True_Blue

All Australian
Jul 4, 2003
Essendon
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton one eyed
Telstra Dome is on the verge of making the Carlton Football Club an offer it cannot refuse - $3 million up-front - to move its home games to the boutique stadium in a deal understood to last seven years.

In behind-the-scenes negotiations certain to reignite the conflict-of-interest debate involving Ian Collins's dual role as stadium boss and Carlton president, the Blues are considering virtually abandoning Optus Oval as a match-day venue at the end of this season.

While none of the key parties were prepared to elaborate yesterday, it is understood the deal is being put together by Collins's executive team at Telstra Dome and overseen by Ian Johnson, the boss of Channel Seven, which owns Melbourne Stadiums Ltd (Telstra Dome). The AFL's legal advisor, Jeff Browne, is also aware of the proposal.

The MCG, which has also been asked by Carlton to put forward a home-game proposal, has unofficially accepted it would struggle to compete with the Telstra Dome offer, which would afford the Blues virtually identical privileges to anchor tenant Essendon.

The question of the multimillion-dollar up-front payment is complicated and understood to involve both Channel Seven and the AFL, relating back to a series of issues not yet resolved between the league and its former media partner, including the fact that Channel Seven is suing the AFL.

Collins told The Age: "I can't discuss this. I'm conflicted out of this and it's far too early to be talking about it. There's a process to go through and anything could happen." He emphasised any up-front payment would not be coming directly from Telstra Dome.

A spokesperson for Browne told The Age it would be inappropriate for him to comment on the issue of Telstra Dome. Johnson, too, said: "I can't comment on any of that."

Essendon's 25-year agreement with Telstra Dome allows for a second anchor tenant but states that no club can receive a better deal than the Bombers. While the Blues' potential deal would, like Essendon's, be struck on a user-agreement basis, the question of an up-front payment is a sensitive one for the Bombers.

And the question of the Blues leaving Optus Oval remains a sensitive issue for its members, whom Collins's board pledged to consult before reaching any deal to move home games. Two days ago, Larry Abramson, from the Carlton Unofficial Selectors Group, strongly criticised the decision to switch the round-10 Carlton-St Kilda game from Optus to Telstra Dome.

Carlton has officially stated it is looking at all three Melbourne AFL stadiums - the MCG, Telstra Dome and Optus Oval - to play future home games.

But clearly Optus Oval is virtually out of the equation, given that both the Victorian Government and the Melbourne City Council have stated they would not fund any redevelopment of the venue unless Carlton moved its home games from there.

The MCC and Melbourne Stadiums Ltd received expression of interest documents from the Blues at the start of April.

While St Kilda, the Western Bulldogs and the Kangaroos play the majority of their home games at Telstra Dome, none has anchor tenant privileges.

Although Carlton is contracted to play nine home games at Optus Oval until the end of 2006, the documents state that the Blues would consider moving from competing at their home of more than a century at the end of this season.

The deadline to express interest is next month.

Collins has officially removed himself from the venue decision-making process at Carlton, with fellow directors Graham Smorgon and Marcus Rose heading up the venue subcommittee on which the social club is also represented.

The Blues will soon change their constitution to simplify the relationship between the football, social and cricket clubs.

A move to Telstra Dome would also cost the Blues a substantial amount of money, given the existing stakeholder arrangements at Optus Oval - notably the catering deal with Spotless, which does not hold the contract at Telstra Dome but does at the MCG.

The Blues would retain Princes Park as the club's training and administrative headquarters, with the ground to host AFL games at least for the first seven rounds of 2006 while the MCG is reconfigured after the Commonwealth Games.

Carlton is currently seeking state and local government funding to redevelop Optus Oval to turn it into a state-of-the-art training and community venue.

The AFL has also indicated it would contribute several million dollars to Princes Park on the proviso another Victorian club - the two frontrunners are Melbourne and the Kangaroos - share the facility with Carlton.

This story was found at:
http://www.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/05/13/1084289818344.html

About time, Carlton should move Home games to the Dome. They are a big team. Would be better for them to have almost sellouts every week at Dome, rather then half full G.

They shouldn't have to share OO.

Originally posted by True_Blue
But clearly Optus Oval is virtually out of the equation, given that both the Victorian Government and the Melbourne City Council have stated they would not fund any redevelopment of the venue unless Carlton moved its home games from there.
I don't understand this. Can anyone tell me why the gov't would fund something if Carlton moved and not if they don't? How does that make sense?
Originally posted by True_Blue
A move to Telstra Dome would also cost the Blues a substantial amount of money, given the existing stakeholder arrangements at Optus Oval - notably the catering deal with Spotless, which does not hold the contract at Telstra Dome but does at the MCG.
Now if people want to talk about conflicts here is your conflict. Spotless sued Collingwood after the AFL refused to honour agreements and scheduled Collingwood home games away from Vic. Park causing Collingwood to break it's caterring deal with Spotless. The AFL of course share a director with Spotless. Wonder how this will transpire with the Blues.

I find this very interesting.

It is well know that Carlton are in a bit of a financial mess. Now their president seems intent on fixing the problem by using his position as manager of Telstra Dome to provide the club he is president of with a mere $3m to play its home games at the Dome.

If Eddie was in the same position as Ian Collins there would be an outcry of a magnitude never heard before.

Why doesn't Collins help other cash-strapped clubs by making the same offer?

There's a big difference between calling your teams games on the telly and doing multi million dollar deals between two organisations you run.

This is true, textbook, conflict of interest. Collins "sitting out" on the vote on this hardly cuts the mustard.

Has Carlton got a better deal than StKilda? If so, why?

This is very much a conflict of interest. Can't Carlton elect a normal president for once?

What can you say?

Joke.

Yep, that will do nicely.

Originally posted by labrooy
If Eddie was in the same position as Ian Collins there would be an outcry of a magnitude never heard before.
And it would be crap still.
Why doesn't Collins help other cash-strapped clubs by making the same offer?
Because he owes them zero. What has his position as either TD or carlton chief got to do with any other struggling club? At TD he has to get a good deal for that organisation. carlton are a better tennant than the other potentials because they have more supporters if nothing else. In any case the TD board have to judge his actions and they couldn't care less about the likes of Melbourne et al.

I seriously think a lot of people think footy is an idealogical game of fish.

Rival catering contractors for a start.

The AFL through Telstra Dome for offering too much to Carlton to satisfy Collins.

Originally posted by Porthos
Rival catering contractors for a start.
Lost me there. What does Collins in any capacity owe any caterring company. If there are problems with conflicts re caterring it is the AFL's doing via it's own member who is at Spotless. I can;t see what Collins has to do with this. He is bound to do the best deal he can for TD.
Originally posted by Porthos
The AFL through Telstra Dome for offering too much to Carlton to satisfy Collins.
The AFL? Carlton don;t have to look after the AFL in determining where they play and nor to TD in determining tennancies. If there is any conflict here it is the AFL potential interest in TD and the fact they indirectky contract with clubs for ground agreements.

The fact is Mark that despite their huge supporter base Carlton are deep in the financial mire through circumstances entirely of their own making. This deal will drag them well and truly out of it.

Any deal that is made has to be seen to be above board and this doesn't. The only reason it doesn't is Ian Collins. If there is to be a true non conflict of interest he should not only stand out of the meetings involving this but completely stand down as Carlton president. Until he does that then no-one can ever be satisfied that this deal will be in the best interests of both Telstra Dome and Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Carton's deal is even a cent better than the deal any other tenant gets there should be a massive uproar.

Despite my personal reservations about OO, it would be very sad to lose the last suburban venue at elite level.

I'm mightily ****ed off Collo is offering himself a better deal than St Kilda currently enjoy, despite the fact we have won our last 8 odd games at the venue and r,w and b packs the place out every time. Carlton, on the other hand, lost thier last "home" game there by 120 points.
Carlton should not expect to just walk in to the venue and get a better deal than the clubs who suffered through the monumentally embaressing teething stages and still stuck it out.

I'd never have Waverly back, but can't we upgrade the Junction Oval or something?

The fact is Mark that despite their huge supporter base Carlton are deep in the financial mire through circumstances entirely of their own making. This deal will drag them well and truly out of it.
So good job Collo/Carlton Board in that case.
Any deal that is made has to be seen to be above board and this doesn't. The only reason it doesn't is Ian Collins. If there is to be a true non conflict of interest he should not only stand out of the meetings involving this but completely stand down as Carlton president. Until he does that then no-one can ever be satisfied that this deal will be in the best interests of both Telstra Dome and Carlton.
It doesn't seem above board because too many people have no idea what they are looking at and more importantly what they are entitled to. The only people who have to be satisfied are Carlton and TD. If they are happy then it is the right deal. How on Earth can that not be the case?

Originally posted by hotpie
If Carton's deal is even a cent better than the deal any other tenant gets there should be a massive uproar.
Why and how on earth can you judge it anyway? If would be a better deal than Melbourne would get and agruably not as good as perhaps Collingwood might hypothetically get. Why would you expect that not to be the case?

Why?

How does this negatively affect any of the other tenants? Why would this coi be of any interest to anyone else but shareholders of TD and CarltonFC & SC members?

Originally posted by Deej
Why?

How does this negatively affect any of the other tenants? Why would this coi be of any interest to anyone else but shareholders of TD and CarltonFC & SC members?

If Carlton are getting preferential treatment it is unquestionably a COI issue.

Originally posted by stopeedie
This is a complete outrage, how can this happen? Collins has a massive conflict of interest here. I may have to change my name to stopcollo!
Hahaha. Stop Collo from doing what? Securing another anchor tenant for TD? I believe that would represent quite a coup to snaffle Carlton from their competitors over in Jolimont, one which the shareholders of TD would be suitably chuffed with. And with good reason, Carlton have a huge supporter base that is largely latent, who says this deal isn't something the shareholders of TD are punting will bring many of these latent supporters out in droves?

I believe Carlton have the potential to be every bit as big a club as either Essendon or Collingwood, maybe bigger.

If Carlton are getting preferential treatment it is unquestionably a COI issue.
Yes i agree, but it's only a coi issue that affects carlton members and the TD shareholders. It is of absolutely no concern to anyone else. You lot have absolutely no interest in this and are just waffling from the hip.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dome in $3m bid for Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back