Does our board have the guts to sack Laidley?

Remove this Banner Ad

PortPhillip said:
So what is the best way to get the message to the Roos Board that the members want Laidley out?
Burn down Arden street? No wait, that's already been done... looks like we are stuck with him.

My biggest gripe with Laidley is his level of negativity and unwillingness to swing the selection axe when required. I am sure he can coach but he seems to make the same errors (purely from an outsider's point of view). I think he's dogmatic in his thinking instead of flexible.

Laidley's lack of plan B worries me. The excuses changed quickly when we started to play like crap. The admission he misjudged the trends in the game was enough for me to say goodbye. Can't afford people who aren't up with the way the game is evolving.
That has set us back considerably and new blood is needed.

Can anyone see us doing any better next year ?... Can anyone see us doing any worse ? I can.. Kids are still developing too slowly, the old timers are becoming less effective and half the games we never look competitive. Seriously guys, we're staring at bottom two next year unless somethings done about it.

Nevbuster said:
I've got no doubt Laidley eats and sleeps preparing for games. The crows were a treat to watch last weekend. Their kicking for goal was spot on. If a crow was tackled, he just hung onto the ball for a second and another crow would run past. They roved the ball from marking contests perfectly and moved the ball forward fast to beat any flooding. I'm sure Laidley prepared the game to death, but it was the skills the made the difference.

And who is the mastermind behind the Crows this season? Neil Craig. All his footballing achievements were done in the SANFL. He never had the profile of a Wayne Carey.

You talking about Neil Craig and the Crows only emphasises the point that you need more to be a good coach than a legendary reputation on the field.

Nevbuster said:
I think back to the reign of the mighty Lions and couldn't imagine Leigh doing anything better than Sheedy or Malthouse in tactics. He just got his champions, put them in their positions and they had the skills to deliver.

Put Tim Watson in charge of that group of Lions players and they wouldn't have won 3 Premierships from 4 Grand Finals. Oh, and Matthews, Sheedy, and Malthouse are all multiple Premiership coaches, so they must have done something right.

Nevbuster said:
There's somthing big missing in Laidley's coaching and I just can't put my finger on it.

I agree with you on that point. In a way, he reminds me of Ken Judge - good enough to be a very valuable assistant, but maybe not quite good enough to do the senior role.

But then again, I do wonder how Neil Craig would go at North (where he wouldn't have the same access to technology as he does with the Crows) and how Laidley would go at Adelaide.

Shinboners said:
And who is the mastermind behind the Crows this season? Neil Craig. All his footballing achievements were done in the SANFL. He never had the profile of a Wayne Carey.

You talking about Neil Craig and the Crows only emphasises the point that you need more to be a good coach than a legendary reputation on the field.

I gotta admit Neil Craig has come out of no-where. Without having an entire state league almost to yourself, I don't know where we are going to find a Neil Craig. Could it be Peter German hiding in the WAFL ?

My desire to have Wayne as coach is likely to be driven by trying to find some excitement from what has to be one of the most boring Kangaroos seasons in memory and not from rational thinking.

PortPhillip said:
Gee, all your thoughts are quite scary. So due to financial reasons, we are going to have to put up with another year of underachieving, lack of direction, awful game plan, no leadership and a coach who is terrible with the media, mmmmmm, that does not sound like a good plan, well I hope your all wrong.

I agree. If the board/players have lost faith in him, it would cost the team at least $300,000 in lost crowds, sponsorship, etc.

You can put a price on team spirit, and I think over a season it's well over Dean's salary.

If the board want him out, they'll sack him. I don't think financial reasons will stop them. At least they shouldn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Does our board have the guts to sack Laidley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back