Domestic Violence Epidemic

Remove this Banner Ad

'Crisis support services for women and children experiencing domestic violence are so stretched that some victims reporting harm never receive a response, an expert review has told the Albanese government.'

'Report of the Rapid Review of Prevention Approaches to End Gender-Based Violence

Release Date:
Friday 23 August 2024
Media release

97 pages

Unlocking the Prevention Potential:

Accelerating action to end domestic,family and sexual violence.
Report of the Rapid Review of Prevention Approaches

Prepared by the Rapid Review Expert Panel:

Ms Elena Campbell,
Dr Todd Fernando,
Dr Leigh Gassner APM,
Ms Jess Hill,
Dr Zac Seidler &
Dr Anne Summers AO.

'Body of man, 62, found in surfboard bag on property'

'Police arrested Lisa Marie Cummings 35, of Nambucca Heads on Loftus Street, Nambucca Heads yesterday at about 2.10pm yesterday.

She was taken to Macksville Police Station where she was charged with murder (domestic violence).

Police will be alleging in court the woman and man were known to each other.
...'

It's pretty much been confirmed as involving a serious DV incident.

'...
Eyewitness Wayne told 2GB radio a man and a woman in a white Jaguar sedan had gone through the intersection and hit a blue Mitsubishi Lancer.

The man got out of the Jaguar and said, “I’m going to kill you to the woman,” Wayne said, adding the man was armed with a Stanley knife and started to “rant and rave”.

A woman – understood to be a passenger in a vehicle involved in the collision – was found also suffering multiple wounds.

Cronulla Sharks chairman Steve Mace reportedly held off the man with a knife in Engadine as he was on his way to his son’s football match.
“I heard the guy screaming in the car and then I heard his partner screaming even louder. I tried to open the door and finally jammed it open.

“I saw him slashing her. Cutting her neck, her breast, across the stomach. Wherever he could go. I tried to get her out to stop the stabbing.”

Mace said another man came to the aid of the victim before he too was slashed by the alleged perpetrator.
“He copped a gash from [his shoulder] down to his belly button. We finally got her out.

“We laid her down and then the [attacker] has got out. He has come around and then tried to get her. We got her back in the car to try and protect her.

“There was a little torch which is all I could grab. Then it was like a stand-off which felt like an hour.

“Police got there … all he was worried about was preaching to us all.

It's pretty much been confirmed as involving a serious DV incident.

'...
Eyewitness Wayne told 2GB radio a man and a woman in a white Jaguar sedan had gone through the intersection and hit a blue Mitsubishi Lancer.

The man got out of the Jaguar and said, “I’m going to kill you to the woman,” Wayne said, adding the man was armed with a Stanley knife and started to “rant and rave”.

A woman – understood to be a passenger in a vehicle involved in the collision – was found also suffering multiple wounds.

Cronulla Sharks chairman Steve Mace reportedly held off the man with a knife in Engadine as he was on his way to his son’s football match.
“I heard the guy screaming in the car and then I heard his partner screaming even louder. I tried to open the door and finally jammed it open.

“I saw him slashing her. Cutting her neck, her breast, across the stomach. Wherever he could go. I tried to get her out to stop the stabbing.”

Mace said another man came to the aid of the victim before he too was slashed by the alleged perpetrator.
“He copped a gash from [his shoulder] down to his belly button. We finally got her out.

“We laid her down and then the [attacker] has got out. He has come around and then tried to get her. We got her back in the car to try and protect her.

“There was a little torch which is all I could grab. Then it was like a stand-off which felt like an hour.

“Police got there … all he was worried about was preaching to us all.

The offender was also ranting about vaccines. If he hadn't attacked his wife he might have gone on to hurt even more people.

"(He was going on about) it's a big conspiracy about the jab, and we're all getting followed, and we're all dead anyway."

The offender was also ranting about vaccines. If he hadn't attacked his wife he might have gone on to hurt even more people.

"(He was going on about) it's a big conspiracy about the jab, and we're all getting followed, and we're all dead anyway."
Shame the cops didn't feel threatened enough to defend themselves with lethal force even though they were attacked Would have been a better result for society.

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The deceased man has been named and reported to have been in a form of domestic relationship with his accused murderer.

'A woman accused of murdering a man before his body was found inside a surfboard bag is believed to have been in a relationship with him and paying him rent.

Lisa Marie Cummings, 35, was arrested after Mark Myers, 62, was found dead at a Darkwood home in Coffs Harbour, on the NSW north coast, at 7pm on Thursday.
Cummings was handcuffed at a Loftus Street property at Nambucca Heads, 70km away, on Friday and charged with murder (domestic violence) and refused bail.

NSW Police sources claimed to the Daily Telegraph that Cummings had been paying rent to Mr Myers and that she was in a relationship with him.

Mr Myers is believed to have died somewhere else before his body was found on the driveway. '

Last edited:
The deceased man has been named and reported to have been in a form of domestic relationship with his accused murderer.

'A woman accused of murdering a man before his body was found inside a surfboard bag is believed to have been in a relationship with him and paying him rent.

Lisa Marie Cummings, 35, was arrested after Mark Myers, 62, was found dead at a Darkwood home in Coffs Harbour, on the NSW north coast, at 7pm on Thursday.
Cummings was handcuffed at a Loftus Street property at Nambucca Heads, 70km away, on Friday and charged with murder (domestic violence) and refused bail.

NSW Police sources claimed to the Daily Telegraph that Cummings had been paying rent to Mr Myers and that she was in a relationship with him.

Mr Myers is believed to have died somewhere else before his body was found on the driveway. '
What a lovely lady!

'On Wednesday, Wilkinson’s estranged husband, Brian Earl Johnston, a former US Marine, pleaded guilty to her murder. A court has previously heard that Johnston tied Wilkinson to a clothesline and set her on fire on 20 April 2021.'

A 2021 article on the case.
'Kerry Carrington, a criminologist and expert on gendered violence from the Queensland University of Technology, suggested Wilkinson’s death was preventable.

“It’s entirely predictable. If it’s predictable it’s preventable,” she said.

Carrington has been leading calls for women-only police stations – so far opposed by police in Queensland – having seen the effectiveness of the model in Argentina where officers work alongside social workers, lawyers, psychologists and childcare workers.

“Where were the high-risk teams? Where is the social housing to make people safe during those times [of high risk]? Where is the surveillance? Where is the support for women?” she said.

“Our entire approach to domestic violence is reactive and not preventative. You don’t wait until someone is killed … it’s too late.”'

Kelly Wilkinson's killer Brian Earl Johnston faces committal over rape charges​

Johnston, 37, is serving a life sentence for Ms Wilkinson's murder after this year pleading guilty to stabbing the Gold Coast mum and setting her on fire at her Arundel home in April 2021. Harrowing details of Ms Wilkinson's diminished life and Johnston's alleged "unravelling" were aired in a committal hearing in the Southport Magistrates Court on Tuesday.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-08...er-brian-earl-johnston-rape-charges/104273498

Kelly Wilkinson's killer Brian Earl Johnston faces committal over rape charges​

Johnston, 37, is serving a life sentence for Ms Wilkinson's murder after this year pleading guilty to stabbing the Gold Coast mum and setting her on fire at her Arundel home in April 2021. Harrowing details of Ms Wilkinson's diminished life and Johnston's alleged "unravelling" were aired in a committal hearing in the Southport Magistrates Court on Tuesday.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-08...er-brian-earl-johnston-rape-charges/104273498
Going to trial for alleged rape(s) of the person you are already serving a life sentence for killing, is probably quite rare?

'‘Not guilty, Your Honour’: Murderer Brian Earl Johnston committed to stand trial for alleged rape of slain ex-wife Kelly Wilkinson'

'August 28, 2024 - 1:50PM'

Alcohol-fuelled violence rates drop in WA towns with liquor restrictions​

Six weeks after alcohol restrictions were introduced in three regional towns in Western Australia's far north, the state government says it has seen an "almost immediate" drop in rates of alcohol-fuelled family and domestic violence (FDV).

According to figures provided to the government by WA Police, there has been a 42 per cent decrease in the number of alcohol-related FDV offences across Broome, Derby and Fitzroy Crossing since the restrictions were introduced on July 15.

The figures were a snapshot of the first four weeks and compared to the same period in 2023.

In May, the ABC reported that the Kimberley had recorded the highest number of FDV offences out of any other policing district in the state, with an average of 19 offences a day.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-09...pact-kimberley-wa-domestic-violence/104281988

NSW government proposes suite of 'very tough' domestic violence changes​

Repeat domestic violence abusers will face additional prison time, while other serious offenders will be required to inform police of any online dating profiles they create, if a suite of legislative reforms are passed in the NSW parliament this month.

The Minns government will introduce new offences, court orders and other changes in a bid to address gaps in the state's domestic, family and sexual violence legislation.

Under proposed changes to the Crimes (Domestic and Personal Violence) Act, a new offence of "knowingly contravening an Apprehended Domestic Violence Order (ADVO) with intent to cause harm or fear" would be introduced.

The new charge would see offenders jailed for a maximum of three years and carry a fine of up to $11,000.

Currently, breaching an ADVO carries a maximum of two years in jail and/or a $5,000 fine.

A new "persistent breach" offence would also see repeat offenders facing five years in jail and a $16,500 fine if they knowingly contravene an ADVO three or more times in a 28-day period.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-09...ntroduce-new-domestic-violence-laws/104296988

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NSW government proposes suite of 'very tough' domestic violence changes​

Repeat domestic violence abusers will face additional prison time, while other serious offenders will be required to inform police of any online dating profiles they create, if a suite of legislative reforms are passed in the NSW parliament this month.

The Minns government will introduce new offences, court orders and other changes in a bid to address gaps in the state's domestic, family and sexual violence legislation.
Oh “very tough” yes yes sounds great, what have we got then…

Under proposed changes to the Crimes (Domestic and Personal Violence) Act, a new offence of "knowingly contravening an Apprehended Domestic Violence Order (ADVO) with intent to cause harm or fear" would be introduced.
Yes good…

The new charge would see offenders jailed for a maximum of three years and carry a fine of up to $11,000.
Absolutely pissweak..

Currently, breaching an ADVO carries a maximum of two years in jail and/or a $5,000 fine.
Wonder if that maximum has ever been made use of. Gee the extra year and $6000 is definitely gonna put these specimens off beating their partners. Surely they could have at least proposed doubling it. While they’re at it, if an offender “knowingly breaches an ADVO” maybe propose just mandatory jailing for 28 days the first time they breach it instead of waiting for them to continuously breach it over 28 days since it’s a f*king clear sign of escalating behaviour??

A new "persistent breach" offence would also see repeat offenders facing five years in jail and a $16,500 fine if they knowingly contravene an ADVO three or more times in a 28-day period.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-09...ntroduce-new-domestic-violence-laws/104296988
If they “knowingly contravene” an ADVO three or more times currently shouldn’t they be up for at least 3x the maximum of a single breach, which would be $15,000 and 6 years in jail anyway?

But sure, “very tough”.

Try “very tough” to read if you give a **** about victims of DV.

I'm still gobsmacked at how awful Australia/NSW's legal system was in relation to DV murders back in the 1980's.

Where evidence of a wife having an affair was enough to turn a husband's murder charge into manslaughter and only result in spending 22 months in jail and allowed to care for the children upon release from jail.

“The truth is, my dad killed my mum,” says Joy. It was in January 1985 and Carolyn Joy Stuckey, 32, was a loved school teacher living in the New South Wales town of Lismore. Kathryn was just three months old at the time.

As a child, Joy would not have been able to explain why the three young children present in the home when their mother died were handed back to live with her killer. Allan Stuckey, who spent just 22 months in jail for shooting his wife in the abdomen and head with a bolt-action rifle, said almost nothing to the children.

A jury had accepted Stuckey’s defence that he was “provoked” because his wife was having an affair with a man from her local amateur theatre group. Stuckey – who had called police, telling them he shot Carolyn – was cleared of murder and convicted of the lesser charge of manslaughter.

Though he had monitored Carolyn by hiring a private detective, Stuckey was described by the trial judge as “undoubtedly at all times a man of exceptional character and obvious good standing in the community”, who had controlled himself well before snapping.

Revealed: KillJoy will be streaming on Stan (owned by Nine, publisher of this masthead) from September 8.

Not sure if this is strictly a DV related case but here it is.

The court heard Ms Bell was killed in her home after the pair both consumed the hallucinogenic drug DOI, and Edwards experienced a paranoid psychosis.

He then inflicted more than 50 injuries on Ms Bell, striking her in the head with a metal dumbbell and stabbing her after she had died.

Sentencing submissions were heard on Thursday in the Supreme Court sitting at Mount Gambier.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-09...bmissions-synamin-bell-manslaughter/104314706

As an aside, I had to look up what DOI was and now wondering who could have originally cooked this up?

It's manufactured legally so maybe somebody can purchase it. Otherwise, as a substituted amphetamine, there'd be plenty of organic chemists out there who could make it with access to the precursors.

I assumed the precursor would be the same as amphetamine. Do you know what the precursor in this is?

I assumed the precursor would be the same as amphetamine. Do you know what the precursor in this is?
It's been many years since I did any organic chemistry but yes I also assume the same precursors could be used, perhaps with one or two additions. There's many precursors, depending on which recipe you want to use. Ephedrine was the easiest but became harder to obtain, hence pseudoephedrine. Organic solvent. A base such as caustic soda, and an acid, from memory. One of the recipes uses lithium I think but I don't know why. I can't recall the whole lot (and don't want that search on my Google profile!) but it's not an especially complex molecule or process. But I wouldn't be surprised if it is made in China and delivered in the mail.

Going to trial for alleged rape(s) of the person you are already serving a life sentence for killing, is probably quite rare?

'‘Not guilty, Your Honour’: Murderer Brian Earl Johnston committed to stand trial for alleged rape of slain ex-wife Kelly Wilkinson'

'August 28, 2024 - 1:50PM'

Johnston's mate Bradley Bell, dropped him off near Kelly's house has also to face the consequences.

A man accused of being involved in the death of Gold Coast woman Kelly Wilkinson told police he knew her killer wanted to "tie her up and burn her" before he drove him to her house, a jury has heard.

On Monday Bradley Bell pleaded not guilty to the 27-year-old's murder on the first day of his Supreme Court trial in Brisbane.

The jury heard in April 2021, Mr Bell's colleague, Brian Johnston, who was also Ms Wilkinson's husband, had repeatedly stabbed her before he set her on fire at her Arundel home.

Crown Prosecutor David Nardone told the jury Mr Bell was "not the man who actually caused the death" but was being tried as a party to Johnston's offence, because he allegedly helped him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Domestic Violence Epidemic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back