Do you hand make anything?

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you hand-make anything?

I realise it would be mainly girls who make quilts and knitted baby clothes, while blokes are more into creating things like furniture or yellow snow.

But yeah, what do you make? Do you sell it or give it away or do you just make stuff for yourself and your household?

I used to help my brother make furniture out of the hardwood sleepers they were ripping up and trucking into Brisbane by the thousand - and didn't we blunt a few chainsaws on that stuff. My brother sold this in the markets and eventually built a small business for a couple of years.

We still have some of the pieces around - a big coat rack with rail spikes for hook is in our front hall. Ugly and heavy but very very practical.

With the number of kids presents we have to come up with at the moment I am thinking of making some kids stuffed toys in some mad designs I've been dreaming up - like a crazy shotgun-toting hillbilly. If only sewing wasn't such a girlie pass time...

I'm a fitter/turner/welder by trade, so I work with my hands every day. Have made different size candelabras for the missus, biggest holding 7 candles standing 5ft high. Made a few incense stick holders for around the house. Made alot of things (ie: stainless steel brackets) for around the house but never tried to start up a cottage industry with it.

In my teens I made most of my own clothes, because Australia was way behind England in fashion. When my rellies went over there, they'd send me photos of the lastest fashion & I would copy them. Also made my own jewellery & paintings.

I made a lot of my kids clothes & knitted their jumpers, but stopped when it became cheaper to buy them than make them.

Have also made dog boxes for my Cairn Terriers when I was showing them & also have made dog runs. I like saving money by doing it myself. :D

I make stuff and have begun to sell it again online. used to sell it at markets and fairs 15 yrs ago, but seeing as I have quit two jobs in the last two weeks I thought I'd give it another go.

http:www.aussiekaty.etsy.com

Etsy is a great site to go to if you are looking for handmade items from all over the world. Jewellery clothes t-shirts all made by talented people everywhere. It's also terrific if you are looking for somewhere to sell your craft / hobby / art.

I make upcycled jewellery and scrapbooking supplies, digital files for cards and stationery, with times getting tough it may be all I do for the next few months.

It's a great thread Chief, am sure there are lots of you Bf-ers who make great stuff.

I have built a house, a few pergolas, a few verandahs,a couple of fountains,fences, gates, doors, cupboards,a few roofs,bed heads, landscapeing paveing,sculpting,painting, sun dried tomatoes, sun dried chillis, tomato salsa, yoghurt,and a million more things I cant think off.
I have an academic background but love doing things with my hands.
Pick up virtualy any trade by haveing a little look and asking a few questions.
Plumbing, Carpenter, Cabinet Maker,Electrician
I am jack of all master of none

• Admin
I make stuff and have begun to sell it again online. used to sell it at markets and fairs 15 yrs ago, but seeing as I have quit two jobs in the last two weeks I thought I'd give it another go.

http://www.aussiekaty.etsy.com

Etsy is a great site to go to if you are looking for handmade items from all over the world. Jewellery clothes t-shirts all made by talented people everywhere. It's also terrific if you are looking for somewhere to sell your craft / hobby / art.

I know someone who works at Etsy. How do you find it? Is there anything they could be doing better? Speak now I have a direct line to the people that matter...

I love arty/crafty stuff.. I make cards and scrapbooking things by hand (I teach scrapbooking at a local scrapbooking store), I bake nearly everything from scratch (necessity as one of my children has nut allergies) including pizza, pastas, cakes, biscuits, pastries, pies, (less processing equals less contamination in our food chain) etc I make my own pickled thingos (giadineri, jalapenos, chilli oils etc), like to make scarves, jumpers, etc (not of the grandma variety though!).. I can tile and have owner/built our house (that was fun!) and have made (of all things) a bookcase!...and yes, I am a chick, wear nail polish and am damn vain about my hair!

I know someone who works at Etsy. How do you find it? Is there anything they could be doing better? Speak now I have a direct line to the people that matter...

Wow Chief you really are connected huh... um well I'm a relative newbie to Etsy, if you've spent any time having a look around it is a huge comprehensive site with many avenues to search. Ive been there for a few months and still keep finding all kinds of great features to it.

Mark my words though... it is going to explode (predicted by me here right now) current economic climate is going to see many turn to the better value of handmade, and many people like myself turning their hands to creating and selling online. With the hassles of selling on ebay and the ridiculous expense, Etsy for me is a much more desireable alternative.

It's pretty impressive too the sheer volume of overwhelmingly talented people out there. If any of you make or create something that you want to look at selling, for 20 US cents you can list an item on Etsy. Go and have a look and get inspired to make something!

I love arty/crafty stuff.. I make cards and scrapbooking things by hand (I teach scrapbooking at a local scrapbooking store), I bake nearly everything from scratch (necessity as one of my children has nut allergies) including pizza, pastas, cakes, biscuits, pastries, pies, (less processing equals less contamination in our food chain) etc I make my own pickled thingos (giadineri, jalapenos, chilli oils etc), like to make scarves, jumpers, etc (not of the grandma variety though!).. I can tile and have owner/built our house (that was fun!) and have made (of all things) a bookcase!...and yes, I am a chick, wear nail polish and am damn vain about my hair!

I love to knit anything.. Jumpers. My kids have great Lions and Dockers blankets for their beds. They look awesome. I have been making knitted mobile phone socks atm, and have a little thing happening at work with people wanting them.

I love to cook and bake, grow the fruit to put in the jams etc.

I love to do Tapestry.

I also do macrame, with lots of plant holders on our deck.
I also like to tat. A bit fiddly, but worth it.

http:www.aussiekaty.etsy.com

I make upcycled jewellery and scrapbooking supplies, digital files for cards and stationery, with times getting tough it may be all I do for the next few months.

It's a great thread Chief, am sure there are lots of you Bf-ers who make great stuff.

Some nice things. Do you do special orders....

No, but I'd love to.

I was given a whole lot of decent quality tools for my 21st ("Son, I got tools for my 21st, and I still use them today" etc, etc) that have been sitting around doing nothing for the past 2 years. I wouldn't mind putting them to use, especially making some simple furniture (like a TV stand).

Not only would i like to save a bit of cash, I would like the knowledge/skills, and the feeling of competence that comes with that.

Any of you DIY types got an advice for people just starting out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some nice things. Do you do special orders....

Hi Campbell, I can do special orders, though using upcycled materials (because I'm using stuff that is just at hand) can make it tricky. What's online is only a teeny weeny sample of the stuff I have.

I'm hoping to have more stuff on in the next few days too, more jewellery and cards etc, If there is something you want just send me a PM.

Any of you DIY types got an advice for people just starting out?

Begin with small projects - so you finish them quickly and get a grasp whether you enjoy it or not. (Ive heard of too many beginner furniture builders, starting with a 12 ft dining table and it ends up firewood)

My Mum taught me how to knit and cross stitch and all that but I have yet to make anything of significance. I want to knit my dog a jumper for winter...but there's no way I'd finish it in time for winter, haha!

Hi Campbell, I can do special orders, though using upcycled materials (because I'm using stuff that is just at hand) can make it tricky. What's online is only a teeny weeny sample of the stuff I have.

I'm hoping to have more stuff on in the next few days too, more jewellery and cards etc, If there is something you want just send me a PM.

awesome website. etsy. I will be passing it one to a lot of friends at work. A lot of things on their that look great. much better than ebay imo.

I love the little plainish necklaces. looking forward to your new lot that you put on.

I love to knit anything.. Jumpers. My kids have great Lions and Dockers blankets for their beds. They look awesome. I have been making knitted mobile phone socks atm, and have a little thing happening at work with people wanting them.

I love to cook and bake, grow the fruit to put in the jams etc.

I love to do Tapestry.

I also do macrame, with lots of plant holders on our deck.
I also like to tat. A bit fiddly, but worth it.

Jam! I have NEVER made jam! That's going on the to-try list. I am currently making heritage recipe scrapboxes for my daughters, for all those home cooked things that no recipe exists for. Jams....hmmmm....

Jam! I have NEVER made jam! That's going on the to-try list. I am currently making heritage recipe scrapboxes for my daughters, for all those home cooked things that no recipe exists for. Jams....hmmmm....

Jams is real good. Strawberry is so easy. Have a little plot in the garden. weigh, same amount of sugar on slow heat. thats its.... really easy and so so nice.

Used to love making things out of timber. My best works are a coffee table, 1.8m fish tank stand & dog kennel. Just dont get the time anymore. FWIW Im useless with my hands when it comes to cars. Dont know where to start. But I can change a tyre... Just :cool:

I know a bloke whos not the sharpest tool in the shed but is very creative. He used to go around and collect discarded TVs when they have those hard rubbish collection days and convert them into awesome fish tanks. Started selling them and made some decent money out of it.

He also converted his bed headboard into a Ford GT dashboard, complete with working indicators.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you hand make anything?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back