Doggies get over Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldog Joe

Premiership Player
May 23, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The conditions at Launceston’s Aurora Stadium were superb with bright sunshine and only a minor cross breeze to contend with.
Mitchell won the toss and Hawthorn were immediately awarded a free allowing them to surge forward for Roughead to take a handball in the square and goal before the Dogs had even touched the ball. From there the Dogs regrouped and scored the next three as they took control in general play with contributions from Akermanis, Cooney and Griffen leading the way. The Dogs were slowing down Hawthorn’s run from defence forcing them to look for shorter targets until a mistake was made returning possession to the Bulldogs. Unfortunately a late clanger kick from Cross had Roughead receive from the turnover and bomb a second goal from 50.
The Dogs opened strongly in the second but scored behinds before errant handling in the middle of a ball from Tommy Williams allowed Hawthorn to go forward to an unattended Franklin for an easy goal. The next Hawthorn foray forward saw Lake take a great defensive mark but play on with a poor handball and eventually Cross handballed poorly back inside for Franklin to swoop and run in for a second gift goal that put Hawthorn back in front. The Doggies got their game back in order for Welsh to take a strong contested mark at 55 and Jordan Lewis with a complete brain fade kicked the ball away to concede a 50 metre penalty and the lead back to the dogs.
From that point the Dogs took control with terrific tackling and continued pressure on Hawthorn ball carriers. Welsh had 3 goals to half time. An Eagleton goal to close the half came from a superb left foot pass from Gilbee. Mitchell was getting first hands to a lot of centre ball but the pressure from the Dogs was preventing him having a real influence. The second quarter had seen 2 concerning incidents as Bobby Murphy was reported for a bump on Ellis where he had basically braced himself only for Ellis to collide with him and go down heavily. Brad Johnson had also gone down after getting up from a contest with blood from his eye only to collapse 10 to 15 metres away. Sammmy Mitchell showed great sportsmanship as the nearest Hawthorn player as he called the umpires attention to allow the play to stop. There was a little niggle as the players left the ground at half time but the general impression was that the Dogs had wasted some chances and Hawthorn were closer that the run of play merited.
After half time the Dogs seemed to retain control but again failed to convert before Roughead scored his fourth for Hawthorn and, after Welsh missed an easy chance after a strong mark, Franklin finally was able to take a mark in front of Williams and convert with a follow up goal from Taylor to bring Hawthorn back within 8 points. The Doggies were able to steady and Gilbee made a great effort to get to and take a great mark at 50. He then highlighted his superb kicking skills by putting it through the middle form outside the arc. The Dogs followed up with goals to Cooney after a pass from Johnson and Welsh after a strong mark in the goal square to re-establish the half time break. Franklin took a strong mark under pressure from Williams for his fourth but this was answered by Griffen who marked a Murphy kick in the goal square.
Hawthorn again scored the first major in the last quarter when Franklin converted from a mark on 50 but the Dogs were able to respond to every challenge and despite missing some gettable shots they won every quarter with contributors all over the ground.
Cooney and Griffen were again terrific around the packs and the ability of Mathew Boyd to keep the pressure on Mitchell was also important. Aker was also again a terrific player. The defensive pressure around the contest applied by the Dogs really prevented Hawthorn penetrating their forward 50 with any regularity. The Hawthorn gun forwards Franklin (5 goals) and Roughead (4) were still beaten in one on one contests with Tom Williams worthy of a special mention for a magnificent effort on Franklin. Lindsay Gilbee played probably his best of the year with some good desperation in defence to go with some great offensive set up and the return of his brilliant ball use. Stephen Tiller was a terrific contributor with marks, tackles and a general presentation. Dylan Addison also showed good desperation, but blotted his performance with about 3 disposal errors leading to turnovers and Daniel Cross was also responsible for a similar number. Farren Ray was an improved effort. Tim Callan left the ground injured and it would appear unlikely that he could come up for next week.
Overall a great win from the Dogs with 22 contributors.

Well done doggies, played us off the park. Injuries (8 of our 22), and some incredible umpiring interpretations regardless, we were lucky to be within 5 goals at the end.

Hopefully if we meet in September we can put together a much better team.

Well done doggies, played us off the park. Injuries (8 of our 22), and some incredible umpiring interpretations regardless, we were lucky to be within 5 goals at the end.

Who were the eight you were missing?

Wasn't meant to be the point of my post, but: Hodge, Crawford, Guerra, Dew, McGlynn, Boyle, Tuck...allright you got me at 7.

Hodge, Guerra, Dew are the only blokes who can play our 'quarterback' role effectively - we average 13 shots on goal from rebound50s. On the weekend we had 2.

Crawford, McGlynn, Tuck are our 2nd and 4th 'runners' in midfield, and our '7th' midfielder (so probably not 22 at full strength, but first reserve for any midfield out).

Boyle our 3rd tall - allowing Franklin and/or Roughy to push upfield and keep a marking target up forward, though Williams has been effective until the last two weeks in this role.

Not so much the number out - we've had 4+ out for seven matches so far this year, it's the Hodge/Guerra/Dew losses that killed us - as no-one can play their role successfully - Brown/Croad don't have the nous/footskills, and Ellis/Ladson are more "chip'n'chase" HBFs than genuine penetrating kicks.

Guerra/Dew might not get the plaudits of others individually, but I'd put having one of them there as the 2nd or 3rd most important position for us to fill - our entire (non-dominating centresquare) gameplan revolves around quality longball from defensive 50m.

I seriously under-rated your centre-square work - without seeing replay or stats yet - we were utterly smashed at the clearances and just had no answer in general play.

We had 7 misinng too.
West, Higgins, Everitt, Skipper, McDougall, Ward, Hill, and Wight
If you are going to count guys playing seconds then we can too.
Quarterback? No wonder you lost, you are playing the wrong game.

lol...

...I'll give you Hodge, Guerrra...

...Crawford maybe (best 22 just...)...Dew, McGlynn, Tuck...Boyle! Good lord...

In for who??...Morton (21, 5...3 tackles), Kennedy (12, 5...3 tackles)... :confused:

Ellis and Clarke are crap, but you guys seem to rate them...

Oh...and umpiring??!! Were you the guy behind me under the big screen losing a lung??...Quite simple...you tackle, you get the reward.
You were absolutely dead-set lucky to get within 5 goals...so take your pissy, half baked excuses dressed as conversation, and we'll see you in that September match, yeah?...

Yeah its funny, some hawk fans I have spoken to are beginning to have an "Essendon Problem", ie: they can't lose gracefully. "Yeah, if we lost to anyone, I'm happy it was the dogs..." blah, blah.

Oh, the 8th man was Stokes - who played every game till he was 'corked' by Harris and has only played a quarter or two since for Box Hill (played every game up till then). Boyle hasn't played since Franklin fell on him a month back, Tuck since he copped the hit to the knee (came back for one half at Box Hill then had three weeks off)

Like most things, '22s' are fluid (depending on what suits your argument :D).

Before being injured Boyle, Tuck, Stokes were all in our first 22.
Guerra, Dew are key players in our defensive rebound.
McGlynn wasn't fit to start the year, was just getting his fitness back when he copped the suspension.
Hodge, Crawford are key midfielders (though in different roles).
Also found out since then that Mitchell (adductor), Sewell (shoulder) Lewis (ankle/knee soreness) and Williams (knee tendonitis) all played through discomfort, some with some form of medical help ('stingers').

Given our position on the ladder, I'd prefer if we rested all those blokes with niggles - even if we dropped one or two along the way we would otherwise win.

^^ regardless, we were thoroughly trounced by a better team. Good luck for the rest of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regardless of ins and outs on the weekend, we were the better side and would have won anyway if the "8 of 22" were in. I don't know though who the 8 going out would have been, maybe Franklin out for Boyle?!!!;)

Like Geelong was due against Collingwood, Hawthron were probably due after nearly letting Melbourne beat them but the Dogs on the weekend would have beaten anyone.

Before being injured Boyle, Tuck, Stokes were all in our first 22.
Keep making those excuses.
Before injury West, Higgins, Everitt, McDougall and Skipper were in our side too.

Also found out since then that Mitchell (adductor), Sewell (shoulder) Lewis (ankle/knee soreness) and Williams (knee tendonitis) all played through discomfort, some with some form of medical help ('stingers').
Roughead also had a paper cut, Croad had a bad hair day, Rioli didn't get a good nights sleep and Buddy was upset cos someone mentioned his drug rumours.
How unlucky were you guys.
Obviously only one side had their problems.

Played on their home ground.

Gift wrapped 5 goals.

Dogs forwards who kept missing fairly straightforward shots at goal.

Dogs were a 10 to 12 goals better side. Hawks very lucky to get so close.

A few Hawks were found out, methinks.

We are getting carried away with the injury thing,

You guys would have probabably still won anyway, but its more the point that we were missing the key guys like Hodge, Crawford (if you think he is "barely" in our 22 your kidding yourself) and guerra and Dew who are in our 22, But our first string replacements (ie Tuck, mglynn ect) were out as well. Kennedy, Morton Clarke are not AFL quality, and our game plan has evolved with strict discipline that we had mastered with a pretty good run with injuries thus far. Having played players who are our replacements replacements, we lacked the discipline to exectute it properly. Dew, Hodge, Guerra ect are VITAL off the half back line as they generate alot of our rebounds, and crawf receives little attention these days and is a great outside runner. You guys had outs too but they are not a VITAL cog in the way your team runs, they would just compliment it.

You guys SMASHED us. The scoreline gave us credit, but you would be stupid to think you would win it that easily if we meet in September with our outs back in. It will be a much tougher contest, I still feel you got us at the best possible time.

With Scott West we would have won by more.

Mate on current form West is about as good as Crawford, maybe slightly better but not much in it. Sure with West in on sat, you probabably would have won by more. Had you of kicked straight you would have won by ten goals+

All i am saying is we were missing our Half Back play makers and our most accurate kicks. We turned the ball over and had little to no run. Ill say it again, you smashed us and did it with seemingly ease, but if you rock up with the "did it in round ten, do it easily again" attitude come finals time then you may be in a for a rude awakening. You got us at the best possible time, and you and me both know we are a better team then what we came to play with on Saturday.

Mate on current form West is about as good as Crawford, maybe slightly better but not much in it. Sure with West in on sat, you probabably would have won by more. Had you of kicked straight you would have won by ten goals+

All i am saying is we were missing our Half Back play makers and our most accurate kicks. We turned the ball over and had little to no run. Ill say it again, you smashed us and did it with seemingly ease, but if you rock up with the "did it in round ten, do it easily again" attitude come finals time then you may be in a for a rude awakening. You got us at the best possible time, and you and me both know we are a better team then what we came to play with on Saturday.

There is no doubt Hathorn are the best team in the comp. Should win the flag, but on Saturday we pulled your pants down!

Now stop making excuses.....it is boring.

I think the Hawks turned up with the attitude problem on Saturday. You guys were made to look soft. No doubt you will be better in Sept. But our guys will have plenty to play for as well........

Mate on current form West is about as good as Crawford, maybe slightly better but not much in it. Sure with West in on sat, you probabably would have won by more.

Glad you now agree. West certainly wouldn't have made the same mistakes Cross did on Saturday.

All i am saying is we were missing our Half Back play makers and our most accurate kicks.
And all we are saying we were missing influential players too.

but if you rock up with the "did it in round ten, do it easily again" attitude come finals time then you may be in a for a rude awakening.
Who said that here? All the excuses seem to be coming via Hawthorn fans not us.

You got us at the best possible time, and you and me both know we are a better team then what we came to play with on Saturday.
We might be a better team too.

We are getting carried away with the injury thing,

You guys would have probabably still won anyway, but its more the point that we were missing the key guys like Hodge, Crawford (if you think he is "barely" in our 22 your kidding yourself) and guerra and Dew who are in our 22, But our first string replacements (ie Tuck, mglynn ect) were out as well. Kennedy, Morton Clarke are not AFL quality, and our game plan has evolved with strict discipline that we had mastered with a pretty good run with injuries thus far. Having played players who are our replacements replacements, we lacked the discipline to exectute it properly. Dew, Hodge, Guerra ect are VITAL off the half back line as they generate alot of our rebounds, and crawf receives little attention these days and is a great outside runner. You guys had outs too but they are not a VITAL cog in the way your team runs, they would just compliment it.

You guys SMASHED us. The scoreline gave us credit, but you would be stupid to think you would win it that easily if we meet in September with our outs back in. It will be a much tougher contest, I still feel you got us at the best possible time.

With the exception to West not being a vital cog I think you have summed up the situation pretty well. Hawthorn didn't have the intensity or class for practically the whole game and I doubt we will face them like that again (irrespective of who they have out), and behind closed doors I reckon Clarkson would be bitterly disappointed with the way they played.

It's easy to say now but I doubted there was the gulf between the sides like many predicted before Saturday. They have the forward line to trouble us due to its quality and height (and obvious freak quality in Franklin), we have a forward line which is unconventional, but diverse and equally as classy. The midfields at full strength match up really well too and both backlines have a good mix of playmakers and out and out defenders. If we meet again and both teams are relatively at full strength and bring the level of intensity and pressure required at the top level then it should be a ripping contest.

There is no doubt Hathorn are the best team in the comp. Should win the flag, but on Saturday we pulled your pants down!

Now stop making excuses.....it is boring.

I think the Hawks turned up with the attitude problem on Saturday. You guys were made to look soft. No doubt you will be better in Sept. But our guys will have plenty to play for as well........

Mate what part of "you smashed us" do you not understand.

I am trying to explain why many Hawk fans are using injuries as an excuse, At the start of my post i did say you would have beaten us with our outs in anyway.

What i am trying to say though, is our outs form a KEY part of our structure, whilst yours are younger players who would compliment the structure (west an exception), and that you smashed us, but did so at the best possible time. You cant deny that.

Tell me, lets say you come up against us with Hodge, Crawf, Guerra and Dew back in (as opposed to our first games and fringe players that were filling in of sat) in a Qualifying final, would you expect to deal with us so easily?

If you say no then you agree with my point. I am saying you smashed us, but we can and will do better come crunch time. Not making excuses.

Mate what part of "you smashed us" do you not understand.

I am trying to explain why many Hawk fans are using injuries as an excuse, At the start of my post i did say you would have beaten us with our outs in anyway.

What i am trying to say though, is our outs form a KEY part of our structure, whilst yours are younger players who would compliment the structure (west an exception), and that you smashed us, but did so at the best possible time. You cant deny that.

Tell me, lets say you come up against us with Hodge, Crawf, Guerra and Dew back in (as opposed to our first games and fringe players that were filling in of sat) in a Qualifying final, would you expect to deal with us so easily?

If you say no then you agree with my point. I am saying you smashed us, but we can and will do better come crunch time. Not making excuses.

Your first post started well but went down hill from there.

VITAL, I think you meant vital.....I got the point you wanted to pass on......the players out were vital.......

But we would have won anyway you say?......because I guess they would not have been as VITAL.....make up your mind.....

Go away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Doggies get over Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back