FTA-TV Doctor Who

Remove this Banner Ad

They have 2 episodes left, and it's possible that a lot of answers will be provided - once we finally discover Ruby's origin story.

I don't think we'll ever get an explanation for Old Ruby's ability to teleport herself, or Rogue's ability to push her out of the teleporter triangle while her feet were effectively glued to the ground... and that's both disappointing and sloppy writing.

I don't think those things ultimately matter as much as you think they do though. I'm sure there's plenty of examples over previous seasons of things that never got fully explained but in the fulness of time ultimately didn't particularly matter. The fact the snow keeps seeping through I think is a hint that some of this stuff will be explained though.

I don't think we'll ever get an explanation for Old Ruby's ability to teleport herself, or Rogue's ability to push her out of the teleporter triangle while her feet were effectively glued to the ground... and that's both disappointing and sloppy writing.

Sometimes - for the purposes of entertainment - we need to suspend disbelief.

Does 'The Wizard of Oz', 'The Greatest Show on Earth', 'On The Beach', 'The Birds', 'The Great Escape' (movie only - book/actual history did make sense), 'Jaws', 'inception', 'Lord of the Rings' - and many more - make perfect sense and answer every question you have? No..

Are they all entertaining and often thought-provoking? Yes.

Sometimes - for the purposes of entertainment - we need to suspend disbelief.

Does 'The Wizard of Oz', 'The Greatest Show on Earth', 'On The Beach', 'The Birds', 'The Great Escape' (movie only - book/actual history did make sense), 'Jaws', 'inception', 'Lord of the Rings' - and many more - make perfect sense and answer every question you have? No..

Are they all entertaining and often thought-provoking? Yes.
They all require a level of suspension of disbelief... and yet they are all more logically sensible than the dreck that was 73 Yards.

The birds attacked in The Birds because they resented the humans for exploiting and mistreating them, according to one interview with the film’s famed director, Sir Alfred Hitchcock. However, their motives are intentionally left vague.

Because some writers like to leave it up to the viewers imagination/interpretation as to what the reasons are. It can increase the spookiness and doesn't diminish re-watchability.

Because some writers like to leave it up to the viewers imagination/interpretation as to what the reasons are. It can increase the spookiness and doesn't diminish re-watchability.
Which is a great explanation for The Birds.

... not so much for the flawed 73 Yards.

OK... some of the flaws can be explained away as "leaving it to the viewer's imagination". Failure to address the time loop paradox can't, that's just lazy writing (mind you, it's not the only show which has failed to address paradoxes they have created - The Flash being an obvious example).

At the very least we're owed an explanation for what Old Ruby says, to make everyone go running & screaming.

Hopefully some of this will be explained in the last 2 episodes, as Ruby's origin is fully explored. I'll hold fire until the end of the season, in the hope that explanations will be forthcoming.

OK... some of the flaws can be explained away as "leaving it to the viewer's imagination". Failure to address the time loop paradox can't, that's just lazy writing (mind you, it's not the only show which has failed to address paradoxes they have created - The Flash being an obvious example).

At the very least we're owed an explanation for what Old Ruby says, to make everyone go running & screaming.

Hopefully some of this will be explained in the last 2 episodes, as Ruby's origin is fully explored. I'll hold fire until the end of the season, in the hope that explanations will be forthcoming.
Don't hold your breath. What she said to people is pretty low down the list of mysteries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, we're not. It's just not that important. It's not what the story's really about. I can just imagine Tenant explaining it with boring gobbledygook Space reasons, adding absolutely nothing to the story, and taking away a great deal. You didn't enjoy the story, and that's fine. But can you really imagine the story being improved by any possible details of what is being said?

Absolutely yes, some types of stories require explanations for important plot developments, but 73 Yards is not that kind of story. It's not plot-driven, this is about developing and cementing the themes of loneliness and/or abandonment that each story has included in some way. I thought it was tremendous and the high-water mark of the season so far.

No, we're not. It's just not that important. It's not what the story's really about. I can just imagine Tenant explaining it with boring gobbledygook Space reasons, adding absolutely nothing to the story, and taking away a great deal. You didn't enjoy the story, and that's fine. But can you really imagine the story being improved by any possible details of what is being said?

Absolutely yes, some types of stories require explanations for important plot developments, but 73 Yards is not that kind of story. It's not plot-driven, this is about developing and cementing the themes of loneliness and/or abandonment that each story has included in some way. I thought it was tremendous and the high-water mark of the season so far.
Bingo

Look, it was a great character story - but to be a great story overall it needed to stop dropping big brown turds every 30 seconds.

epic RTD Part One.

Honestly think that was his best yet.

And right up there with World Enough and Time for the best in the new series (i am biased cause i love the Mondasian Cybermen)

The build up, the tension, the climax was all incredible.

And now we have one episode of RTD tying it up (hope he can stick the landing)

And then Moff's X-Mas episode introducing us to the new companion.

And then - next year & a possible UNIT spin-off.

I'm in!!

Now I am going to have to re-watch the previous episodes and see what clues I missed out on.

This season has been absolutely fantastic.

I didn't even mind Space Babies.

First episode in 5 years where I actually screamed out in sheer delight/thrill.

The idiots and bigots who switched off after the kiss/romance of Rogue (which I thought was actually moving and really done tastefully well) have missed out on one of the all time great revelations.

Feels like this how the end of Earthshock part 1 went our on Original transmission

I have to watch this again sometime today (something I haven't done with a new episode since Day of The Doctor)

Thank you again Russell T Davies !

Quality episode

Classic misdirection '' we got the wrong anagram'' , the tease of the Toymaker and the no grand daughter bit

I knew it was a 2 parter and went searching hoping it would click straight into it - if you havent watched I think waiting a week and watching together may be the best way

Because I will now be devouring everything trying to get a clue

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV Doctor Who

Remove this Banner Ad

Back