Doc Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty much, his insurer was willing to fund his defence. The AFL backed down, they like to manage outcomes with backroom deals. Open fights is not their sort of thing.
To me it showed just how much power the AFL don't have. They might have a few Melbourne "Journalist" in their pocket who are too lazy to actually work for their articles. However to me the AFL shit their collective pants when the Medico's piped up.

Which part of this is untrue?

The AFL wanted to take him to task over his inaction but didn't want to take on the AMA. I'm surprised the AMA saw fit to support a person who knew improper oversight over medical practices were taking place and didn't take his concerns to the bodies overseeing such practices.
Maybe there is an ongoing ahpra investigation on this matter, on this whole matter.

Sorry, why is it Hird? Hamilton and Corcoran would be Reid's direct bosses, and Hird's. The CEO is above them and he answers to the board. Judging by some text messages Hird was all for it, but it wasn't his call.
I need my hearing checked.Thought i heard Hird say that he takes full responsibility.:cool:

The AFL wanted to take him to task over his inaction but didn't want to take on the AMA. I'm surprised the AMA saw fit to support a person who knew improper oversight over medical practices were taking place and didn't take his concerns to the bodies overseeing such practices.

if this is correct then the australian medical association should also be investigated but hey we just have another australian orginization towing the afl party line

APHRA made this announcement, which is a really unusual step. Links with concerns about Medicare fraud and scripts and pathology requests without ever seeing the patient.

I recall somewhere that it was said that Reid was not one of these docs.

http://www.ahpra.gov.au/News/2013-07-29-media-release-acc-referral.aspx

I can't help shake the feeling that as many thought would happen, ASADA are being restricted in what they can investigate and proceed with. However it's not coming from the AFL as many thought it would.

AMA is more of a union, the medicos old boys club has a bigger bag of cash than the AFL's old boys club. Most Doctors will laugh and say good luck with that at being told you're reporting them to the AMA for misconduct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

me thinks, no clinical governance over a program that has patients sign consents to treatment with unknown injectables. Not sure how they can have there back there to be honest.

Protect the old boys club and reputation of the industry at all costs.

I am not thinking is to do with medicare and pathology, ahpra are to do with your scope of practice and safety with patients.

I am not sure of the "generic" ability of AHPRA to do such an investigation. As the umbrella organisation, they house the various Boards and manage a number of processes -- each with specific scope of practice and performance criteria.

I have to deal with them for student registrations and notifications. Generally, I have to deal with my specific board on a range of professional and accreditation related matters.

The thing is an unwieldy beast at times, especially as they receive the notifications and have the legal team, but the Boards have responsibility for specific investigation and prosecution -- and then it goes to the state bodies such as VCAT to make a determination.

Work Cover will zero in on the good Doctor and if they go after him, well others will follow.

I am not sure of the "generic" ability of AHPRA to do such an investigation. As the umbrella organisation, they house the various Boards and manage a number of processes -- each with specific scope of practice and performance criteria.

I have to deal with them for student registrations and notifications. Generally, I have to deal with my specific board on a range of professional and accreditation related matters.

The thing is an unwieldy beast at times, especially as they receive the notifications and have the legal team, but the Boards have responsibility for specific investigation and prosecution -- and then it goes to the state bodies such as VCAT to make a determination.

I know. I deal with them as well.Very messy.

That said they do take complaints,these can be anoyn.They can be specific or non specific.
They have a section on their website for complaints.
They are ultimately responsible for the safety of australians who are looked after by say nurses and medical officers.
They have the ability to investigate and then de register individual practitioners. They also can modify a practitioners ability to practice within a modified scope of practice.

doc reid wrotes emails / letters to the club that were ignored stating his doubts on the program...

unfortunately he was not strong enough to follow them up and put a stop to it ....

like paul little they are all in "awe" of golden boy hird and no one @ essendon has the balls to stand up to him

In my view, Doc Reid is the most ethically culpable in this entire saga; by far. He is a disgrace to his profession's overarching creed: Primum non nocere.

Under his watch drugs not fit for racehorses( according to Australias leading expert on the drug) were administered, FFS.

It's a further disgrace that not only wasn't he drummed out of our sport but that he was in fact inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Jeebus wept.

Pretty sure his letter was more about how a quack was managing to sideline him and that the club was stupid going down a path of using supplements that have an efficacy equivalent to homoeopathy.

That letter was very convenient.
Of course it was written to advise the Club of his problems with the supplements.

It would not, in any way whatsoever, be self-serving ...

That letter was very convenient.
Of course it was written to advise the Club of his problems with the supplements.

It would not, in any way whatsoever, be self-serving ...

Not sure why you would think those two are mutually exclusive. In fact his career and reputation would indicate to me that he would feel that his advice being followed and his standing would be one and the same.

APHRA made this announcement, which is a really unusual step. Links with concerns about Medicare fraud and scripts and pathology requests without ever seeing the patient.

I recall somewhere that it was said that Reid was not one of these docs.

http://www.ahpra.gov.au/News/2013-07-29-media-release-acc-referral.aspx

No because we all know that like Hird, Doc Reid only wrote ONE letter - as an arse coverer. Just like James' one email regarding everything having to be WADA compliant.

The players took all reasonable steps to ensure that the substances they were to be administered were compliant with the WADA Code, and were provided with written guarantees to this effect. If it turns out that those substances were not compliant, and the players were deceived by those who they were asked to trust, they should not be punished as a result.”

I would like the AFLPA to actually list all the steps the players took....

Currently it appears more like sign this, and then roll up your sleeve ....

Did the players attend any of the AFL run sessions on athletes and performance enhancing substances, drug tests etc
Did the players check for themselves in any way. Do they have any proof of this?
Did they consult their club Drs on all substances?
Did anyone of the 34 ask an independent Dr?
Did they check on the ASADA website?
Did they Google any of the substances?
Did they even ask each other if anyone knew what the hell they were taking?
Have they even heard of the internet, and the information age?
Why do they as highly paid FULL-TIME (well from what I understand their full time week is only part time hours with lots of time for vital tasks such as Xbox)professional footballers believe that they do not need to check to the same standard as amateur athletes who have to struggle with having to work, and fundraise as well?

Hell all my kids these days if they are curious about anything, just google it and have the answer in minutes if not seconds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Doc Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back