Don't be misled: AOD9604 is definitely a performance-enhancing drug

Remove this Banner Ad

Chewy

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 16, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
One thing I've noticed when reading the posts of delusional Essendon fans is the repeated claim that peptide AOD9604 is "not a performance-enhancing drug". I'm not sure where they're getting their info from (the Essendon FC spin doctors??) but it's a blatant falsehood.

Yes, it's an advanced anti-obesity drug. It has abdominal fat-burning capability. But it also replicates the muscle-building effects of human growth hormone

Here's some basic information I found:

AOD-9604 is a variant of growth hormone which has fat burning properties and may be used by athletes to increase power to weight ratios by better utilisation of fat stores. During clinical trials it was also found to have an anabolic effect on cartilage tissue and may promote cartilage creation and repair and have a capacity to enhance muscle formation.

AOD is a peptide 15 amino acids long which mimics a small portion of the growth hormone that has the fat reducing effects (increases fat metabolism). It works by mimicking the way natural growth hormone regulates fat metabolism but without the adverse effects on blood sugar and growth that is seen if unmodified growth hormone is given. It stimulates lipolysis (break down of fat) and inhibits lipogenesis (non fat food being stored in the body as fat).

AOD has been shown to target abnormal fat stores, and to prevent fat from being stored in the cells. Studies have shown that it reduces the most stubborn fat regions (like abdominal fat). It also has other benefits including increasing muscle mass, increasing IGF-1 (insulin growth factor) in a positive way to metabolise fat, and increase the amount of energy burned for the same amount of activity.

Other benefits which have been shown include an improvement in osteoarthritis. It does this by increasing cartilage and collagen production in the joints to increase the thickness and repair some of the damage. It has been shown to improve muscle, tendon and ligament repair, improve bone density which may have positive effects on osteoporosis.

AOD is given daily either as an injection or transdermal cream. The effects are accumulative and continue to improve while taking it.

Let's stick to the facts and stop spreading lies.

• Banned
Your fist paragraph is wrong... go back to googling,,, i cant be bothered correcting cut and pasting hyperbole

Before u get ur knickers in a twist... yes i actually agree its a PE... but your attempt at fact is pathetic... i fn dare you to argue this
:D Is that better?

I didn't mean to get into the technicalities of whether it was banned or is banned by WADA, whether it had yet to be classified and therefore was banned, whether it was approved by ASADA, blah blah blah

These are the arguments that will keep the lawyers busy over the next few months.

My point is simple: AOD9604 is a performance enhancing drug.

Jobe Watson has admitted he was injected (repeatedly) with a performance enhancing drug in 2012

You can all argue the effects of AOD and reasons for taking it until you’re blue in the face.

One thing remains - Essendon didn't orchestrate and undertake a shady supplements program in order for their side to get worse. They took AOD amongst other supplements to see improvements on field.

hey thought what they were doing was legal. Turns out it wasn’t. They are cheats.

One thing I've noticed when reading the posts of delusional Essendon fans is the repeated claim that peptide AOD9604 is "not a performance-enhancing drug". I'm not sure where they're getting their info from (the Essendon FC spin doctors??) but it's a blatant falsehood.

Yes, it's an advanced anti-obesity drug. It has abdominal fat-burning capability. But it also replicates the muscle-building effects of human growth hormone

Here's some basic information I found:

Let's stick to the facts and stop spreading lies.
the same one your captain took?

I can't believe we as Aussies are the 1st to point the finger of other countries on drug cheats, as soon as its in our own backyard and one of our afl footy teams, we seem to downplay the seriousness of drugs in sport, its crazy, and to think they didnt know what was being injected, doh. my favorite is the Shane Warne Diuretics that his mum gave him, lol, 12 month ban, Essendon minimum 2 year ban.....has to be.

• Banned
the same one your captain took?
I did read somewhere that someone suggested Trengrove had been administered with this peptide
in the form of a cream. Not sure if this claim is true. It could be. It might also be untrue. I know he didn't have the same course of injections the Essendon captain had.

Regardless, It doesn't matter how many other players also used AOD9604.

The point is Watson has admitted to being injected with a PERFORMANCE-ENHANCING DRUG in 2012

Essendon supporters are getting desperate resulting in what can be described as petty name calling at best

To enhance this thread Anoncomment strikes me as someone with the relevant education to explain to us non experts what this peptide is and why it is performance enhancing

this is AOD Jobe

YCTO38f.jpg

Im sorry I do not a comparison but the only reason why I dug up this photo because I saw jobe lift his shirt up about 2 months ago with no definition and almost had a gut so I was curious to see how he looked in 2012.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you say so... :rolleyes::thumbsu:

I know so... you demonstrate a severe lack of knowledge of how the compound works which is kinda funny that you came here to big note your self about facts... i agree the substance is grey area PE but your attempt at a cheap shot to sound all informed is flat out wrong... its the crux of the argument as to why everyone is so confused... you have made a complete fool out of your self trying to sound all smart and stuff...

Ill give you a hint chewy... pituitary gland...
You've got an issue with my use of the word "drug" ? Okay mate... whatever straws you want to clutch at... Maybe you should write to Hirdy and tell him to use that as a defence if all else fails. :D

Do you really think these peptides are harvested from the actual glands of humans or animals and then processed and packaged?

They are synthesized in a lab, you peanut.

They are a drug

I know so... you demonstrate a severe lack of knowledge of how the compound works which is kinda funny that you came here to big note your self about facts... i agree the substance is grey area PE but your attempt at a cheap shot to sound all informed is flat out wrong... its the crux of the argument as to why everyone is so confused... you have made a complete fool out of your self trying to sound all smart and stuff...
No.

You're the only person around here who is big-noting yourself with facts and then made a complete fool of yourself. I don't claim to be a science expert. I can freely admit I was ignorant and confused by Essendon fans saying this wasn't a PED. So I did a quick google search, read a few things about AOD9604 and posted it here. Not sure what your deal is.

My message is a simple one: Don't believe this Essendon BULLSHIT that this "anti-obesity" peptide is not a performance enhancing drug. It replicates the muscle-adding benefits of human growth hormone.

I did read somewhere that someone suggested Trengrove had been administered with this peptide
in the form of a cream. Not sure if this claim is true. It could be. It might also be untrue. I know he didn't have the same course of injections the Essendon captain had.

Regardless, It doesn't matter how many other players also used AOD9604.

The point is Watson has admitted to being injected with a PERFORMANCE-ENHANCING DRUG in 2012
yipes, bold capitals.
you win.

Essendon supporters are getting desperate resulting in what can be described as petty name calling at best

To enhance this thread Anoncomment strikes me as someone with the relevant education to explain to us non experts what this peptide is and why it is performance enhancing

It's really tough to tell. It has properties that suggest it might be, but the evidence simply doesn't exist to make any definitive claims. AOD9604 was designed as a modified fragment of growth hormone. The original intention was to create a drug that has the effect on adipose (fat) cells of growth hormone, without the other effects. This sort of drug development is littered with failures, because replicating a sequence of amino acids is not the same as replicating a protein and its effects. It's not just the chemical composition of a protein that determines how it interacts with other molecules (especially endocrine receptors, like those that growth hormone acts on), but also how that protein folds. There's only really one way to tell what your compound actually does, and that's to try it out.

The evidence so far suggests that there may be some effect on cartilage and bone densities, and it is correlated with weight loss. I understand that there is no evidence to suggest that it stimulates the release of IGF-1, which is the mechanism via which growth hormone gets most of its purported performance enhancing effects (i.e. muscle bulk). Whilst this is a decent list of things to test if one is considering AOD9604 as simply a variant of growth hormone, it is by no means exhaustive of all the mechanisms via which a drug can enhance athletic performance. The evidence thus far suggests that AOD9604 could be performance enhancing, but there is nothing I would hang my hat on. That is why I maintain that Dank is more sorcerer than scientist.

Ultimately, it needs to be trialled in athletes. But that would never happen. As a substance with no therapeutic use, there is no need to ever test it to determine its effect on athletic performance. You don't need the same standard of evidence for drugs like EPO (synthetic replicas of hormones), where the primary biological effect studied in clinical trials of non-athletes is clearly and blatantly performance enhancing. With something like AOD9604, the waters are much murkier with respect to athletic performance.

Lol... you start a fact thread, make an idiot of your self then commit the ultimate surrender by resorting to the oldest back track the internet has... grammar correction... the reason the EFC has any argument is because of people like you who have no clue what they are cutting and pasting...

This is cutting edge science and i freely admit is a PE...you could argue whey, bcaa or even intermittent fasting does the same thing, just not as refined hence the argument and confusion is that the substance is grey because the peptide stimulates natural GH which not even wada or asada know how to pidgeon hole it....its mostly unclassified...this is why we will be just fine... are you starting to see the glaring holes in your facts yet?

Lol... you start a fact thread, make an idiot of your self then commit the ultimate surrender by resorting to the oldest back track the internet has... grammar correction... the reason the EFC has any argument is because of people like you who have no clue what they are cutting and pasting...

This is cutting edge science and i freely admit is a PE...you could argue whey, bcaa or even intermittent fasting does the same thing, just not as refined hence the argument and confusion is that the substance is grey because the peptide stimulates natural GH which not even wada or asada know how to pidgeon hole it....its mostly unclassified...this is why we will be just fine... are you starting to see the glaring holes in your facts yet?

Yes, I'm learning a lot. :oops::thumbsu:

Wow you are really thick arnt you... ok lets call it a drug if it floats your boat... if you bothered to actually understand how it works you would probably have an enlightning moment as to why itssuch a debatable comment... its a peptide a very complex string that stimulates the p gland... the p gland that creates GH stimulation from our own body... it has nothing to do with being a varient of gh like YOUR FACTS state... this is why its under SO and arguable as a PED... do you even know what an amino acid chain is...? Obviously not...

Actually, it's under S0 because it is not approved for human use by any regulating authority anywhere. The S2 category is the one relating to mimicking effects of other compounds or GH. But you were right, the OP is fundamentally incorrect. The real reasons that Dank chose this compound to administer to Essendon players is still a mystery but we can be certain it wasn't paid for or administered for the fun of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't be misled: AOD9604 is definitely a performance-enhancing drug

Remove this Banner Ad

Back