Does our board have the guts to sack Laidley?

Remove this Banner Ad

PortPhillip

Debutant
Dec 1, 2005
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I would think close to 80% of our members want Laidley out by the end of the year, or if not sooner, but does our board have the guts to sack him, I have an awful feeling they are going to keep him on, in your honest opinion, do you think he will be here next year?

1. Did you pluck 80% from thin air? I would be surprised if that was the percentage of members who want him sacked.
2. I believe he will see out his contract and a decision will be made during the year, as it should.

I bad year does not make a bad coach. In the end, we overachived last season and underachieved this year.

Will all of you whingers about Laidley shut up. He is doing everything he can for the club. Give him until mid next year and see how we are doing and IF he and North are not performing then we should look at his contract.

Not an issue of guts - just one of logic and common sense. If the club wanted to sack him they'd weigh it all up and sack him. If they wanted to keep him they would. Simple.

I agree with the others - we can't afford the pay out but Dean would want a good pre-season and start or else he'll be in strife.

Gee, all your thoughts are quite scary. So due to financial reasons, we are going to have to put up with another year of underachieving, lack of direction, awful game plan, no leadership and a coach who is terrible with the media, mmmmmm, that does not sound like a good plan, well I hope your all wrong.

If the board lost confidence in him they could approach him and ask him to stand down. I doubt that will happen as the board may think he is great but i think there is a possiblilty of him being asked to step aside. I guess we will have to wait and see how the rest of the year pans out. A few more hidings like last Friday and with the terrible gameplan employed who knows. The board may think ok we've seen enough. On the other hand he may go back to a more sensible gameplan like he did against Footscray, bring some more young blokes in and then regardless of whether we win or lose the board will see that he is trying to work towards something. More games like Fridays and i think he will have the board members thinking how is this helping us for future development.

I can't see him sacked unless the terrible keepings off gameplan stays in place. If that happens the board wont have much choice and will most likely give John a call.
Dean will surely change his approach from now on. I mean he must see that he has absolutely nothing to gain by his pathetic gameplan. He will go for an all out win this weekend i'm sure. Even if we lose, if we go all out then the board and supporters will be happy. It's all i ask.

PortPhillip said:
Gee, all your thoughts are quite scary. So due to financial reasons, we are going to have to put up with another year of underachieving, lack of direction, awful game plan, no leadership and a coach who is terrible with the media, mmmmmm, that does not sound like a good plan, well I hope your all wrong.
I think we could still sack him even if we have to pay him out. From most reports he is about the lowest paid coach in the competition. At the time If I remember correctly it was about $250,000 a year. That's not much really when you consider just 1 game on the Gold Coast is expected to make the club $400,000 .
We wouldn't like to pay out money for nothing but if he doesn't change his ways the club may see it as being more harmful keeping him on. I'm not saying they do see it that way just saying how if they did feel that he wasn't performing how cutting your losses and starting a fresh can be the best way to go.

Devil Fish said:
I think we do. Certainly guys like Woodson, Melly017, Mr Reliable, RoyalBlue, Tas, Helmie, Kimbo, Zondor, FlagMan, Onip & Artichoke are all very strong personalities. I'm just not sure how we go aboit it?
:D ;)

Who the hell is Onip?

Devil Fish said:
I think we do. Certainly guys like Woodson, Melly017, Mr Reliable, RoyalBlue, Tas, Helmie, Kimbo, Zondor, FlagMan, Onip & Artichoke are all very strong personalities. I'm just not sure how we go aboit it?

Can I have a mention too? :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm worried some other team will nab Carey as senior coach before we do. There was already talk of Collingwood getting him if Malthouses ticker can't keep up. How would we feel if Wayne goes to another club and wins a flag ? Just picture wayne on the premiership podium surrounded by Magpies ? The entire world would be out of balance. Don't wait for another year, finishing on the bottom on the ladder in 2007 will kill us off faster than Laidley's contract.

Money is a huge issue here. Looks like Laids till the end of 2007. Lets try and make good from the bad. Hopefully the board has a plan in place to make improvements to the team, playing group, coaching panel etc.

Devil Fish said:

So what are you thinking, should we start up a campaign or something to let the board know that the members are wanting change?

Laidley won't be sacked at the end of the season.Not only can we not afford it, part of the history that is instilled at the club is being honorable.He was given a contract until the end of 2007 and he will see that out.I'm not sure what all this grab Carey business is about.Nobody has any idea what sort of a coach he would make.He has a great football brain.So did Peter Daicos, Geoff Raines, DARREN BEWICK, Barry Davis, Kevin Bartlett and Ted Whitten Snr with the latter three all being failures as coaches.Does that mean we should jump on the blower to Raines and Daicos? I doubt it.

One who could be in trouble at seasons end is Donald McDonald.Is the coach of the midfield which has progressively gone down hill since and was the strongest backer behind getting Hay.Personally, I don't think Laidley will make it beyond 2007 because he has shown he is not adaptable and I think he 'rides' the losses too much.A few hours after the Brisbane loss, he should have already been planning for the Adelaide game (with a shortened week) but I'll lay odds the following monday he was still spitting chips about it.

He apparently planned meticulously for the game but no-one knows where, we were out and out pathetic from start to finish.I'm not sure he'll see out much time at the club post next season, but I'm certain he won't be sacked at the end of this season either.We need luck with youngsters, nothing more.Luck does turn its tide eventually.But wrt Laidley being at the club after 2007, theres been too much not to like about his style and philosophies.He can't use the list as an excuse either.He's had 4 seasons to get the list he wants.

mark73 said:
Laidley won't be sacked at the end of the season.Not only can we not afford it, part of the history that is instilled at the club is being honorable.

History must have changed, Dixon, Blight, Shimma were all sacked. Nothing honorable about Shimma going or the way it was done.

Melly017 said:
History must have changed, Dixon, Blight, Schimma we all sacked. Nothing honorable about Shimma going or the way it was done.
When players are threatening to walk out of the club, and one already had, the club has to do something.Blight wasn't sacked, just resumed his job as a player.Was always going to happen once a coach was found.

Sack him. Pay him out. ill pitch in ffs.

I propose Big Footy coaches the Roos. I think members here make great points on how our boys should play and who should play.

BehindTheRoos said:
Sack him. Pay him out. ill pitch in ffs.

I propose Big Footy coaches the Roos. I think members here make great points on how our boys should play and who should play.

Who would be the head coach :p ?

Should we set up a poll for the coaching candidates or even go one better with the administration, recruitment, marketing and have a BF kangas footy club operations hierachy structure.

Masterminds the stats man

I CALL PRESIDENT!

Everyone will work but no one will get paid. This will be for charity. If you want to make money from it then by all means get paid by Sponserships etc.

I think Lidge should be head coach because hes old and smart. And CR7 can shine the boots of the players and remove weeds etc.

gokangas said:
Money is a huge issue here. Looks like Laids till the end of 2007.
I don't see why money should even come into it.
Laidley's contract isn't worth nearly as much money as we'd lose if we have another year like this in 2007.

Is he on more than 250k? If he is than not by much.

I'd say we'd lose 500k just due to falling attendances this season due to our poor performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Does our board have the guts to sack Laidley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back