Doughty NOT contemplating retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally, I'd rather his position be given to Petrenko from a list management point of view.
Position in the side yes, but not position on the list. If Doughty plays on, he goes on the veterans list - effectively an extra player for nothing. Really if his form is good for the remainder of the season and he suffers no major injuries, there's nothing to gain by delisting him. Might as well keep him as a depth player.

EDIT: The Torney/Bode/Massie rule isn't likely to apply here because of the number of obvious retirements and delistings.

Not sure this will be too much of an issue, its time we moved on from these older guys anyway. They've had plenty of chance in the Ayres and early Craig years, time to give the ownership of the side to the newer breed of players. Similar to what we did in 97, it might be a bit of a breath of fresh air that pushes us to greater heights.
Not an issue for me either, just surprising going from a team full of 30 year olds to having none.

What's after Stevo....Stiff wang and Thomo?

It's interesting the way he's worded his responses, particularly this bit:

It's as if he's been told that he needs to improve significantly if he is to be given another contract. Then again, he's looked down the barrel of the gun several times and managed to survive.

He won't be subjected to the Torney precedent. If he's retained he'll probably be our only player aged 29+, hardly a reason for concern - unlike the period when the Torney rule was in effect. If he's good enough in the 2nd half the year, then he'll get a new contract. If he's not, he'll be delisted. That's the law of the jungle in the AFL.

Given that wording, I'd say there's a 70-80% chance of delisting at the end of the season.

I actually read it differently. I thought he meant that if his form holds, he will get another contract.
I don't believe his form has been as bad as some posters here make it out to be.
The one objection a hear here all the time is 'he hand passes backward all the time'.
Is that really true? What is his disposal efficiency? How many Goals are scored on him?

I actually read it differently. I thought he meant that if his form holds, he will get another contract.
I don't believe his form has been as bad as some posters here make it out to be.
The one objection a hear here all the time is 'he hand passes backward all the time'.
Is that really true? What is his disposal efficiency? How many Goals are scored on him?

this is how I read it too, I almost fell off my chair, Dogga has been consistent, consistently BAD

IMO if we give Dogga another year this would be a clear sign of not learning from your mistakes. The game is passing Dogga by very quickly and he is one of the main serial offenders who is responsible for executing our slow and safe style of footy when the game is there to be won

Anybody else think Stevo should be under the gun before Doughty?

I know I've said it before, but I genuinely think Stevens has been 'damaged' by the concussions he's received; he quite often looks half a second slower than anybody else on the field.

Plus, we have a relative abundance of his type of player.

Yeah, Stevo's a tough one, mixes the really good (goal saving contested grabs in defence) with the horrendous(stupid, blatant free kicks that just make you wonder "why?"). Is his good, good enough to ignore the bad, the more I think about it, the more I don't think it is good enough.

James, Davis should be at Stevens level by the end of the season, and over-take it pretty rapidly next year. 2011 Season, Davis could do the swing-man role better than Stevens is.

Plus, SMcK could do that role, Sellar could do that role, Moran could do it (not as well as the first two mentioned), then throw Talia into the mix, Gunston etc.

Stevens has been a good servant and has done extremely well to have the career he has, but I believe we have better options than him, and that's not taking into account that he does almost seem 'punch-drunk' this year...

James, Davis should be at Stevens level by the end of the season, and over-take it pretty rapidly next year. 2011 Season, Davis could do the swing-man role better than Stevens is.

Plus, SMcK could do that role, Sellar could do that role, Moran could do it (not as well as the first two mentioned), then throw Talia into the mix, Gunston etc.

Stevens has been a good servant and has done extremely well to have the career he has, but I believe we have better options than him, and that's not taking into account that he does almost seem 'punch-drunk' this year...

Only problem with that is, at this club or under Neil Craig coaching possession is 9/10ths of the law. As long as player like Doughty, Stevens, and co are fit and on the list, they will get a game over the future because they should have been dropped long before now.

Only problem with that is, at this club or under Neil Craig coaching possession is 9/10ths of the law. As long as player like Doughty, Stevens, and co are fit and on the list, they will get a game over the future because they should have been dropped long before now.

Nah, that's bullshit.

Stevens and Doughty, until this year, have been in the side because they earnt it, and we were challenging for top 4, so needed to play our best side.

Nah, that's bullshit.

Stevens and Doughty, until this year, have been in the side because they earnt it, and we were challenging for top 4, so needed to play our best side.

And they have had good players around them who have made them look a lot better than they actually are.

Shit player in a good team, look 1000 time better with good players around them. However as soon as the good player leave or form drops off, they return to that average player because they cannot pick up that slack needed.

Reading it again, I think you're probably right.

Personally, I would have no objection to Doughty being given a 12-month contract based on his current form. If it comes down to a choice between Doughty and Stevens, I wouldn't have to think twice - I'd go with Doughty every time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about the season rating as 4/10?! That suggests we almost passed.

Even on results alone we are only 2.5/10. And that is flattering.

Someone needs to tell our club to stop kidding itself.

Put the rifle to the whole lot over 27 years of age and lets start again.

I can't see how people rate Doughty's games this year, hes had a few terrible games defensively, and there's no positives out of his offensive game. Get rid of Stevens, Doughty, Burton, keep Mcleod, start over. We cant persist with list cloggers, were not challenging for a while, whats the point. I'd include Symes after his display but it was his first game for the year, and as long as hes not playing in the backline again then he should be ok.

I don't get why we play Doughty, VB and now Symes in defense when we have Petrenko, and Armstrong, both natural defenders (armstrong more of an attacking role). I'd rather get flogged every week as long as we are progressing forward and trying hard rather not persisting with the frontrunning Stevens Doughty who aren't getting us anywhere and are stinking it up.

Can't disagree with any of that, in fact, at the end of last year, I was questioning whether it wouldn't be a bad idea to see if we couldn't trade off Stevens, due to the fact that I think he's very quickly going to become redundant.

Title should also read "Doughty NOT contemplating forward disposal"

That's just taken as a given mate, he hasn't passed forward in about 10 years, I doubt that's going to change in a hurry:D

unfortunately I do not believe Macca's body can cash the cheques any more :(

Yes. Why do so many assume he'll be going on next year? He's been more than serviceable this year, but if (and it's quite an 'if' IMO) the latest knee cleanout goes according to the club's optimistic predictions, how long until the next one? Last year he couldn't go a whole season, this year he hasn't managed half. And then there's the book coming out. I'd be very surprised if he goes round again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back