FTA-TV Doctor Who

Remove this Banner Ad

If you're old enough to have seen the first Doctor on the ABC when his episodes weren't repeats, you would've been able to see the entire Troughton era -- the ABC showed every story.

They did skip a couple of Pertwee stories due to censorship issues, until they were included in repeat runs in the 1980s.
I very clearly was talking about repeats, which is why I said "closest" I came.

Ok - sorry that wasn't clear to me
If I haven't seen the episodes before and they're airing nightly I don't see a massive distinction between them being new or repeats.

I recall hiding behind the couch when I was about five...Sutekh was the single scariest character on any TV show! Was watching the recent episode with my 12yo daughter, and when they revealed Sue Tech meant Sutekh, that was my big whoah moment. Didn't end convincingly enough, but we're both on a hunt now to find the full Pyramid of Mars episodes...

I recall hiding behind the couch when I was about five...Sutekh was the single scariest character on any TV show! Was watching the recent episode with my 12yo daughter, and when they revealed Sue Tech meant Sutekh, that was my big whoah moment. Didn't end convincingly enough, but we're both on a hunt now to find the full Pyramid of Mars episodes...
If your daughter isn't keen on the pacing of 1970s tv, you may want to track down a recent repeat of PoM that was edited down to 75 minutes and includes new SFX, introduced by Ncuti and Millie in character as the Doctor and Ruby. I thought it was quite well done, although I always prefer the original myself of course.

I just listened to the Resurrection of The Daleks audio book over 2 days (narrated by the marvellous Terry Molloy) and just watched the TV story again tonight on DVD (the 2 part version on the SE disc) and in all honesty, Eric Saward's novelisation is so much better/richer than the transmitted version, partly because the characters and plot were considerably more fleshed out on prose form (I like the idea of Lytton's first name being Gustav) and side characters like the ill fated Stein were given much more motivation and background)

I also think this story probably should have had an extra 2 episodes (or 1 in the 45 format), a lot of the nuances and plot of Saward's novel was left out on the televised version.

The King's Demons is absolutely tripe and pointless, I would definitely scrap that and fill in those two episodes for Resurrection, I honestly think Season 21 would be more fondly remembered as a whole.

I just listened to the Resurrection of The Daleks audio book over 2 days (narrated by the marvellous Terry Molloy) and just watched the TV story again tonight on DVD (the 2 part version on the SE disc) and in all honesty, Eric Saward's novelisation is so much better/richer than the transmitted version, partly because the characters and plot were considerably more fleshed out on prose form (I like the idea of Lytton's first name being Gustav) and side characters like the ill fated Stein were given much more motivation and background)

I also think this story probably should have had an extra 2 episodes (or 1 in the 45 format), a lot of the nuances and plot of Saward's novel was left out on the televised version.

The King's Demons is absolutely tripe and pointless, I would definitely scrap that and fill in those two episodes for Resurrection, I honestly think Season 21 would be more fondly remembered as a whole.
That wasn't an amazing story but not bad either, bit of a mixed bag. Good first ep in particular.

From memory silliest part was as if Davison's doctor would go to execute Davros. Then gets distracted and the door shuts behind him.

That wasn't an amazing story but not bad either, bit of a mixed bag. Good first ep in particular.

From memory silliest part was as if Davison's doctor would go to execute Davros. Then gets distracted and the door shuts behind him.

Yeah, that's the main problem I have with Resurrection of The Daleks, and Saward's main mistake, trying to turn The Doctor into some kind of Assassin (a character/niche he was fascinated with).

But I do enjoy a lot of the many other plot elements of the story, like the Movellian Dalek Killing Virus, and The Daleks ambitions to clone humans, especially The Doctor and his companions, in order to assassinate the High Council of The Lords, material which is explained/detailed much more in the novel/audio book.

Like Silver Nemesis, it really needed an extra episode or two on screen.

Not content with destroying the MCU and Star Wars universes with unnecessary and multitudinous spin-off TV series, Disney are now going to make the same mistake with the Whoniverse:
https://tvtonight.com.au/2024/07/do...ar-between-the-land-and-the-sea.html#comments

It seems they really haven't learned their lessons at all...

FWIW, it appears to be a 6-part mini series involving UNIT taking on the Sea Devils. Minus the Doctor.

Not content with destroying the MCU and Star Wars universes with unnecessary and multitudinous spin-off TV series, Disney are now going to make the same mistake with the Whoniverse:
https://tvtonight.com.au/2024/07/do...ar-between-the-land-and-the-sea.html#comments

It seems they really haven't learned their lessons at all...

FWIW, it appears to be a 6-part mini series involving UNIT taking on the Sea Devils. Minus the Doctor.

If it's brilliant as The Acolyte and The Book of Boba Fett, sign me up !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I trust the BBC not to **** things up with 15 spin off series. Disney have proven repeatedly that they don't desrve any such trust.
You do realise the BBC is still involved yes? Your fixation on Disney with this is rather weird.

You do realise the BBC is still involved yes? Your fixation on Disney with this is rather weird.
Maybe I'm over-egging it, but they do have form - a history of buying up franchises, then completely ****ing things up, putting out endless spin-offs of increasingly poor quality.

Fingers crossed they won't do the same thing to the Whoniverse that they did to Marvel & Star Wars, but I wouldn't bet on it.

FTA-TV Doctor Who

Remove this Banner Ad

Back