dose any 1 else want rocca to play against the saints because i sure do

Remove this Banner Ad

rocca must play! as stated before me, his presence is invaluble and the way that collingwood were hoisting it into the forward line yesterday we could do with rocca to throw his weight round and try take some grabs... which he will (you try moving him). I think the obvious out is dick. he hasnt shown enought to warrant him a finals spot, and i dont think he will thrive on the against the bigger bodied saints (who are likely to push him aside). I just think that some of our boys will walk taller knowing that rocca is on the park with them, in particular cloke and anthony who will have less pressure on them and most likely a 2nd/3rd string defender. your thoughts?

Let's look at what we already know-when Lake, Scarlett, Hugdton play on Jack ,he is impotent. Rocca is an unknown. He is a much better contested mark when playing on the best defender and he provides a presence Cloke and Jack will never possess. Fraser has been insipid when floating around the forward line. The only way he takes a mark is when someone passes a little dinky chip to him when he has found some space.

Another undeniable factor is that the players love Rocca and to a man say they think we are a better side when he's in the goalsquare. Players are not stupid. They don't want to see a dud in front of them.

Rocca in. Please.

Let's look at what we already know-when Lake, Scarlett, Hugdton play on Jack ,he is impotent. Rocca is an unknown. He is a much better contested mark when playing on the best defender and he provides a presence Cloke and Jack will never possess. Fraser has been insipid when floating around the forward line. The only way he takes a mark is when someone passes a little dinky chip to him when he has found some space.

Another undeniable factor is that the players love Rocca and to a man say they think we are a better side when he's in the goalsquare. Players are not stupid. They don't want to see a dud in front of them.

Rocca in. Please.

This :thumbsu:

yeah why not...he has finals experience, can take contested marks or at least crash the packs, he's a big physical presence that kicks the long bombs that do change games & he would be as hungry, committed & as keen as to do everything in his power to finaly stand up on the podium on that one day in September!

Geez it's a hard call on this one! I did not personally see him play in the VFL, and I have to respect the judgement of those who watched him last Saturday. So I am going to say no to Rocca, though on other threads earlier I have backed his selection.

Cloke needs to play closer to goal. We need a second tall. I think Leigh Brown should play CHF, with Reid also coming in to play on Riewoldt.

Fraser does not have the physical presence to play up the spine, but Anthony should not have to play at FF on the best defender.

My heart says Rocca. My head says Leigh Brown.

Leigh Brown can pinch hit in a number of positions but he will never be the pack marking, bomb thumping player we have in Rocca (even an older, slower Rocca). Playing Cloke closer to goal will not result in contested grabs inside 50 and Cloke's conversion from close in is appalling. We al know the crowd will be in a frenzy for Pebbles if he plays-he creates excitement in the crowd and in his teammates. It is a risk but it is one well worth taking. Contrary to what one coach supposedly said and what most opposition fans say, I still believe Rocca causes a ripple of fear in the guts of opposition players and supporters. The expression "They doth protest too loudly" comes to mind.

rocca must play! as stated before me, his presence is invaluable and the way that collingwood were hoisting it into the forward line yesterday we could do with rocca to throw his weight round and try take some grabs... which he will (you try moving him). I think the obvious out is dick. he hasnt shown enough to warrant him a finals spot, and i dont think he will thrive on the against the bigger bodied saints (who are likely to push him aside). I just think that some of our boys will walk taller knowing that rocca is on the park with them, in particular cloke and anthony who will have less pressure on them and most likely a 2nd/3rd string defender. your thoughts?

Rocca's inability to defend would be a liability for the Pies in any of the finals series. Rocca's tank has always been questionable, especially in the 2nd half of the match. If Rocca's opponent signed a contract not to leave the goal square then I would be the first to select him. However a loose and running defender for the Saints (care of rocca's tank) would be too detrimental over the course of a match.
Dick is likely to be dropped and I think Dawes will come into the side, he is the big man to stretch the defense of StKilda, also his running gets stronger and stronger throughout the game - a definite 4 quarter player capable of kicking a couple goals per match.

It's such a big risk to bring him in now.

I don't think we should bring him in but if he does just sit him in the square.
I'd just like to know the riskless way of playing the 20-2 Saints?
It's a risk either way - but I doubt Rocca will lessen our forward line even if he has a quiet one - Saints will find Anthony and Travis too easy to control but rocca will worry them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My main concern with Rocca - the Saints decide to take their chances for covering the inside 50's and put a running back on him. In that scenario we would be completely smashed on the rebounds. Are teams going to fall for the circa 08 Geelong decoy routine again?

My main concern with Rocca - the Saints decide to take their chances for covering the inside 50's and put a running back on him. In that scenario we would be completely smashed on the rebounds. Are teams going to fall for the circa 08 Geelong decoy routine again?
Lake and Hargrave completely smashed us on the rebounds last week and rocca didnt play

It seems everywere i look and everyone i talk to is on the Pebs case. MM seriously will not shut up about him in the last few days. Its either a massive mind games against the saints to make them think he is going to come in or he is going to come in. If hes in ill swap my members ticket for anyone sitting behind the goals as i love trying to catch a footy every 2 minutes in at least 2 quaters of a game. Ill read the paper in the other 2 quarters as i hope no footys will be sailing through the goals.

Hargrave smashed us in the chip chip chip area. I didn't rate his rebound that highly.

Lake was quality again though.
Still the bulldogs smashed us with rebound, without rocca

Hawthorn earlier this year also did the same.

Periods of the adelaide match no rocca and the crows still rebounded well

Basically its going to happen at times anyway, and if we play rocca it frees up anthony and gives us the chance that he will kick a couple himself (yes im aware 6 goals isnt alot but 30 odd shots at goal is)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back