Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

0 chance we get any picks this year.

The days of handouts are done, we need to nail our picks, grow our development and dig ourselves out of this hole.

We won't get any more assistance as I think that was the final package. It's on us to split 1st and/or 2nd round picks or trade players that might have interest to generate the extra picks/players.
Absolutely, no chance of any more picks coming to Arden Street. Twomey did an interesting comparison on Gettable - assuming WCE stay bottom on (say) 3 wins, their win-loss will be a bit worse than ours over 4 years, the big difference being of course they won it in 2018.

If there's any assistance, it will be headed to Perth

Absolutely, no chance of any more picks coming to Arden Street. Twomey did an interesting comparison on Gettable - assuming WCE stay bottom on (say) 3 wins, their win-loss will be a bit worse than ours over 4 years, the big difference being of course they won it in 2018.

They won 10 games in 2021 3 years ago so that can’t be true unless they stay bottom next year also

Since 2021 eagles have won 15 games

We have won 9

And in 2020 they made finals we were second last

They are at least 2 years away from being able to get anything

It will be interesting to see if the AFL uses the assistance to us as the precedent for what West Coast gets this year, ie round 2 and round 3 picks that must be traded, then come back next year if you still need help. Or will they look at how that hasn't done much for us and just turn back the clock and give West Coast the #1 pick as PP?

We are at 12 wins over 4 and a bit years and have still never received a start of first round priority pick

Eagles won 10 games in 1 year 3 years ago as comparison

And have 27 wins over 4 and a bit years, 15 more than us

I don’t think people realise the case we can make as we break unwanted records
Yes we could make one hell of a case for a lot more assistance but you not taking into account that the AFL have already given us assistance for 2024 - they gave us 2 years worth of assistance in '23 and allowed us to choose how we spent it. We decided (correctly) to spend it all last year.

We can't go back for more assistance after spending the 2024 assistance in 2023 - we would be laughed out of court (irrespective of whether we deserve more or not).

As for start of first round priority picks - they are done for everyone except expansion clubs. If you are waiting for that you will be waiting a very long time.

It will be interesting to see if the AFL uses the assistance to us as the precedent for what West Coast gets this year, ie round 2 and round 3 picks that must be traded, then come back next year if you still need help. Or will they look at how that hasn't done much for us and just turn back the clock and give West Coast the #1 pick as PP?
It will depend who is sitting 17th……if it’s us it will 100% be the last option.

I am personally disgusted by the current narrative in the media “that west coast deserves a priority pick(s)” - although I am not one bit surprised. This narrative / educational indoctrination also annoyingly trickles down to the public and for example in my personal circles, my group of mates “the boys”.

The amount of arguments I had with the boys the last few years with myself providing the case for Norths assistance package vs their argument that we didn’t deserve anything, I’ve lost count.

The typical basic, uneducated response was “its your own fault due to your own poor list management” but I would politely respond letting them know that’s how every single priority pick has ever come about, hasn’t it? I always provided sound relevant data/precedents set with examples being more recently the GC packages which not only included high end picks, but priority access to a zone that crossed a whole state and territory to way back when in the early 2000’s when players like Ryan Griffin was gifted to the dogs with a high end pick and all the win/loss ratios and seasons worth of data you could poke a stick at.

Whatever information I could provide anyone that raised this topic to me, was never good enough. Now these same people, media, general public and more annoyingly, the boys are advocating for the Eagles to get some assistance. If it was to rub me up the wrong way and get a rise out of me for a laugh, I could understand it but the greater footballing public hypocritically, genuinely thinks for whatever reason that the Eagles are actually deserving, it’s astounding.

This is a club who won a flag five ago, participated in finals three years ago and finished 9th two years ago.

Sure if they continue their current trend for another two seasons on top of 2024, yeah I’m happy to mount a case for them, and I’m happy for the AFL to provide them with an end of second round pick and third round pick that they can trade to a club on the east coast for a Caleb Marchbank and a Mathew Owies, to help out their list profile with some mature bodies but until then, if you have half a brain cell, surely that is when and only when the conversation begins?

I would have spat my coffee out if I sat down and saw on social media the last few years that Footy Clacified were advocating for North to get some help like they were the other evening for WC.

WTF is going on? 🤯

Last edited:
I am personally disgusted by the current narrative in the media “that west coast deserves a priority pick(s)” - although I am not one bit surprised. This narrative / educational indoctrination also annoyingly trickles down to the public and for example in my personal circles, my group of mates “the boys”.

The amount of arguments I had with the boys the last few years with myself providing the case for Norths assistance package vs their argument that we didn’t deserve anything, I’ve lost count.

The typical basic, uneducated response was “its your own fault due to your own poor list management” but I would politely respond letting them know that’s how every single priority pick has ever come about, hasn’t it? I always provided sound relevant data/precedents set with examples being more recently the GC packages which not only included high end picks, but priority access to a zone that crossed a whole state and territory to way back when in the early 2000’s when players like Ryan Griffin was gifted to the dogs with a high end pick and all the win/loss ratios and seasons worth of data you could poke a stick at.

Whatever information I could provide anyone that raised this topic to me, was never good enough. Now these same people, media, general public and more annoyingly, the boys are advocating for the Eagles to get some assistance. If it was to rub me up the wrong way and get a rise out of me for a laugh, I could understand it but the greater footballing public hypocritically, genuinely thinks for whatever reason that the Eagles are actually deserving, it’s astounding.

This is a club who won a flag five ago, participated in finals three years ago and finished 9th two years ago.

Sure if they continue their current trend for another two seasons on top of 2024, yeah I’m happy to mount a case for them, and I’m happy for the AFL to provide them with an end of second round pick and third round pick that they can trade to a club on the east coast for a Caleb Marchbank and a Mathew Owies, to help out their list profile with some mature bodies but until then, if you have half a brain cell, surely that is when and only when the conversation begins?

I would have spat my coffee out if I sat down and saw on social media the last few years that Footy Clacified were advocating for North to get some help like they were the other evening for WC.

WTF is going on? 🤯
What's completely lost in the push for WCE to get assistance - is the coaching situation.

Are the players really that bad or has the coach lost them?

Virtually no analysis on that front.

WTF is going on? 🤯
People are branewashed morans.

Landsberger made me laugh as well during that discussion. Apparently the Blues "didn't get any priority picks the last 20 years".

Andrew Walker (Pick 2 2003)
Marc Murphy (Pick 1 2005)
Shaun Hampson (Pick 17 2006)
Matthew Kreuzer (Pick 1 2007)
They got knocked back by the commission in 2018 but were allowed state league players along with GC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Landsberger made me laugh as well during that discussion. Apparently the Blues "didn't get any priority picks the last 20 years".

Andrew Walker (Pick 2 2003)
Marc Murphy (Pick 1 2005)
Shaun Hampson (Pick 17 2006)
Matthew Kreuzer (Pick 1 2007)
They got knocked back by the commission in 2018 but were allowed state league players along with GC.
Its unbelievable any of thee clowns have jobs.......literally no one needs to qualify what they say, it just doesn't matter.

It'll be interesting to see if West Coke swallow their pride and apply for assistance at the end of this season. I think it is highly unlikely that they will win more than 3 games this year, which will likely mean that they will finish last or equal last. That would make their record over the last three years equal to ours (3 x last or equal last if you ignore percentages) when we got that massive first assistance package of a 2nd and 3rd rounder that we had to trade.

As others have already pointed out, West Coke won the flag in 2018 and followed that up by only missing out of a top 4 finish on percentages in both 2019 and 2020 before finishing a game out of finals qualification in 9th place in 2021. North by comparison hadn't played finals since 2016 (8th). Whilst that should count against West Coke receiving assistance this soon, the looming Tassie Devils entry will be a mitigating factor because the AFL won't want any basket cases that will be doomed to spend an even longer period in the cellar because the draft will soon be hugely compromised to accommodate Tassie. That might also be the catalyst/excuse for the AFL to give them more than they gave us. If that is the case I hope North has the balls to lodge a protest based on blatant unequal treatment. My hope is that the AFL won't consider providing any assistance to them until the 2025 draft, but nothing would surprise me.

Our assistance is over and done with. We've already used our 2024 assistance package and we won't get anymore, no matter how poorly we do in the next two years. It'll be interesting to see how long the AFL allows us to keep our additional list spots. If they are reduced back to stock standard numbers, we will likely draft fewer players in 2024. With that in mind perhaps we should look into trading picks with Carlton for either their first or second round pick to help them build up draft points for the Camporeale twins.

It'll be interesting to see if West Coke swallow their pride and apply for assistance at the end of this season. I think it is highly unlikely that they will win more than 3 games this year, which will likely mean that they will finish last or equal last. That would make their record over the last three years equal to ours (3 x last or equal last if you ignore percentages) when we got that massive first assistance package of a 2nd and 3rd rounder that we had to trade.

As others have already pointed out, West Coke won the flag in 2018 and followed that up by only missing out of a top 4 finish on percentages in both 2019 and 2020 before finishing a game out of finals qualification in 9th place in 2021. North by comparison hadn't played finals since 2016 (8th). Whilst that should count against West Coke receiving assistance this soon, the looming Tassie Devils entry will be a mitigating factor because the AFL won't want any basket cases that will be doomed to spend an even longer period in the cellar because the draft will soon be hugely compromised to accommodate Tassie. That might also be the catalyst/excuse for the AFL to give them more than they gave us. If that is the case I hope North has the balls to lodge a protest based on blatant unequal treatment. My hope is that the AFL won't consider providing any assistance to them until the 2025 draft, but nothing would surprise me.

Our assistance is over and done with. We've already used our 2024 assistance package and we won't get anymore, no matter how poorly we do in the next two years. It'll be interesting to see how long the AFL allows us to keep our additional list spots. If they are reduced back to stock standard numbers, we will likely draft fewer players in 2024. With that in mind perhaps we should look into trading picks with Carlton for either their first or second round pick to help them build up draft points for the Camporeale twins.
I think assuming WC get the same treatment as us is naive.....WC being powerful is FAR more important than us. It's all about eyeballs on the games. Them getting trounced every weekend on TV in Perth doesn't add up financially, CorruptFL want them back competitive ASAP. WC winning is even better for the bottom line. Got nothing to do with fairness or evenness of the competition.

Will be interesting, we have a percentage of 59%.
Have won 12 of our last 88 games, 12!
Had the number one draft pick walk out the door, for unders, but we had no choice.
had Magoo another first round pick walk out the door.
Thomas another top ten choice, get walked out the door. He will end up elsewhere.
So not sure, but the easy answer is 'no'.
And we could lose another top player in Zurhaar, yeah he is, but some don't won't to see it.
And no way the Eagle get a pick the compromises our first, won't happen
Time will tell.

Had the number one draft pick walk out the door, for unders, but we had no choice.
Thomas another top ten choice, get walked out the door. He will end up elsewhere.
And we could lose another top player in Zurhaar, yeah he is, but some don't won't to see it.
Time will tell.
Just let us and the eagles do a mini draft for next year kids, so we can pick up that Williem kid a year early, we’re going to there abouts next year anyway.

Time will tell.

We'll get a good pick that we have to trade and trade it for a Dylan Stephens/Darcy Tucker type and give him a 5 year deal.

Stuff this club.

Last edited:
We can’t keep building from the draft because the AFL places a caveat on the picks, which diminishes their value when forced to trade.
Yes the AFL are pieces of shit but eventually we need to start nailing some trades and free agency pick ups.

Otherwise we’ll be stuck down here forever.

No more picks for you!
Seinfeld Soup GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back