Opinion Domestic Politics BF style

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s good, but not at the expense of the taxpayer. Channel Nine sent a team of over 100 employees to Paris for the games and set up its own studios in Paris, and the taxpayer paid nothing. Channel Nine paid for everything, unlike the ABC, which sent four people: these two dimbats (being the hosts), a producer, and another employee. The $135k was spent on flights, accommodation, hospitality, equipment, transport, and broadcasting costs. Gee wiz, we are breaking backs with work, uni, or doing both, and these muppets are drinking Moët, sleeping in 5-star hotels, and tanning themselves in the hot sun in France, while the rest of us back home can’t afford to do the simple things in life. Yeah, not a good look.

ABC provides good coverage though, nine is shite.

ABC is great value imo

So my post has caused a stir, a lot of support for ABC. So let me address a few things…

- The ABC is a vital part of the community, especially for our regional folks.

- Nine are scum media outlets, just in the same way: 10; the Murdoch Press, which owns the majority of the publications in Oz and Kerry Stokes; 7 and The West Australian newspaper.
Who doesn't provide independent, fair, impartial, and, most of all, truthful media in our country, and someone can be said, in a global pov with networks like CNN, MSNBC etc...

The Fed government has been spineless, and they should include bans on gambling ads, especially due to their impact on grooming the young and vulnerable. That’s a point I’ll get into more detail about at another time because it's utterly disgraceful that this is still happening in 2024.

However, when you have four people go to Paris and broadcast a show when there are already reports designated to cover the games, then we were the point of sending them there. I’d totally get if their role was to cover the games and also do the breakfast show; then I’d have no problems with it, but when there is still a cost of living crisis going on, I think it’s just a bad look and gives a bad taste, imo.

I believe that the $135K that went on ABC Adelaide could have gone to funding for organisations like The Children's Cancer Foundation, Fight MND, and Catherine House, who do a wonder job taking people off the street into a warm environment with a meal in front of them, and those are just to name a few.
I just think that this money could be better spent elsewhere than sending two radio hacks and their production, plus another person who was apart of the ABC Adelaide production team, to Paris for two weeks.

So my post has caused a stir, a lot of support for ABC. So let me address a few things…

- Nine are scum media outlets, just in the same way: 10; the Murdoch Press, which owns the majority of the publications in Oz and Kerry Stokes; 7 and The West Australian newspaper.
Who doesn't provide independent, fair, impartial, and, most of all, truthful media in our country, and someone can be said, in a global pov with networks like CNN, MSNBC etc...

The Fed government has been spineless, and they should include bans on gambling ads, especially due to their impact on grooming the young and vulnerable. That’s a point I’ll get into more detail about at another time because it's utterly disgraceful that this is still happening in 2024.

However, when you have four people go to Paris and broadcast a show when there are already reports designated to cover the games, then we were the point of sending them there. I’d totally get if their role was to cover the games and also do the breakfast show; then I’d have no problems with it, but when there is still a cost of living crisis going on, I think it’s just a bad look and gives a bad taste, imo.

I believe that the $135K that went on ABC Adelaide could have gone to funding for organisations like The Children's Cancer Foundation, Fight MND, and Catherine House, who do a wonder job taking people off the street into a warm environment with a meal in front of them, and those are just to name a few.
I just think that this money could be better spent elsewhere than sending two radio hacks and their production, plus another person who was apart of the ABC Adelaide production team, to Paris for two weeks.
BLOODY WELL SAID

I'd argue covering a major global sporting event that comes around once every 4 years is money well spent for a broadcaster. We've all seen the AFL games where the commentators are half checked out doing it from a studio in Melbourne when the game is interstate.

You could audit every dollar spent anywhere and find something else that it could have spent on.

I'd argue covering a major global sporting event that comes around once every 4 years is money well spent for a broadcaster. We've all seen the AFL games where the commentators are half checked out doing it from a studio in Melbourne when the game is interstate.

You could audit every dollar spent anywhere and find something else that it could have spent on.

But you're missing the point. ABC Adelaide still used $135k of taxpayer money for four people to go to Paris to just do the breakfast show; they didn’t cover the games in any shape or form in the two weeks of the games and didn't report on anything to do with the games. That’s the problem here. That’s money that could have and should have gone elsewhere to places like the Childhood Cancer Association and Catherine House. Again, that’s the problem. Bad look and a waste of taxpayer money.

But you're missing the point. ABC Adelaide still used $135k of taxpayer money for four people to go to Paris to just do the breakfast show; they didn’t cover the games in any shape or form in the two weeks of the games and didn't report on anything to do with the games. That’s the problem here. That’s money that could have and should have gone elsewhere to places like the Childhood Cancer Association and Catherine House. Again, that’s the problem. Bad look and a waste of taxpayer money.
Literally any taxpayer $ could go somewhere else more worthy. What about Gina’s millions, the submarines (you could cure homelessness with that), private schools ect ect ect

You’re focussing on some Murdoch press faux outrage.

Literally any taxpayer $ could go somewhere else more worthy. What about Gina’s millions, the submarines (you could cure homelessness with that), private schools ect ect ect

You’re focussing on some Murdoch press faux outrage.

🤣🤣🤣 Uhh no, I can’t stomach the Murdoch Media but it’s still doesn’t take away that’s it a bad look for the ABC and ABC Adelaide.

The bias towards the ABC is insane. In this instead ABC Adelaide got it wrong imo.

End of.

You really don't get it. If the ABC didn't spend that money sending four people to France, then the ABC would've spent that money on something else. The money came out of the ABC's operating budget.

They didn't put in cost reimbursements for extra money. In fact, they probably paid for it by reducing costs elsewherein the operation during the financial year.

Could probably make up a large chunk of that money by putting off a couple of IT upgrades during the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You really don't get it. If the ABC didn't spend that money sending four people to France, then the ABC would've spent that money on something else. The money came out of the ABC's operating budget.

They didn't put in cost reimbursements for extra money. In fact, they probably paid for it by reducing costs elsewherein the operation during the financial year.

Could probably make up a large chunk of that money by putting off a couple of IT upgrades during the year.
Nah m8, the ABC is why cancer and bums still exist.

It’s absolutely disgraceful for these radio hacks to use $135,000 of our taxpayer money to send ABC breakfast duo Sonya Feldhoff and Jules Schiller to Paris for the Olympics.

According to The Advertiser.

The Australian reports today that in response to a question on notice from a Senate hearing last month, Labor’s Senator Murray Watt said the “forecasted spend” for the Adelaide radio crew’s trip to Paris “is estimated to be $135k.”
The spend included flights, accommodation, hospitality, equipment, transport and broadcasting costs.
Before leaving for Paris, the ABC said the pair would “provide additional reporting on the ground and to present the local breakfast show every day”.

This was reported by The Advertiser and The Australian.

When in fact, the pair of radio hacks were not involved in the calling of any live sport during the Paris Games, and the ABC already had reports designated reporter's to cover the games for the ABC.

While we are facing a cost-of-living crisis and multiple interest rate rises, individuals and families are making sacrifices to even put a meal in front of themselves and their loved ones. This is a huge middle finger by the ABC to the taxpayer. Shame on them.

The reason why they were sent was because 9 Radio had the exclusive rights in Sydney 2GB, Melbourne 3AW, Brisbane 4BC and Perth 6PR.

If you lived in one of those cities you had to tune into a country ABC Radio station to listen to the ABC call of the Games. Most of the commentators like Bruce, Quentin Hull and Melinda-Gainsford Taylor doing the athletics were in a studio that 9 Network built and were calling off TV screens.

A handful of ABC TV and Radio sports presenters were sent to Paris. So Adelaide ABC Radio 891 were the biggest ABC station who could broadcast the ABC coverage to their local audience and they got the gig. That's why the 2 SA presenters went to supplement what the sports team did by watching TV screens and calling sports.

If ABC Radio Sydney didn't get cut out by 9 Radio's 2GB, they would have sent the Sydney Breakfast team, as the last swimming and athletics events and other major sports Aussies were involved with finished between 6am and 7am EST, so the Breakfast program then supplements, extends the Olympics coverage to talk about what was happening on the ground in Paris. You can't really do that watching a TV screen.

And some of the stuff produced by the Adelaide crew went around the nation, especially on those 4 major capital stations that couldn't broadcast anything under the deal 9 Network and AOC struck with the ABC only 2 or 3 weeks before the Games started.

No big deal, its was brilliant ABC Radio coverage which for years left TV in its wake with up to minute sports info, whilst commercial TV were showing ads, human interest stories or the 15th re run of an Aussie winning a medal when real sport was on live. Multi channelling and internet channels on 9Now means you can now watch a shit load more than 10 years ago, but not everyone in Oz has access to those thru 9Now.

Last edited:
The reason why they were sent was because 9 Radio had the exclusive rights in Sydney 2GB, Melbourne 3AW, Brisbane 4BC and Perth 6PR.

If you lived in one of those cities you had to tune into a country ABC Radio station to listen to the ABC call of the Games. Most of the commentators like Bruce, Quentin Hull and Melinda-Gainsford Taylor doing the athletics were in a studio that 9 Network built and were calling off TV screens.

A handful of ABC TV and Radio sports presenters were sent to Paris. So Adelaide ABC Radio 891 were the biggest ABC station who could broadcast the ABC coverage to their local audience and they got the gig. That's why the 2 SA presenters went to supplement what the sports team did by watching TV screens and calling sports.

If ABC Radio Sydney didn't get cut out by 9 Radio's 2GB, they would have sent the Sydney Breakfast team, as the last swimming and athletics events and other major sports Aussies were involved with finished between 6am and 7am EST, so the Breakfast program then supplements, extends the Olympics coverage to talk about what was happening on the ground in Paris. You can't really do that watching a TV screen.

And some of the stuff produced by the Adelaide crew went around the nation, especially on those 4 major capital stations that couldn't broadcast anything under the deal 9 Network and AOC struck with the ABC only 2 or 3 weeks before the Games started.

No big deal, its was brilliant ABC Radio coverage which for years left TV in its wake with up to minute sports info, whilst commercial TV were showing ads, human interest stories or the 15th re run of an Aussie w than inning a medal when real sport was on live. Multi channelling and internet channels on 9Now means you can now watch a shit load more 10 years ago, but not everyone in Oz has access to those thru 9Now.

Thanks for the info, REH. I’d didn’t realise they covered the games aswell. I reported that they didn’t cover the games due the tiser report that they didn’t cover the games and just did the breakfast show in Paris. I retract all of my comments from a couple days ago. Again thanks for that.

Thanks for the info, REH. I’d didn’t realise they covered the games aswell. I reported that they didn’t cover the games due the tiser report that they didn’t cover the games and just did the breakfast show in Paris. I retract all of my comments from a couple days ago. Again thanks for that.
Not many people who aren't regular listeners to ABC Radio, knew they were doing the Games.

I reckon it was part of a deliberate strategy by 9 Network to leave it so late to give them access to some of the radio rights. The AOC wanted the whole country to get access like the ABC had done for decades.

As 7 Network didn't have a radio arm they were happy to split the rights with the old Fairfax Radio Network and ABC Radio and let them compete in the 4 biggest capital cities.

The fact that ABC Radio snapped Bruce up within a few days of getting the rights, was probably proof they wanted to minimise the impact the ABC had on their radio coverage, by delaying the deal so late.

Even though 9 Network bought Fairfax in July 2018, I'm pretty sure 7 had already done a deal with both radio networks for Tokyo. Then 7 didn't bid overly competitively for the 5 games between 2024 and 2032, as 9 Network thru their radio arm and all its digital platforms could earn decent radio income, that 7 couldn't do. They could only just on sell the rights.

Flicked from the footy to ABC News channel and saw the NT election was on. Forgot all about that the vote was today.

CLP had a big win, but one of the journos said that leader Lia Finocchiaro is the 14th Chief Minister in the NT and is the first born and bred Territorian to be Chief Minister.

Guess that's a big deal given they have only had self government since 1974, and the first 2 majority leaders of the House of Assembly were effectively the Chief Minister until Paul Everingham ( 2nd one) was given the official first job title of Chief Minister in 1978.

At 39 Lia is one of the youngest premiers / chief ministers around the country, maybe the youngest, the last 50 years or so since I've been paying attention to politics.

Edit Dominic Perrottet was also 39 when he became NSW premier. But he looked 10 years older with his grey hair and old style glasses.

Last edited:
Flicked from the footy to ABC News channel and saw the NT election was on. Forgot all about that the vote was today.

CLP had a big win, but one of the journos said that lead Lia Finocchiaro is the 14th Chief Minister in the NT and is the first born and bred Territorian to be Chief Minister.

Guess that's a big deal given they have only had self government since 1974, and the first 2 majority leaders of the House of Assembly were effectively the Chief Minister until Paul Everingham ( 2nd one) was given the official first job title of Chief Minister in 1978.

At 39 Lia is one of the youngest premiers / chief ministers around the country, maybe the youngest, the last 50 years or so since I've been paying attention to politics.

Seemed like a large chunk of the election lead up was about who was best situated to get the crime issues in the territory sorted.

I'm more interested to see how far over the ropes the Labor party get hit for six at the upcoming QLD election.

If only we had some kind of industry that would make some use of our locally produced steel and iron. Perhaps an industry could have been revived during the pandemic and said minerals could have been utilised thus strengthening our job market and economy all the better by providing a locally made alternative to cheap Chinese rubbish.

Remember when the SA Parliament neutered the investigative powers of the States' Independent Commission Against Corruption? The legislation to cut its powers was introduced into Parliament and passed by EVERY MP in record time.

Outgoing ICAC Commissioner Ann Vanstone has just tabled her last report to Parliament and it includes reference to an unnamed Ministerial Adviser who was investigated for receiving large and regular deposits of money into his private bank account which was indicative that they "might have been engaging in corruption".

Vanstone wrote that an investigation found the adviser's financial situation was "tenuous", but

"There was no illegality, but there was vulnerability." :think:

"Notwithstanding that no evidence of corruption was found, the investigation did highlight the significant corruption risks for ministerial staff, and for the staff of members of parliament,"

"Appointments to ministerial advisor roles are likely to be made based on political allegiances rather than a merit-based recruitment process that agencies must follow," the commissioner wrote.

No wonder they wanted her gone and ICAC neutered - politicians are all about setting standards and rules for others, and throwing the book at those who transgress, but they never want the same rules applied to themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Domestic Politics BF style

Remove this Banner Ad

Back