Do you think it is possible? To build a team like our 07-11 in the modern era??

Can we build a list in todays footy landscape as good as our 07-11 one??

• Yes

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Do you think in the modern era of equalisation measures,freeagency, additional teams and academy compromises to the draft that we could build together a list as elite as our 07-11 one?? If so.. How would you achieve it in todays landscape?? Whats the blueprint??

Discuss.

Do you think in the modern era of equalisation measures,freeagency, additional teams and academy compromises to the draft that we could build together a list as elite as our 07-11 one?? If so.. How would you achieve it in todays landscape?? Whats the blueprint??

Discuss.

Cloning

Discuss.

We did it with 3-4 good trades and exceptional drafting. That’s always gonna be doable (but not easy).

I don't think it's very likely. That team had 9 All Australians on it.

Not unless we had a Geelong academy that allows us to get players in the area near or around Geelong or something and then we would've had guys like Walsh, Curnow, Sean Darcy,Boak ,Danger, Jezza, etc given to us under it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it's very likely. That team had 9 All Australians on it.

Not unless we had a Geelong academy that allows us to get players in the area near or around Geelong or something and then we would've had guys like Walsh, Curnow, Sean Darcy,Boak ,Danger, Jezza, etc given to us under it.
I heard JimmyBartel say on radio a week or so ago that during his career at Geelong he played with 18 individual All-Australians. That is special!

I’d be looking closely at the Giants and Suns lists for the 2-6 year cohort. Bigger bodied mids, with foot skills and/or speed. Need to get in next by 2025 trade because cashed up Tassie devils will hoover them up.

I argued trenchantly for a 1999 - 2001 draft approach (absolutely conceding there was little chance we would quite strike the gold we did that led to our 2007-11 flags) for years, often against posters I respected.

But the 2022 Flag ultimately rendered my agitation irrelevant; 11 years between the 2011-2022 flags was totally acceptable when it's all said and done.

The 2022 premiership winning team was assembled by utilizing every list-building available mechanism - and the National Draft was not the blueprint to Geelong success it had once been.

Chris Scott and the club had proven there was more than one way to win a flag/skin a cat.

But to me there is a certain logic behind hitting the draft with healthy picks twice in a three year period, precisely like we did in '99-'01.

I reckon the Sam Mitchell Hawks are currently trying something similar in terms of their list build.
Now they ''just'' need a Brad Ottens.

In 1999 we had 7 picks from the first 47 selections overall. We had some big, big wins but also some big misses.

2001 we had 6 swings at the pinata from the first 41 selections overall. Same result; big, big wins; a couple of forgotten misses.

That kind of draft capital is going to be hard to acquire moving forward without losing a) ground and/or b) players.

I think it is still possible to theoretically assemble a dynasty by having a couple of really fruitful drafts and some other good list choices.

But I suspect Geelong will continue to put together a post-Selwood/Hawkins list by utilizing every list-building mechanism available to them rather than focusing exclusively on the draft.

I argued trenchantly for a 1999 - 2001 draft approach (absolutely conceding there was little chance we would quite strike the gold we did that led to our 2007-11 flags) for years, often against posters I respected.

But the 2022 Flag ultimately rendered my agitation irrelevant; 11 years between the 2011-2022 flags was totally acceptable when it's all said and done.

The 2022 premiership winning team was assembled by utilizing every list-building available mechanism - and the National Draft was not the blueprint to Geelong success it had once been.

Chris Scott and the club had proven there was more than one way to win a flag/skin a cat.

But to me there is a certain logic behind hitting the draft with healthy picks twice in a three year period, precisely like we did in '99-'01.

I reckon the Sam Mitchell Hawks are currently trying something similar in terms of their list build.

In 1999 we had 7 picks from the first 47 selections overall. We had some big, big wins but also some big misses.

2001 we had 6 swings at the pinata from the first 41 selections overall. Same result; big, big wins; a couple of forgotten misses.

That kind of draft capital is going to be hard to acquire moving forward without losing a) ground and/or b) players.

I think it is still possible to theoretically assemble a dynasty by having a couple of really fruitful drafts and some other good list choices.

But I suspect Geelong will continue to put together a post-Selwood/Hawkins list by utilizing every list-building mechanism available to them rather than focusing exclusively on the draft.
You can mount an argument we've done similar over the last 4-5 years, and it's resulted in the best crop of kids we've had since that period.

With that being said though, it is so much harder to do what we did back then in today's game.

Even if you take out the academy & F/S arguments for a second, it was a just a different world back then.

For instance, clubs like Carlton had no real knowledge of how to scout 14-18 year olds in that era, and were incredibly slow to adapt to the AFL draft and the restrictions that come with it.

They just never had to do it that way, and as a result it took them a long time to adjust. They weren't the only ones either.

A club like St Kilda for example didn't have the funding or financial wherewithal to have any recruiting structures in place. It truly was amatuer hour in comparison to what clubs have at their disposal today.

It's why we saw so many late picks turn into stars, and so many early picks hardly play a game back then for mine.

It still happens today obviously, and will continue to as is the nature of any sport with a draft system...but the luck of the draw was much more magnified back then, and that was probably the case until about 15 years ago.

Ever since then with the evolution of media coverage, social media and alike, we've taken a much more 'American' approach with the draft, with everyday people like us knowing who these kids are by the time they're 16 years old.

It's made it harder and harder to find those late gems I reckon, and clubs have had to dig more than ever through school footy, the state leagues, and the Gaelic pathways.

2020 & 2021 are the closest we've gotten to a time machine back to that era, and we've seen a few already make their mark falling through the cracks that COVID created.

You can select names but you can't make the draft better.

The rules were brought in to ensure that ( not just us but us) werent able to build that kind of team that way again.

Unless you are an academy of course.

So no.

GO Catters

No, the AFL has taken too much control over how players are allocated these days, not directly of course, but academies dilute the available talent considerably when so much of what could be available is already assigned to one of 4 teams up north. How much better would we look right now with Errol Gulden in our midfield for example? Then you add Free Agency and more liberal trading, the answer remains no.

Then you consider that the talent pathways into the AFL are some of the worst in the world, we draft way too young, and overall the talent pool itself is far too diluted now with 18 and eventually 19 and 20 teams. No club will ever build a team like we did in that era ever again. Not unless there is serious structural change to the entire system, which is the kind of difficult change the AFL will never consider because it might upset people.

The way people are crying in this thread you’d think the academies are actively poaching Victorians.

As to the OP - of course it’s possible. You just have to spend a lot of time drafting inside the top 10 and draft exceptionally in lower rounds. It can be done.

I heard JimmyBartel say on radio a week or so ago that during his career at Geelong he played with 18 individual All-Australians. That is special!
Our 2009 premiership side featured 17 AA players, plus future AA in Tom Hawkins.
To put this into perspective, Port currently have 8 AA players on their list which is the most out of any side.

In regards to the topic - it won't be possible for a club to build a side like that again.
More teams in the league spreading the talent pool thinner, plus academies and equalisation measures brought in by AFL HQ are the reasons why.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think it is possible? To build a team like our 07-11 in the modern era??

Back