the threads on this topic. I think it breaks even so far.

I would argue there is historical precedent for this. Carlton with their 3 #1 draft picks in a row - why were they so bad again? Oh yeah because they got punished for salary cap cheating when they were already a terrible team.

Besides as I can recall last year and this preseason prior to bans everyone thought we'd be one of the bottom teams and possibly wooden spooners anyway. After all only Essendon supporters thought that the WADA charges impacted our performance last year so we were genuinely a terrible team. So maybe we do deserve a top pick anyway. As after all the whole idea that we don't deserve it is based on the idea that we are too good to get the #1 pick.

It hardly matters anyway. We will either get pick #1 or in the extremely unlikely case where they grant a priority pick to Brisbane then we will get pick #2. Yeah we will probably be a lot better next year but its not like we will be in flag contention or anything. At best we will be a middle of the road side - maybe sneaking into finals if all goes to plan.

The Bombers were kicked out of finals and stripped numerous draft picks. Massive punishment that happened years ago. You can't just decide to punish a club again 3 years later just because you don't feel the original punishment was harsh enough.
Essendon got less of a punishment from the AFL for the WHOLE team taking drugs than Adelaide for not declaring payment from Balfous to Tippett, we were still under the Salry csp we just didn't put forth the correct papper work, not to mention we copped Melbourne's punishment for Tanking, because Bailey worked for us and then died!! Then Walsh died like **** No they don't deserve the number 1 pick.

Essendon got less of a punishment from the AFL for the WHOLE team taking drugs than Adelaide for not declaring payment from Balfous to Tippett, we were still under the Salry csp we just didn't put forth the correct papper work, not to mention we copped Melbourne's punishment for Tanking, because Bailey worked for us and then died!! Then Walsh died like **** No they don't deserve the number 1 pick.
I'm sorry that some people unexpectedly die but that's not how it works.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

What the hell do the tragic deaths of Dean Bailey and Phil Walsh have to do with this? Pretty pathetic that you'd stoop so low as to bring them up just to score a few cheap points.

Removed from finals
3 million in fines
12 players suspended
2 years of draft picks
Coach 12 months ban
entire football department sacked or stood down

against
2 years of draft picks
500k fine

Yep. Crows easily worse off

If the AFL waited until the verdict we wouldn't get pick 1.

Everyone was fine with the punishment before the verdict, now they are complaining more.

Soooo much complaining.

I was never part of that 'everyone'
I knew it was wrong then and I know it's wrong now. No need to procrastinate. It's very simple.

I was never part of that 'everyone'
I knew it was wrong then and I know it's wrong now. No need to procrastinate. It's very simple.
Fair enough, I take back my everyone comment and replace it with most people

Remove this Banner Ad

Do essendon deserve the number 1 draft pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back