Docklands pre game music “selection”.

Remove this Banner Ad

lol so much anger in here

the question is, wtf were u doing at the game so early? fi you had enough time to head hotel california 3 times and somethign else 3 times!

usually breakfast at sweethearts by the chisel @ saints games

Re: Pre-game @ the footy

Best pre-game entertainment - Reserves.
Best Half-time entertainment - Little League (Auskick)

That's all.

Anyone ever been to a Rock concert, where half-way through a bunch of 2nd rate footballers jump up and start having a game? Me neither.
So why do we need the opposite at at the footy?

But CM35, i love it at hawthorn home games when the word tasmania comes out and they start dancing with the letters..... :p:p

Our game is great, no question, I'd barely change a thing.

But I have one pet hate.

- The pre-game music (i.e. five minutes before the ball is bounced)
- The ground announcers talking to the crowd just before the bounce.
- "Let's play footy" & other American-related stuff.

Seriously, it doesn't sound good. The game has enough of an atmosphere without it. It doesn't add to it. We don't need it & we don't have to become the NBA.

Next, we'll have music after goals.

Thoughts?

Go back to the good old days when you had the u/19s reserves and seniors all played on the one day.
Now that was footy,muddy grounds and a real contest.

Why not bring back the VFL

At Crows games in Adelaide thy usually have u16s or u15s as a pre-game match. Thats then followed by two announcers who go around doing stuff and there's usually a couple of competitions on the ground etc. It's not too bad, maybe a little over done, but at least we get to see some footy beforehand.

Mate, soccer in europe is the same or worse. They are called hooligans instead.

They sit behind the goals at one end and light flares and try to climb the security fences. I think they should be embaressed for carrying on like monkeys. We are civil here.

I agree that the 'hooligans'are worse because of the voilence. I've been to the odd game in the UK and I absolutely loved the atmosphere, especially when they start singing.

To me most of our cheer squad members are just plain sad.

The pre-game music at Eagles games is deplorable. Queen's "We will rock you" gets played every time when both teams spread out around the field 1.5 mins before the game starts. Its quite embarrassing. It might have been cool in the early 90's at a basketball match, but in 2008 to have that song blaring over the ground speakers to pump up the crowd is pathetic. It actually has the opposite effect in terms of creating atmosphere.

If there was just silence and the fans naturally let out a roar of encouragement just before the 1st bounce I think 99% of fans would appreciate that more.

I agree. The 80's pop crap they play is ridiculous. Can't imagine what the players think. If they want to play something it should be something like 'We are the Champions' etc.

Channel 10 actually seem to be up to date with the latest music for their AFL promo's. EG: Gyroscope, snakeskin; Fall out boy, Thanks for the memories.

Perhaps they should do the pre-game music selection instead of some monkey pushing the "We will rock you" button all the time.

i think the ground announcer is mark fine from sen

I remember back in the early days of Docklands that Craig Willis was the ground announcer.

Pre-match doesn't really bother me that match. I'm normally too busy reading the Record, or normally have my iPod playing - though watching people kick to a flag to win a Greg Norman book is strangely amusing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Channel 10 actually seem to be up to date with the latest music for their AFL promo's. EG: Gyroscope, snakeskin; Fall out boy, Thanks for the memories.

Perhaps they should do the pre-game music selection instead of some monkey pushing the "We will rock you" button all the time.
Because Thanks for the Memories is a much better choice than We Will Rock You...

lol so much anger in here

the question is, wtf were u doing at the game so early? fi you had enough time to head hotel california 3 times and somethign else 3 times!

usually breakfast at sweethearts by the chisel @ saints games

Sorry if I wasn't specific enough. Just trying to get my point across. They didn't play Hotel California back to back. It was played once before the game and then randomly played between quarters. Same with the other song but thankfully the "elevator music" was only played once, some 30mins before the first bounce.

EVERYONE hates that stupid announcer. The music is bad but easier to ignore. By the time the game starts I'm so close to having a headache it's hard to cheer properly!

There is absolutely no benefit from those stupid announcements. We can see the scoreboard. We know which team is running on field. We know which team is winning. We know how they've been playing. And if anyone doesn't know something, they're probably sitting next to someone who does who's not going to scream it in their ear if they ask!

Mark Fine only does the Melbourne Victory games at Olympic Park and Telstra Dome.

James Sherry is the Dome announcer.

Tony Schibeci does the G.

Nup. James Sherry only does the on-camera stuff at the ground. Not sure who the ground announcer is, but it's definately not James Sherry and it's definately not Mark Fine.

Because Thanks for the Memories is a much better choice than We Will Rock You...
i didnt say that THanks for the memories would be a better song choice at the start of the game, i merely pointed out that channel 10 are more with the times in terms of music selection. If we have to put up with pre-game music before while both teams warm up/coin toss etc, id rather the person who does the channel 10 promo's select the music than some dinosaur who still thinks its 1985.

We will rock you is the most overused cliche pump-up music which is totally out of place in AFL. :thumbsdown:

Guys (and girls) you are showing your age, or lack thereof. I was at the game and thought the music was great - Clasic hits by the likes of Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles. No doubt the music inspired the Cats.

'Gypsy' by Fleetwood Mac it was.. Great song, surprise choice for the footy though..

I think it was a couple of years ago down at Skilled we got Little River Band's 'Playing to Win' with Farnham up front.. Now thats a great pre-match 80s song!

Remove this Banner Ad

Docklands pre game music “selection”.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back