Toast Don Pyke - Adelaide Senior Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a Crows supporter, but I wanted to commend West Coast on how well they did this year in taking it all the way to the Grand Final, even if they didn't win the Flag.

It's just been announced that Don Pyke has been given the job as new Senior Coach of the Crows:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-09/don-pyke-named-new-adelaide-coach

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2015-10-09/pyke-named-new-crows-coach

I just wanted to say I know next to nothing about him, other than his name, and the fact that he was recently an Assistant Coach at West Coast. I'm not looking to be rude or disrespectful to anyone, but I would appreciate it if there were some Eagles supporters that might be able to give me a bit of insight into what he's all about. In particular, any main strategies or focus? All coaches have them.
Alistair Clarkson relies on precise kicking.
Neil Craig was cycling training and the use of handball-backwards-rugby-style.
Ross Lyon relies on defensive pressure all over the paddock.
Just to name a few.

Does anyone know of Pyke's main themes or focuses?

Again, not meaning to be rude or disrespectful to anyone here.

I'm a Crows supporter, but I wanted to commend West Coast on how well they did this year in taking it all the way to the Grand Final, even if they didn't win the Flag.

It's just been announced that Don Pyke has been given the job as new Senior Coach of the Crows:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-09/don-pyke-named-new-adelaide-coach

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2015-10-09/pyke-named-new-crows-coach

I just wanted to say I know next to nothing about him, other than his name, and the fact that he was recently an Assistant Coach at West Coast. I'm not looking to be rude or disrespectful to anyone, but I would appreciate it if there were some Eagles supporters that might be able to give me a bit of insight into what he's all about. In particular, any main strategies or focus? All coaches have them.
Alistair Clarkson relies on precise kicking.
Neil Craig was cycling training and the use of handball-backwards-rugby-style.
Ross Lyon relies on defensive pressure all over the paddock.
Just to name a few.

Does anyone know of Pyke's main themes or focuses?

Again, not meaning to be rude or disrespectful to anyone here.
Yeah I can give you insight. Mates a family friend of his. Said his a good bloke. Is pretty tough and displined. His been quoted of saying some of these qoutes in the locker room
*Failure is not an option success is all I envsion.
*I keep having vivid dreams of success then its time to sleep
*If one of us go to war we all go to war
*Doubt is only removed by action. if your not working then thats where doubt comes in
*I believe in myself so much that nothings going to stop me
*Do I hate my opponents. How could I hate someone who has the same dreams as me.
*When warming up one should look to update the software without ruining the hardware.

Last edited:
Yeah I can give you insight. Mates a family friend of his. Said his a good bloke. Is pretty tough and displined. His been quoted of saying some of these qoutes in the locker room
*Failure is not an option suceess is all I envsion.
*I keep having vivid dreams of success then its time to sleep
*If one of us go to war we all go to war
*Doubt is only removed by action. if your not working then thats where doubt comes in
*I believe in myself so much that nothings going to stop me
*Do I hate my opponents. How could I hate someone who has the same dreams as me.
*When warming up one should look to update the software without ruining the hardware.

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated.

Like I said, I don't know bugger all about him, but from your comments, it seems he's a thinker, hard worker, and is fairly clever. The big problem at the Crows is that prior to the departure of Neil Craig and Steven Trigg, we were (and maybe still are?) a Club that hasn't been willing to make the tough decisions - wouldn't/won't adopt an all or nothing approach. Our Ladder positions are pretty much indicative of where we are as a Club:

Mid Ladder.

Not Cellar Dwellers, not by any means, but not serious Finals contenders either.
I'm hoping that with our new CEO, Andrew Fagan, and new Coach, Don Pyke....the gloves will be coming off. Our playing list needs a serious broom. Has for years. Hoping Pyke can make some serious steps here.

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated.

Like I said, I don't know bugger all about him, but from your comments, it seems he's a thinker, hard worker, and is fairly clever. The big problem at the Crows is that prior to the departure of Neil Craig and Steven Trigg, we were (and maybe still are?) a Club that hasn't been willing to make the tough decisions - wouldn't/won't adopt an all or nothing approach. Our Ladder positions are pretty much indicative of where we are as a Club:

Mid Ladder.

Not Cellar Dwellers, not by any means, but not serious Finals contenders either.
I'm hoping that with our new CEO, Andrew Fagan, and new Coach, Don Pyke....the gloves will be coming off. Our playing list needs a serious broom. Has for years. Hoping Pyke can make some serious steps here.
Nah I have no idea. Those quotes are from UFC Connor McGregger lol
You should never listen to someone that starts with- "a mate of mine said" as its the most untrustworthy line in the bigfooty rule book.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Curious choice as a head coach. His history is one of being in and out of football and doesn't have a long resume as an assistant for a man his age.

That said I was surprised when he joined our coaching group under Simpson for the same reasons yet it seems he must have had a real impact

Will be interesting to see how he goes in the fishbowl as head coach after being largely anonymous so far. Good luck to him

Living in Adelaide I've already heard the radio interviews. He comes across very Phil Walsh like.
The Crows love these older statesmen types.

I think he will do well. The Crows have 2 Crouch brothers to replace Dangerfield. A few guys came on this year like Laird and Cameron. Lever and Talia will only get better.
Get that home ground advantage back and they will push for finals by round 18.

Good luck to him.

A big loss for our club (even if somewhat offset by Wardrop joining us) , but couldn't have gone to a nicer club! Keeps the Eagles/Crows link alive
#weflyasone
Congratulations and all the best Don!

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Don Pyke - Adelaide Senior Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back