Do Richmond deserve to be in the AFL - A discussion on the merit of relegation zones

Remove this Banner Ad

never ever gonna happen. Why? Money. What happens if eventually 10-15 years down the track there is no team in QLD or NSW? how much money will the AFL lose, whos going to replace those teams.

Not to mention cash lost on club memberships and attendence. If you think Claremont would pull a crowd even in WA, sadly you are wong. 10k at subi for home games.

never ever gonna happen. Why? Money. What happens if eventually 10-15 years down the track there is no team in QLD or NSW? how much money will the AFL lose, whos going to replace those teams.

Not to mention cash lost on club memberships and attendence. If you think Claremont would pull a crowd even in WA, sadly you are wong. 10k at subi for home games.

Well that's stupid, West Coast have 5-6k worth of people on a waiting list, a fair portion of that list would hop on board.

I think youn underestimate the popularity of the sport here, there is no competition here in the winter months, none at all.

With enough investment a third football side in W.A would easily attract 30k to each of its matches over time.

Hell, East Perth and West Perth are considering making a bid for a birth.

They don't just have it in the EPL; it's huge hierarchical structure of leagues across the country - with automatic promotion and relegation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_league_system#The_system

You can start a team in the Mid-Sussex Football League Division Ten and by merit you could rise to the EPL and Chempions League Football.

This wouldn't suit AFL as it is not run as a fair and equitable sporting competition, it is run as a profit oriented monopoly.
LOL @ the EPL being a "fair and equitable sporting competition" based on "merit". Money wins titles in the EPL. Pure and simple. That's why the same couple of clubs win the premiership each and every year while the rest have zero chance of ever winning it. If a smaller club rises up their best player(s) are poached by these few megarich clubs to maintain the status quo.

Sides can flounder for as long as luck without fear of punishment

I think they suffering enough. They are the laughing stock of the competition. Wallace was happy to bumble along, but I think Hardwick will be a hard taskmaster. The pity is it will take another few years for his imprint to really be seen and the Richmond supporters are already tired of 5 year plans.

Relegation is a terrible idea. Part of the tradition in AFL is that you can spend years at the bottom and rise again. With relegation, teams can go broke and never return. Very bad for tradition. Why are other clubs so upset about ut anyway? Does it really hurt you to have a guaranteed win against a club?

I think they suffering enough. They are the laughing stock of the competition. Wallace was happy to bumble along, but I think Hardwick will be a hard taskmaster. The pity is it will take another few years for his imprint to really be seen and the Richmond supporters are already tired of 5 year plans.

Relegation is a terrible idea. Part of the tradition in AFL is that you can spend years at the bottom and rise again. With relegation, teams can go broke and never return. Very bad for tradition. Why are other clubs so upset about ut anyway? Does it really hurt you to have a guaranteed win against a club?

Other teams are not upset Ando. A lot of them love the chance to bag the Tiges because we swaggered through the league in our heyday and if and when we get back we will again. If Carlton were where we are they would get it too for the same reason. Ditto Collingwood. Its great fun having a go at Richmond but we'll be back schweinhunden and then beware !!!!

Not that it would happen - but if we had 20 teams - we could have 2 divisions.

Each division of 10 - each play a true home and away season.

The top division have a top 5, the bottom 2 teams are relegated - or you could even have a losers 'finals' series to see who stays up - it also ensure teams don't go to pasture too soon.

The second division has a top team who automatically are promoted and a final 4 (2-5) to qualify for promotion.

The bottom 5 play a finals series to work out the better draft picks.

It would mean that after the H&A season each club has something to play for.

The only concern I would have would be turnover of teams, so perhaps have 3 relegated/promoted.

I'm surprised MM here hasn't mentioned David Mundy yet.

Mundy >> Deledio.

And Sterge, you havent included the revenue stream of say a third W.A team which would offset the loss of Richmond members.

Alternatively Richmond should look at Merging with another club.

It really is embarrasing and detrimental to the brand whenever they walk out on the park.

It really is embarrasing and detrimental to the brand whenever they walk out on the park.

People were saying the same thing about the Hawks in 2004. Players who were derided for their sub-standard skills and efforts played in a premiership team 4 years later.

Whatever you want to say about us, if you stop and think for a minute, you'll acknowledge that the AFL wheel turns very quickly. Carlton only sustained their run at the bottom for as long as they did because of their lost draft picks. Freo were a basket case at the start of last season according to most - how much difference have Hill and Barlow really made, relative to another 20-odd games of experience into the list in general?

It's not a good time to be bottomed out, but it's possible (just possible) that some of the kids on our list might be able to play. God knows we've got enough of 'em.

No go back to the Freo board Pav. Or are you banned?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely this thread should be in bay 13......obvious troll.

Worse still it is a total failure of a troll. If you really wanted to discuss relegation on an adult level you could have done so without having repeated digs at Richmonds position. Fail.

The part of your plan that you appear to have glossed over is WHO would fund the elevated teams operation?? Richmond's operating budget would be 20-30 times higher than Claremonts........and lets not get started on facilities...... Fail.

I have seen Claremont play 3 times this year.....and I can say with a good deal of certainty that Claremont are NO WHERE NEAR AFL standard......they would lose every game by more than 100 points (including vs Richmond) and some clown would probally start a stupid thread on here about them being a rabble... Fail.

I can only assume that you have never been to a WAFL game.....because if you had you wouldn't be making such laughable claims...... FAIL. FAIL. FAIL.

This thread isn't even funny. Fail.

This thread is embarrassing on so many levels.......you are a clown.

And just in case you didn't catch any of that......here is a picture:

epicFAIL.jpg

You'd assume the AFL would allow any side which would come in would get the same salary cap concessions.

Richmond and Claremont would be a tight contest.

I think Claremont would get home though.

People are so short-minded it's infuriating.

Richmond are the worst team in the comp at the moment, yes, but THERE IS ALWAYS A WORST TEAM IN THE COMP!

Get over it. They are bad now but will probably be reasonably within the next 5 years and people will wonder why they ever thought of relegating them.

Richmond and Claremont would be a tight contest.

Only because they would be kicking the ball to each other in confusion over the jumpers.

Stupid post - Richmond stay on the strength of their song alone, plus their supporters turn out .....who could question their place? Not me.

Well, the creation of the Dockers obviously took some previous WCE fans away, but less than 15 years afterwards there is a massive waiting list for West Coast memberships and Freo memberships are approaching their limit too.

You just have to suck up the short term loss for long term gain when it comes to a third WA team - if the population continues to grow the way it has and AFL retains its market share, then it's almost an inevitability that a third WA team will enter the competition.

I think it's massively over stated tbh.

Broughton - Dual Subi premiership player
Barlow - Country Footballer
Liam Anthony - East Freo league player
Hayden Ballantyne - Peel Player
Garlett - Swan Districts League player
Podsy - Geelong player for how long?
Stratton - East Perth
Kayler Thompson - Perth Football club

All these blokes have stepped into AFL footy and havent looked completely out of place.

Richmond presently are not competitive.

I'd back Claremont to at least put up a fight.

So those blokes are all from different teams? If you are suggesting a state league all star team then how about we put it up against the AA team and watch Judd, Ablett, Buddy, Brown bend them over.

How that has any relevance to Claremont being able to beat Tigers is beyond me. 1 awesome player from each team can just make it at AFL level.

Coming from a Freo fan this is very rich. You guys look good this year but one wonders that in 2-3 years time when Pav and Sandi are gone not to mention McPharlin and Tarrant how easily Freo will head back down the bottom for another 20 years. You guys are at the peak of your powers after being a rabble (like the tigers currently are). Pipe down champ!

Remove this Banner Ad

Do Richmond deserve to be in the AFL - A discussion on the merit of relegation zones

Remove this Banner Ad

Back