Do we really want Buckley as coach???

Remove this Banner Ad

The most important thing is to get someone who can coach, but I would enjoy it much more if they were also a North Melbourne person.

I don't like the idea of having a purely mercenary relationship between coach and club and vice versa. Or is it impossible for a coach not to become emotionally attached to their club?

Buckley is someone that can pull this club up and generate revenue and money. It is obvious that he is going to be a great coach in perhaps 3 years time and looking at the young talant we have got in the last 12 months i think thats about when we will peak again.

A young coach for a young team that can grow together is ideal, on the field, off the field he is the right decision. He will pull members from outside north melbourne to the club.

There will be kids that saw him play and decide hey im going for buck's team cos he was my favorite player.

I have always wanted john longmire to coach our club but right now we need somthing thats going to generate some Hype about our club and perhaps longmire will be ideal in a few years.

I think we need to interview all candidates and get the best, Hird has a calmness about him and is measured in his comments. Buckley is quite abrupt, honest, similar to laids. I think Hird would deal with players better, bit more diplomatic publicly.

Ken Hinkley...? I'm not sold on Bucks. Just because he was a great player and a fantastic commentator doesn't mean he'll cut it as coach.​

Look, if he is going to take convincing and be paid overs from an experience view maybe it would be better to look elsewhere. If he puts in a competitive interview with other candidates then go for it.

he knows the game, He's very intelligent even though he doesnt look it, he gets the best out of those he works with, and he's looking for a full time coaching job.

He's definately a good option. He made mistakes in his playing career yeah, and he basically paid for these by missing out on 4-5 premierships, first by not coming to north and then giving the Lions the snub.

Give the guy a break he's paid his dues.

You are too polite. The answer is HELLLLLLLLLLLLL NO!!!!

This would be a disaster. The guy is a knob & has NO coaching experience. Would set the club back years if we chose him!

Would much prefer Choco or Horse. Long John is really the answer, has done his apprenticeship & tasted success while doing it.

The beauty of this thread is that everyone is free to express their opinions..

list management is changing....the average age is reducing.....game styles are evolving....coaches will get younger as a result....Choco is not the man for the job...I love Horse but he is a career assistant coach.....Bucks is the man.....and Eug and JB know it.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, in the new era we're heading into, I'd love to see a lot less of this type of thing.

Who cares what the price is. If we want to match it with the best, then surely price shouldn't be a factor.

1) Not trying to sound condescending, but you seem to have forgotten that fact that we are not exactly blessed with money at NMFC. They weren't trying to ship us off to the GC for nothing.

2) Bucks would be a 'first year' coach. No coaching experience. Not a single win as coach/assistant coach to his name. You start paying big money to untried candidates (be they players/coaches/whatever) and you are asking for trouble. Yes, it is working for Brisbane thus far, but that's not a risk I want to take.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but I can't help but wonder if some people are simply discounting Buckley due to residual hatred of him as a player, what with the whole 'FIGJAM' persona.

We of all clubs should know that a public perception of someone doesn't always translate to how they are in real-life. Anyone who met Wayne Carey would know that in-person he never came across as arrogant. Anyone who has met Glenn Archer would know that he doesn't come across as scary or mean in person.

If you actually listen to Buckley, and the way he sees and understands modern football, you'd want him at the club coaching. He has one of the best football brains ever.

Operation: Get Buckley. It's full steam ahead.

I'd hate to see a Melbournesque "Dean Bailey Who" type approach, where a relatively unknown coach is appointed and provides little or no marketing appeal or attraction.
Previous posters have talked about this appointment being as much about coaching as it is about selling the brand, and on this basis we need a marquee coach.

So for me - yes, get Bucks.

Its a fair question. I think so. All indicators are that he will be quality. Quality player. Quality bloke. Media savvy. High profile. Extremely professional. Get him onboard now.

X2

I think we need the highest profile coach we can get, the press are interested in what buckley has for breaky, this means the ability of attracting new sponsors and ensuring the long term viability of the club.

I remember a few years ago when the Bulldogs when with Peter Rhode and how poor that decision was with a very ultra low profile coach and how much it hurt the Bullies on and off the field

While I hate him in a Collingwood jumper, he always struck me as the footballers footballer. Very professional and success orientated.

I really think Buckley is what we need.

BigRed

What Buckley would bring to the club in an off field marketing capacity alone would be worth the risk.
Our club needs to make a statement to the football world, we need to be taken notice of and by appointing someone with the profile of Buckley it makes this job so much easier.

Buckley's presence would attract sponsorships etc., the list goes on and on.

The commencement of this transition is being handled with dignity and diplomacy by Dean and our club. Kudos for the way the press interview is being conducted and handled.
Dean is aware that he would not fit into the profile of our new era and I have great respect for his awareness of this.

The North Melbourne Football Club is about to enter a new era - the new dawn has just begun.

Bring it on

To add to this, what the appointment of Buckley (or a Leigh Matthews-type) says to the football world is that we don't need your sympathy any more. We are not your poor little cousins. We will not just make do with what we have available.

We are North Melbourne, and in 2010, we demand respect. We have the talent, we have the facilities, and we have the coaches that will lead us into another golden era.

And yeah, it might be a bit of wishful thinking, and some slightly dodgy artistic licence, but as Dean and JB said today, we do have some outstanding young players, we will have facilities to rival the best in the competition, we have a stable administration, we are getting the finances right, we are not relocating or merging or anything like that. We are united and heading in the right direction.

So if we can put that to any prospective coaches in a package that also says "choose your own assistants", then one of those high profile candidates might be willing to jump on board.

We don't know how well anyone will go. Laidley was highly rated and didn't get the job done.

I'd like someone who brings some media presence to the table. If things are not going as planned I still would like someone who can articulate and communicate what is going on at the club.

I know a young bloke in the AIS squad well, and Bucks is his mentor. I'll quiz him about a few things this weekend and see what he thinks about his ability to coach and communicate.

2) Bucks would be a 'first year' coach. No coaching experience. Not a single win as coach/assistant coach to his name. You start paying big money to untried candidates (be they players/coaches/whatever) and you are asking for trouble. Yes, it is working for Brisbane thus far, but that's not a risk I want to take.
Granted, it's a massive gamble, but I'd rather take a punt on someone who numerous 'experts' deem to be the best coach in waiting, rather than taking the safe option, similar to what we did with Dean, and never taste success.

I've read and heard nuffies suggest Blight, Carey, Pagan, Archer, King, and the bloke who helps coach the most piss-boring game plan - Longmire... Shit, Rawling played 2 gamesfor us... why not him? He hasn't lost a game yet!

**** me! Surely after 20 years of former North players coaching us an outside influence is due!
Buckley brings respect, brains, a hardworking ethos and is media savvy. Stuff we need to move on.
If Buckley ticks all the boxes, then we go all out to get him.

It's a no brainer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we really want Buckley as coach???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back