Analysis Does Venables remind anyone else of Judd?

Does Venables remind of you of Judd at points?

• Yes

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • No

Votes: 74 49.7%
  • Sort of.

Votes: 35 23.5%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 29 19.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

People write him off on the strength, or lack thereof, of his GF performance, but I don't think stamping his papers on the back of that one game is being realistic. Other than that GF game, his Prelim which was very strong and the games leading up to that were quite good.

I thought he showed plenty throughout the year and as the season wore on he steadily improved. The guy is 19 yrs old. He's got a really nice set of attributes. He's got good skills on either side of his body, he's agile with good lateral movement, he's very quick and most importantly, he's shown a willingness to work hard defensively and do the team thing.

Remember that as a 'junior' and I think the youngest in the team, he's basically one of the last two or three picked each week. He's like the 4th or 5th in line in that forward line, gets limited minutes and imo, forward isn't even his natural position.

He will 100% end up playing most of his minutes in the middle. I expect that providing he stays injury free and with another full pre-season under his belt, he'll get more time up the ground next year and will really start to shine. He's an out and out blue chipper, imo.

In answer to the OP, I feel that he most definitely has some Judd about him. It's a big call but I think he'll end up somewhere between Shuey and Judd. Looking forward to seeing him develop - I think he's going to surprise a few people.

Exactly, add Venebles to that list of shit recruits our man Vozza picked.
Those shit recuits just won a premiership.
Venebles could be one of our best imho, has break away speed and ability to pick the ball up clean at pace like judd with good skills on both feet but will be a way better forward than judd. Could have kicked 7 goals in his second game against the bulldogs if he had kicked straight. Also was unselfish when he could have easly had a ping himself. HUGE upside.

Yep, you’re a bona fide genius
I guess you forgot Gaff didn't play the last 6 games and we creamed it, Sheppard didn't play the last few and Masten was the stink. Don't let your usual vitriol against me get in the way of a good post but eh Keys ?

I guess you forgot Gaff didn't play the last 6 games and we creamed it, Sheppard didn't play the last few and Masten was the stink. Don't let your usual vitriol against me get in the way of a good post but eh Keys ?

Ku_bFkdE-Q-t4wLkg7La2Mg-qtA=.gif

I think a main concern with young players is often what they do with the ball and their decision making. While DV clearly lacks in production at the moment, basically every touch he does have is gold; hes extremely clean below the knees (borderline our best already), great in traffic, has good disposal, strong tackling. There is a lot to like and i think its easy to call this thread a dumb comparison, but i do see similarities in the way they move through traffic and accelerate through the contest over the first 3-4 steps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also think this board has a propensity to write off young players too early (Shep was 59 games and 5 years into his career before switching to half back and destroying it in 2015 in defence). Of course DV is going to improve; as someone pointed out, in his two years in the AFL and his two years prior to being drafted, hes never strung together more than about 10 games. I think people under-appreciate how much of an impact that has on a young players form.

People write him off on the strength, or lack thereof, of his GF performance, but I don't think stamping his papers on the back of that one game is being realistic. Other than that GF game, his Prelim which was very strong and the games leading up to that were quite good.

I thought he showed plenty throughout the year and as the season wore on he steadily improved. The guy is 19 yrs old. He's got a really nice set of attributes. He's got good skills on either side of his body, he's agile with good lateral movement, he's very quick and most importantly, he's shown a willingness to work hard defensively and do the team thing.

Remember that as a 'junior' and I think the youngest in the team, he's basically one of the last two or three picked each week. He's like the 4th or 5th in line in that forward line, gets limited minutes and imo, forward isn't even his natural position.

He will 100% end up playing most of his minutes in the middle. I expect that providing he stays injury free and with another full pre-season under his belt, he'll get more time up the ground next year and will really start to shine. He's an out and out blue chipper, imo.

In answer to the OP, I feel that he most definitely has some Judd about him. It's a big call but I think he'll end up somewhere between Shuey and Judd. Looking forward to seeing him develop - I think he's going to surprise a few people.
There is a VAST deivide between comparing him to Chris Judd and writing him off. He' not even Luke Shuey, let alone Chris Judd. And that's fine. Trying to fit him into those comparisons will just put undue pressure on him. Both Shuey and Judd showed from day dot that they would be talented mids. DV has always struggled to get the pill and I just think that's his nature. Not sure what evidence there is anywhere at seniors to show DV as Shuey, let alone Judd. et him continue to develop as a HFF and see where he goes. He's been ding his job and staying in the side so far, definitely curious to see where he ends up.

There is a VAST deivide between comparing him to Chris Judd and writing him off. He' not even Luke Shuey, let alone Chris Judd. And that's fine. Trying to fit him into those comparisons will just put undue pressure on him. Both Shuey and Judd showed from day dot that they would be talented mids. DV has always struggled to get the pill and I just think that's his nature. Not sure what evidence there is anywhere at seniors to show DV as Shuey, let alone Judd. et him continue to develop as a HFF and see where he goes. He's been ding his job and staying in the side so far, definitely curious to see where he ends up.

I think he's shown plenty to suggest he'll be an excellent midfielder but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, that's for sure! I guess time will tell, eh?

The similarities that I have noticed are.

Both were first round draft picks.
Both were drafted from Victorian TAC Cup teams.
Both are Premiership players.
Both will be remembered as being bald by the time they retire from AFL.
Both are speedy and highly skilled players.

However.

One was a starting 22 from his first AFL match onwards.
One was an elite midfielder from day one.
One was a high possession winner.
One was a game changer.
One was the competitions best at his craft.
One was judged his teams best player in a grand final.

The other has had a slow and an inauspicious start to his career.
The other was his teams worst player in a grand final.
The other shows a lot of promise and requires patience.
The other needs to find his own football.
The other is a HFF who is slowly learning the nuances of midfield play.
The other is in his infancy as an AFL player.

At this stage of their respective playing careers one doesn't belong in the same sentence as the other.

But given time it would be nice to think that both could belong in the same sentence..... But that time is not now or in the foreseeable future.

Realistically I would just be happy if the other one becomes a consistent player that averages 15 + possessions per game.

Both have serious hurt factor ..................... but one demonstrated it much more often than the other in his early years at the Club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Does Venables remind anyone else of Judd?

Back