Dome in $3m bid for Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by SurreyBlue
If the AFL and the Government want the Carlton Football Club to move out of OO then they need to pay, and pay big, else we will continue to play there and demand games scheduled at OO after 2006.

Demand away, the AFL is under no obligation to listen.

Originally posted by Deej
Of course you would be, it's cause i'm right. As usual.

In this case you are correct.

If for example the Blues are terrible for the next five years, but have received a sweetheart deal with TD because Collo is GM and Pres, the TD shareholders have the ability to get rid of Collo.

Make no economic sense to trade away profits to a deal because the GM wants it so. Can be tricky but the GM/Pres has to step out of negotiations completely.
The COI is well known and documented and would be declared at any minuted meeting where this deal is discussed.

Collins would follow correct business law procedure on any boardroom discussions or vote. He would have to, as this is so transparent.
Unfortunately the perception will remain with some.

Originally posted by Deej
You're just desperate hotpie, it's a non-issue.

I think Carlton should be stripped of the four Premiership points it won last week and the points given to their opponents.

Its probably a non-issue because Collo isn't a stupid man. But if it ever comes to light that Collo has used his influence to give Carlton an unfair leg-up it wouldn't otherwise get without his TD connections, then game on, all hell will break loose.

Originally posted by Cat In A Hat
My concern from the Article in the Age was that no club can get a better deal than Essendon. Pretty stupid clause that seems to nothing but hold back the progress of the AFL.

How?

Surely this is ludacrous and I doubt it would hold up in court.

Why?

Originally posted by hotpie
I think Carlton should be stripped of the four Premiership points it won last week and the points given to their opponents.

You're being very silly.

Its probably a non-issue because Collo isn't a stupid man. But if it ever comes to light that Collo has used his influence to give Carlton an unfair leg-up it wouldn't otherwise get without his TD connections, then game on, all hell will break loose.

Why would it be unfair? About as unfair as having your president plug club sposors on a high rating TV show every week?

I find it amusing that most people are presuming that this is a good deal for Carlton. The $3Mil payment will come at a cost, and that will probably be reduced income from home games scheduled there. I'd be waiting for the fine print to come to light before making any assumptions on how good or bad the deal is for Carlton.

Originally posted by JeffDunne
I find it amusing that most people are presuming that this is a good deal for Carlton. The $3Mil payment will come at a cost, and that will probably be reduced income from home games scheduled there. I'd be waiting for the fine print to come to light before making any assumptions on how good or bad the deal is for Carlton.
This is my stance too. I won't be endorsing anything unless all avenues are explored either. MCG is my preferred venue still.

my take was this thread was on the percieved COI of Collo and that it would be a donething that the Blues would get preferential treatment because of this.

Every supporter whose club is a tenant seems to think that the Blues will get a 'deal' that threatens theirs.

Ii cant see who it does.

If the bummers have a contract with the Done that specifies that nobody can get a better deal than them, I suspect they have a legal authority to verify this. Would seem a pretty stupid clause if it didn't.

So if TD was to offer Carlton more than Essendon, they would have to up the Essendon deal to at least match it. Would seem highly unlikely unless the numbers at the Dome are now that good that they can afford to pay the bummers more also. Since St Kilda has a fix return arrangement with TD, maybe their better than expected crowds are a windfall for them.

The issue for blues fans is can a better deal be found elsewhere?

I agree, can you believe that.

Originally posted by marcuz
Carlton will be working for essendon now. Remember any merchandise you sell in the stadium a percentage goes to us.

Good to have you on board.;)

"Anchor Tenant" would mean that this would no longer be the case and that we would be sharing the merchandise distribution. This again will need to be clarified. Marcus, I'm sure we wouldn't be that silly as to sign our merchandise sales over to your club or anyone else either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by SurreyBlue
"Anchor Tenant" would mean that this would no longer be the case and that we would be sharing the merchandise distribution. This again will need to be clarified.

We run the merchandise shop..i think not only do we get a fee to let other clubs use it but im sure we get a cut from all sales. There is an article on the net about this and ill try and dig it up.

Originally posted by Cat In A Hat
My concern from the Article in the Age was that no club can get a better deal than Essendon.
Pretty smart clause from Essendon's point of view and inspired by the fact that there's no other way to protect their competitive position in the event that they are locked in and far better incentives are offered later.

My concern is that the AFL just sit back and let this all happen. They should have a clause with TD that states that clubs are treated equally. Big drawing clubs will get better returns based on the fact that they are big drawing clubs. What's ridiculous is one club can loose money on a 30K crowd and another can make a significant profit on an indentical crowd.

got in a little late, but i can't believe this COI garbage i am reading. THERE IS NO COI. If both boards are aware of the interests of collins, and have no problem with it then ...... THERE IS NO COI. It comes down to the board, if they ratify the decisions, and approve of collins's dealings concerning both entities then ........ THERE IS NO COI.

So get over it and "move along........... cause there’s nothing to see here"

On a personal note, as a bagger i would prefer if carlton was to move it's home games to the G.............. we don't play TD too well.

Originally posted by Joffaboy
Yup go Blues. ;)

Im strarting to like you Joffaboy.;)
Look at pieman or whatever he is calledc crying at the plight of Collingwood having to train at Olympic Park impossible to park your car to watch them train.
Richmond station isnt too far away.....

By the way Optus is about to get a huge face lift.It will be a recreation facility for the residents in the area with a swimmingpool, state of the art gymnasium etc. It will also be the Carlton HQs and the training ground of the blues and probably Melbourne.*(I forgot Melbourne Uni)

State of the art training facilities and a brand spanking new headquarters plus 3 million in the pocket!
Excellent!!!:D

Originally posted by K9-54
Pretty smart clause from Essendon's point of view and inspired by the fact that there's no other way to protect their competitive position in the event that they are locked in and far better incentives are offered later.

My concern is that the AFL just sit back and let this all happen. They should have a clause with TD that states that clubs are treated equally. Big drawing clubs will get better returns based on the fact that they are big drawing clubs. What's ridiculous is one club can loose money on a 30K crowd and another can make a significant profit on an indentical crowd.

How can the AFL impose clauses and conditions on a privately run business???

Originally posted by TheHeatleyStand
Im strarting to like you Joffaboy.;)
LOL, don't get too carried away with the old Joff, he's got a dark side as well. Next week a Saints/Blues/Hamill/Goddard thread will come up and you'll put out your hand to pat him and he'll bite it off! ;)

Originally posted by godsmack
got in a little late, but i can't believe this COI garbage i am reading. THERE IS NO COI. If both boards are aware of the interests of collins, and have no problem with it then ...... THERE IS NO COI. It comes down to the board, if they ratify the decisions, and approve of collins's dealings concerning both entities then ........ THERE IS NO COI.

So get over it and "move along........... cause there’s nothing to see here"

On a personal note, as a bagger i would prefer if carlton was to move it's home games to the G.............. we don't play TD too well.

yeah............but when collins is the head of both of these boards it's not that difficult to guess what his position would be.
get the blues to TD with no negotiations entered into would just about sum it up.
i do agree however that it is being blown out of proportion but it cant be said that NO conflict exists.
would be interesting to see if the MCG came up with a better offer, although from what i've read that is unlikely.
but it would be very interesting.

Originally posted by tomaraya
yeah............but when collins is the head of both of these boards it's not that difficult to guess what his position would be.
get the blues to TD with no negotiations entered into would just about sum it up.
i do agree however that it is being blown out of proportion but it cant be said that NO conflict exists.
would be interesting to see if the MCG came up with a better offer, although from what i've read that is unlikely.
but it would be very interesting.
I hope Goughie (ex Carlton CEO) does come in with a better offer only to have the TD come in with another and we walk away with 10 mill before anyone realises what happened.

Never underestimate Carlton the tentacles stretch very far......or as Jack Dyer would say the testicles...
Either way weve alwayd had the balls to make things happen right or wrong.
We took the AFL to court (which cost us $300k ) overr Hamill, opening up the road for the appeals system which every club has taken advantage of but didnt contribute a cent.
We stayed out our home ground as long as we could when everyone else just desserted theirs.
There are only 3 big clubs in the AFL (including Essendon and Collingwood) no matter how others try to paint things.

Theres a fair bit of jealousy going on but if you think about it,Telstra will then have 2 of the top 3 drawing/membership clubs playing out of the Dome that has to be good business.

There are only 3 big clubs in the AFL (including Essendon and Collingwood) no matter how others try to paint things.

Essendon Collingwood and StKilda.

Essendon Collingwood and StKilda.
Then dont worry about what Carlton do, were no threat.
Youre sitting nice and easy at the bottom....why would you think we might threaten you by bing given a cheque for 3 mill by channel 7 to go to Telstra and having our spiritual home brought into the new age by the state govts Melbourne City Council and the the AFL while you guys have to catch a train to Richmomond to watch yourselves train???:D

Then dont worry about what Carlton do, were no threat.
Youre sitting nice and easy at the bottom....

And if we stay there we'll get priority picks. How's Goddard travelling?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dome in $3m bid for Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back