dose any 1 else want rocca to play against the saints because i sure do

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched him closely yesterday. He did pretty well considering it was a day for ducks. Still managed distance with his kicking. The conditions were a lot worse that they looked on TV.

Question, who is 27 in the 2's, he injured leg and was on crutches?

Yep. The saints don't go small when they play the dogs, and their record is good against them.
Geelong the same

It also didnt help that we barely ever had Trav/anthony and a resting ruck all forward at once. For most of the day it was 1 of them and thats it, confusing shit

We needed him tonight... But i think it's too late now, don't bring him in for the finals without playing the last one or two games of the h&a season.

Geelong the same

It also didnt help that we barely ever had Trav/anthony and a resting ruck all forward at once. For most of the day it was 1 of them and thats it, confusing shit

Malthouse is a shifty bugger mate. He would've played his cards close to his chest today.

Question, who is 27 in the 2's, he injured leg and was on crutches?
Jarrad Blight, future gun. I hope it's not serious, whatever the injury was. :(

Malthouse is a shifty bugger mate. He would've played his cards close to his chest today.
yeah thats what i was thinking

Our kick outs horrid too, there were lots of little things we just did badly or plainly didnt do today

Our kick outs horrid too, there were lots of little things we just did badly or plainly didnt do today

Yeah, what the hell was Goldsack doing taking some of them? He played a good game, but kickouts are definitely not his go.

And no to Rocca, anyone who saw the footage they showed of him in the 2's would agree I think.

yeah thats what i was thinking

Our defenders played the dome atrociously. We played 2 loose men in defence also.

If they have any pride, which they do, they will know how bad they were and will all band together next week and make up for it.

Yeah, what the hell was Goldsack doing taking some of them? He played a good game, but kickouts are definitely not his go.
and his were not even the worse

Handpassing to stationary player from a kick out WTF!!!!!!???????

It reminded me of round 22 2002, we played 10 minutes in the second and got ahead of the dogs and that was it that day. We even had davis play across Half back that day, we havent seen that again until this year

Rocca can't play next week, for the simple reason he is not in our best 25 anymore, let alone our best 22.

Stkilda build a lot of their scores from inside or around opposition 50, and Rocca can not put any pressure on.

We can not have Wood, Fraser, Anthony, Cloke and Rocca in the same side.

I know most of you dont like it, but Leigh Brown is the answer, and Nathan Brown is the next in line, so Rocca is well out of reckoning for next week.

We have to bring in Marty Clarke, Pendles and Leigh Brown next week, hard to find 4 outs to fit Rocca in.
Did anyone think that Brian Taylor was in our best 22 in 1990. He only played a few games that year and he was the savior who was only needed for that one final against Wcoast.

If Anthony Rocca can provide the crucial goals that BT provided in 1990 than it will be a pass for me, even if its his one and only game that he plays.

And the player that should make way for him is Travis Cloke, because if Pebbles has a shocker, but kicks the two goals that is expected from him, it will at least be better than Cloke missing 4 shots at goal which believe me is a big possibility, plus Rocca can still demand the number one backmen.

If rocca has a shocker he won't get near it, not only kick 2. Maybe in fantasy land that's the case but reality suggests if he has a shocker he will be reamed. His accuracy has only been poor almost 30 shots for 6 goals is alot worse the cloke.

On cloke he wasn't that bad a couple of time he had his opponent cold only for the kick to him go over his head or bounce in front of him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone think that Brian Taylor was in our best 22 in 1990. He only played a few games that year and he was the savior who was only needed for that one final against Wcoast.

If Anthony Rocca can provide the crucial goals that BT provided in 1990 than it will be a pass for me, even if its his one and only game that he plays.

And the player that should make way for him is Travis Cloke, because if Pebbles has a shocker, but kicks the two goals that is expected from him, it will at least be better than Cloke missing 4 shots at goal which believe me is a big possibility, plus Rocca can still demand the number one backmen.

More than being a savior, Brian Taylor almost cost us the premiership in 1990. In the first quarter of the drawn final we were killing the eagles, but the"let's kick the ball to Taylor' syndrome cost us several goals. Yes, he came back on in the last quarter and did very well but I was not surprised in the least that LM dropped him for the replay.

I happenend to have a long chat with LM during the 1990 season at one of Peter Daicos's pubs and he was very willing to give his opinions on all matters football. "Do you think we kick the ball far too much to Brian Taylor?", was my first question. "I don't think it, I know it!!!", Leigh thundered back.

I am sure if you met MM under similar circumstances and he was as open and forthright as LM was on that night he would say "No way, Anthony Rocca won't play AFL again".

In 1990, we pulled a rabbit out of a hat by playing Gavin Brown at full forward. Wouldn't it be ironic if another Brown( ie. Nathan) came in to the side and played KF next week with great success.

True that - I wouldn't be reading much into yesterday's game at all. A few times, when I was screaming for them to kick it out of the back-half rather than this handball nonsense, it looked like they were trying to get a feel for the 'handball and play-on at all costs' strategy. MM has 'experimented' so often in the past I can't help but think he used yesterday to try and get some run into a Plan B or Plan C or at least see what the boys could do under a different game plan or out of position. After all, I don't think I have ever seen Leon one-out in the F50 - ever!

if rocca comes in leigh brown cant come in will have to many talls i think we were playing better when fraser wasent in the team drop him bring in leigh brown.

To break it down plan and simple what we lose from having Rocca in. Is a massive amount of run and defensive pressure. Almost all fowards this year have been found at different points adding frontal pressure from the flanks and wings deffensively. Rocca doesn't have the fitness to do this for a whole game.

IMO our ball movement didn't give our fowards a great deal of a chance yesterday. To select Rocca is hence a selection in case we play bad football and need to bomb it long. In reality we need to be selecting a side that will get the ball to Cloke, Anthony and Medhurst quicker.

My worry would be that if Rocca did play with what Mick would call a 'horses for courses' policy, and he did just okay, Mick would be tempted to play him the following week.

Do this Mick. Name him as an emergency, tell him that he will be a 'false' late inclusion and get him to pull up 'proppy' in the warm up. Screw with the opposing coaches match-ups :p

If Rocca was to play it was yesterday.

Rocca definately in.

Cant be any worse than the games of Dick, McCarthy, Beams, Wood or Fraser yesterday.

Will Minson beat both Wood and Fraser yesterday - bloody joke. Gardiner and King will smash us next week so might aswell try outgun them somewhere else like at FF with Rocca!

Having Dick, McCarthy, Beams and Wellingham all in the same team is just stupid. Way too many young inexperienced players in the team at the one time.

If find it hard to fit him in.

However, it may be possible to use him in a game plan to beat St Kilda. The last 3 games played against the Saints have exposed them. Fast, effective ball movement forward has caught them out. Defenders used to having lots of cover and pressured ball coming down to their forwards suddenly find that they need to go one on one.

All year sides have tried to possess the footy against the Saints, which plays straight into their hands. They fall back in their zones then apply massive pressure against the kicker, who turns it over and they flood forward in large numbers almost unopposed, kicking to 2 of the best big forwards and an excellent crumber. Hard to beat.

3 clubs who have done well are all lower on the ladder & had the freedom to play higher risk football. The Bombers it was more a style they were used to but the Dees & Kangas changed their style. Once the ball won move it fast & forward quick - not sideways for cheap possessions.

With Rocca forward and lots of long quick delivery it would stress the Saints defenders in a big way. Unless we change our game plan to this Rocca is not required.

Anthony Rocca is still in contention despite having played just three AFL matches in a season wrecked by injury, but has worked his way back to fitness with a solid month in Collingwood's in-form reserves.
Malthouse has flagged changes will be contemplated following the Pies' 24-point loss to the Western Bulldogs at the weekend, and admitted the 32-year-old Rocca was in the frame.

• MICK Malthouse says he will consider changes for his side's finals opener against St Kilda on Sunday.
Anthony Rocca is still in contention despite having played just three AFL matches in a season wrecked by injury, but has worked his way back to fitness with a solid month in Collingwood's in-form reserves.
Malthouse has flagged changes will be contemplated following the Pies' 24-point loss to the Western Bulldogs at the weekend, and admitted the 32-year-old Rocca was in the frame.
"If it means someone being plucked who may not have played the last five or 10 games, and we think they may be crucial to our opportunity for success, we'll pick that player," Malthouse said.
"We now have 30 players to pick from, and that will take place - I can categorically tell you.
Related Links

"Anthony's going to be in the mix. He performed on a wet track on a big ground down at Geelong,(last weekend), he had five or six shots on goal.
"We've got to make some pretty tough decisions, and we're in a position to do that."
Malthouse admitted onballer Scott Pendlebury was no certainty to play after a back spasm forced his late withdrawal from the team which played the Bulldogs.
The Magpies' coach reiterated the overall poor performance of his team.
"I’ve spoken to my assistants … and we still can’t find out best player. I wish there were many of them so we couldn’t choose, but no we couldn’t because I didn’t think of them played consistently enough through the game to warrant a 'best for Collingwood' tag," he said.
"Alan Didak was one of many that the choice of deliver was quite frankly bizarre."

It is only out of respect that MM has not ruled him out of calculations.

Obviously there will be changes this week or "contemplated".

Pendles is to return. Ditto one of Nathan or Leroy Brown. Probably both or one of Clarke/Sidebottom too.

Reading too much into it. Rocca was not great at VFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

dose any 1 else want rocca to play against the saints because i sure do

Remove this Banner Ad

Back