Do you support a night Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

NO NO NO. The best thing about Grand Final Day is the tradition it has. Not just the game itself, but the build-up to the game. Nothing beats waking up on the morning your team is participating the the big one. Getting ready to make your way to the ground after staying up all night watching the Footy Marathon, watching the North Melbourne Breakfast and catching a bit of the TAC Cup GF. Its all a build-up to that magical 2:30pm bounce.

Can you imagine having to wait ALL DAY for this? I could not. A day Grand Final allows you to get on the turps in a big way after the final siren whether you are celebrating or drowning your sorrows. A lot will be taken away from the event, the game, if the "day" Grand Final was reverted to a night Grand Final.

So, have a night Grand Final so we can have pretty fireworks? Pfft! :rolleyes:
Not to mention half an hour of that buildup being lost while the TV network is showing the news. That's what happens in the NRL, and I think it's taken something away from grand final day.

I doubt you would get much in way of rating boost in Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth for a night grand final.
You would a get small boost for a non lions/swans grandfinal in brisbane/sydney.

The atmosphere is so much better on a Saturday arvo, i love friday night football but its not just the same.

Having the game at night would be better for TV ratings, thus better for the AFL, and thus better for Australian rules football.

Better for ratings? How so? I dont know of too many people who want to watch the GF, but dont because its on a Saturday afternoon. In fact a Saturday night would probably be worse because people go out.

I could not have said it any better than that, lovely.
I voted no, I hate the idea, read what topdon wrote to get a good idea of how I feel on the issue.

TOTALLY AGREE WITH MARNS & TOPDON's SENTIMENTS:thumbsu:

IMO GF day is the best day of the year - ****es on Xmas. If your team is playing it's a BONUS!! :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you suggesting Saturday afternoon TV has better ratings than Saturday night TV? That must be why for Saturday afternoon TV is the domain of Elvis movies...

Not GF day, kids can watch it with their parents, unlike a night GF when they are in bed. To promote footy, you have to recruit young supporters, putting the GF on when they are in bed is stupid.

Looking at footage of recent premiership presentations gives a major argument against a night grand final.
In the AFL grand finals, played in the day, everyone stays to see the premier team being presented with the cup. In the NRL grand final, played at night, the cup is presented in front of 3/4 empty grandstands - most of the crowd have gone immediately after the siren, or even before, or they'd risk missing the last train home.

Absolutely destroy all seagulls and pigeons first, burn them in the fires of hell.

Then I'd say maybe, but probably not.

I am of the view that the most important game of the season should be played in the best conditions for the players. Playing in daylight creates better playing conditions than at night and so the spectacle should be better for all concerned.

Any night final bothers me a bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you support a night Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back