Preview Draft Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that we know our picks I thought it would be worthwhile taking a look at the players who could be available at our picks. To do this I am using the mock drafts of Chris 25 & Knightmare and taking the 5 players either side of our actual picks to give everyone a wide idea of who is likely to be around. To give us a bit more to discuss I'm going to use picks 15, 26, 55 & 73, although I don't expect us to use the last 2 picks at this stage.

To start off here are the 10 players that should be in contention for pick 15 :

1. Devon Smith (ranked 10 by Knightmare 16 by Chris 25)
Height: 175cm Weight: 73kg DOB: 20/5/1993

Highlights:http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=124591

Knightmare says:
Not tall, but a big ball winner who works hard around the ground. If you play him up forward he will give you the tackling effort you look for in a small forward. Dominant at U18 level. Leader. Has as good burst of speed and he has great endurance allowing him to pick up big numbers regularly. Strong overhead for size. Hard to see him having the same impact at the next level against bigger, more disciplined opposition because at U18 level he seems to get by because he works harder than everyone else. But still has the opportunity to have a solid AFL career whether that be as a forward or later on through the midfield.

Chris25 says:
Underrated player on this board, no doubt because of his size. I've been guilty in the past of focusing too much on height as well, but sub-180cm players have been doing quite well lately. And Smith has shown the ability to not only rack up possessions in the middle, but also kick a bag up forward. That versatility coupled with his work rate should see him play a key role in any team.

2. Jackson Paine (ranked 11 by Knightmare ranked 22 by Chris25)
Height: 193cm Weight: 87kg DOB: 21/6/1993

Highlights: http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=120136

Knightmare says:
Really like Paine as a forward. Particularly strong mark on the lead but also marks strongly overhead. Marks at the highest point which is what you look for in all good forwards. Really hard working type who seems to enjoy the contest. Good work rate. Can push into the midfield and play really well in there as well as up forward. Good field kick for someone his size.

Chris25 says:
Paine is a Vic Metro forward, who showed some impressive signs in the Championships. Obviously Patton got the best defender, but Paine still took his opportunities. Not as consistent as he may have liked, as he tended to go in and out of games. But his leading and marking was strong, I imagine a few teams will like what they see with him and his potential as a tall forward. Not the FF Carlton fans may want, but a good CHF prospect.

3. Elliot Kavanagh (ranked 13 by Knightmare ranked 15 by Chris25)
Height: 187cm Weight: 78kg DOB: 19/5/1993

Highlights: None Available

Knightmare says:
Missed the champs with injury but still a standout talent in this years draft and could still be high draft choice. Good all rounder. Quick mid who is also a very good ball user and has those footy smarts and cleanness. Solid ball winner. Past performances suggest that he should be a top 10 selection. Has put his injury concerns past him and is ready to go for season 2012 on an AFL list. He might slide because of his injury concerns, but personally I’d take him early, just another of those players who will go into the draft with injury concerns and come out the other end as one of the best players.

Chris25 says:
Kavanagh missed a fair chunk of the year through injury, but has since returned from his hamstring injury in great fashion. When he first returned, all the hype in the media was about him rocketing up the order but that has since died down a bit. It seems like if someone was to slip a bit, it would be him. No matter though as he is the complete midfielder and deserves a top 15 spot - reading the play, clean hands, speed and foot skills.

4. Adam Tomilinson (ranked 13 by Knightmare ranked 27 by Chris25)
Height: 192cm Weight: 86kg DOB: 10/8/1993

Highlights: http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=120647

Knightmare says:
Versatile KPP who can play well down either end and even a bit through the midfield. Possibly a little undersized but hopefully he can grow a couple more cm. Didn’t stand out as much as I’d hoped he might and wasn’t super consistent during the champs. Against lesser opposition can provide good rebound from defence but can struggle against better opposition which would be my question on him. Is capable when down back of doing some good shut down roles against some very good forwards and keeping their impact down. Strong mark overhead. Ball use good for a taller type. Up forward doesn’t look out of place either. So there is that potential to play either end depending on needs.

Chris25 says:
Another tall defender, but like others in this draft he has shown more potential than consistent performances. This seems to be a trend amongst KPDs, so it's a matter of finding traits that you can work with. Tomlinson has shown the ability to rack up the ball, as well as play more defensive roles. He has also been in the state and AIS fold for a few years now.

5. Myles Bolger (ranked 14 by Knightmare ranked 25 by Chris25)
Height: 199cm Weight: 80kg DOB: 25/3/1993

Highlights: http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=123385

Knightmare says:
Fantastic tap ruckman, gives mids first use consistently and taps to advantage. Around the ground also very good. Strong mark overhead. Skill level very good for a ruckman. My main concerns are that he doesn’t really jump in the ruck and against bigger or more athletic opponents he might struggle. Not a super athlete and given current lack of size will need to bulk up all. Also has had injury concerns - foot. But 1st round quality ruckman. Give him time because he has essentially missed 2 years of footy.

Chris25 says:
Few options here for the Saints, and they could do just about anything. But with a real quality ruck prospect on the board, I think they should take him. I know the old joke is that ruckmen aren't smart, but Bolger is a smart player. He moves well and again is a very good tap ruckman, if not for injury he would be considered a strong chance for being a top 10 pick in my opinion.

6. Daniel Markworth (ranked 15 by Knightmare ranked 19 by Chris25)
Height: 189cm Weight: 78kg DOB: 3/4/1992

Knightmare says:
Overager with nice positional flexibility. High character. Very intelligent kid. Comes from a tennis and basketball background. Has played as leadup forward as well as a midfielder and brings really nice versatility. Very high level athlete with a super burst of speed. Not bad by foot and has a good 55m kick on him. Good ball user by both hand and foot. New to AFL but showing some big progress! Looks very draftable. Still learning the game. Project. But has made big progress in a very short space of time! Just keeps getting better with every game he plays and there seems to be allot of upside!

Chris25 says:
19 year old, bit of a late starter and definitely looking like he could be one of the years big bolters. His late rise is not overly surprising, given his speed and agility coupled with some clean disposal. Has played pretty much every position on the ground, just needs to now settle into one. At first, it might be as a forward but eventually he'll move into the midfield.

7. Toby Greene (ranked 16 by Knightmare ranked 31 by Chris25)
Height: 180cm Weight: 78kg DOB: 15/9/1993

Highlights: http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=123401

Knightmare says:
Like Tyson, Green has really improved his draft stocks with a very strong champs with some big games and has continued that form on nicely. Big time ball magnet. Wins allot of clearances and wins his fair share of contested ball. Shows strong attack on the ball. Particularly good by hand and makes good decisions more often than not. Not a super high level athlete but has a solid endurance base and very good agility.

Chris25 says:
One of the real impressive players in the Championships, and his performance in his final game definitely made people take notice. Greene is a good solid midfielder, and while he may not have the versatility that others do, his work in the midfield is deserving of a first round pick. I’ve never been as big on Greene as others, which is why I might have him a tad lower. But he’ll have an impact early.

8. Alex Forster (ranked 17 by Knightmare ranked 12 by Chris25)
Height: 189cm Weight: 75kg DOB: 14/7/1993

Highlights: http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=123417

Knightmare says:
Versatile medium size player. Have seen him mainly down back but can play through the midfield or up forward well. Have seen him do some really nice defensive jobs down back. Has a high skill level and is very duel sided. Strong overhead. Shows some good run and carry with the ball in hand. Was great throughout the U18 champs and form in the later part of the season will likely move him up the rankings further than expected.

Chris25 says:
Should definitely be a late riser in draft rankings, due in a large part to his form in the SANFL playing league football. I've been keeping a close eye on him over the past couple of months, and he impresses me more with every game he plays. Forster is another one of those running half back/midfielder types, provides good run and all that. Even at league level, his teammates feed him the ball because he just doesn't make mistakes. I think he'll find himself a nice little home playing on a wing. He also captained SA in the U16 Championships a couple of years ago.

9. Brandon Ellis (ranked 18 by Knightmare ranked 24 by Chris25)
Height: 181cm Weight 81kg DOB: 3/8/1993

Highlights: http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=123413

Knightmare says:
Good user of the ball. Has a bit of a weapon of a kick down back. Provides great rebound from defence. Wins the hard ball and really attacks it. Good reader of the play. Tackles hard. Shrugs tackles with ease. Has a stocky type build but interestingly tested very well in the sprints. Has been a big performer both throughout the year for Calder Cannons as throughout the U18 champs so should be a fairly immediate player based on production this year and body type + size. Interestingly had a very good draft combine and tested incredibly well in all categories.

Chris25 says:
Simply the best available player for Gold Coast here, and luckily for them a player they could really use. Tough, nuggety looking player who I'm assured will test very well athletically at the combine. He is a versatile player, and really you could play him in whatever position you wanted. Played mostly off half back, will no doubt be a part of midfield rotations too. I can see him developing into a handy small/medium defender in the mean time.

10. Sebastian Ross (ranked 19 by Knightmare ranked 59 by Chris25)
Height: 187cm Weight: 82kg DOB: 7/5/1993

Highlights: http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=121440

Knightmare says:
Medium midfielder/forward who feels really draftable. Really lively. Has a high work rate. Footskills are the standout feature of his game. Just one of those perfect left footers. Under pressure has no difficulty executing. Really like his tackling pressure and for someone with his footskills it’s a rare combination to have. Can play some midfield either inside or outside comfortably. But really like what i’ve seen of him as a forward most. Hard worker and has been a real improver over the past year.

Chris25 says:
Didn't feature for Vic Country in underage football before this year, but Ross is a hard worker and has taken his opportunities this season. Has played a fair bit as a medium forward, but also worked further up the ground and he links up well. I like him up the ground, so he can use his good (but slightly inconsistent) foot skills to deliver inside fifty.

So thats the first 10 players for discussion. Hopefully this gives everyone a bit more of an idea as to who we may get with our first pick.

The 10 players in contention for 26.

1. Fraser McInnes (ranked 19 by Knightmare ranked 13 by Chris25)
Height: 194cm Weight: 91kg DOB: 19/7/1993

Highlights: None available

Knightmare says:
Key position player with great potential at his size. Strong mark overhead. Very mobile and should grow out well. Has had some injury difficulties but looks good. Versatility is there for him to play a range of positions, but possibly like him more as a key forward. 1st round quality talent who despite not playing throughout the U18 champs is slowly rising up the standings.

Chris25 says:
Lots of potential in this kid. Apart from his height, he also has a relatively mature body and is set to debut in the seniors in the coming weeks. For a defender his size, he is pretty mobile and isn't restricted to playing on resting ruckmen and could very well play on the medium types too. He could be one to really move up in the coming months. Having said all that, he can play forward too and presents nicely on the lead.

2. Zyrus/Waylen Manson (ranked 22 by Knightmare ranked 81 by Chris25)
Height: 195cm Weight: 84kg DOB: 24/4/1993

Knightmare says:
The talent is there as is the production which makes Manson a deserving 1st round prospect. Has a massive running vertical jump as his draft combine score would indicate. Ability to take over games like probably no other talent in this draft outside of maybe Patton. But doesn’t yet understand team structures, and hasn’t played much serious team football so it is a big time high risk, high reward selection because he could be anything if he can apply himself, but could also become nothing very quickly. Also there is the go home factor.

Chris25 says:
Lots of talk about Manson, lots of talent but a bit of an unknown. Personally I find it hard to put someone I have seen no footage of into the first round. There is more at play than just his talent though; the question is how he will adapt especially considering how long it took Claremont to get him down to Perth. I would put money on him going to a WA based club, and even then it won’t be an easy ride.

3. Nick Haynes (ranked 23 by Knightmare ranked 39 by Chris25)
Height: 191cm Weight: 76kg DOB: 18/5/1992

Highlights: http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=121435

Knightmare says:
Tall wingman who can play forward. Is that year older. Very thin build still. Late bloomer and has grown significantly over past 2 years suggesting more improvement. Very strong overhead and consistently marks at the highest point. Very agile and has nice running ability.

Chris25 says:
Another 19 year old, but a big improver this year despite still being relatively skinny. Lots to like about him, nice size and just a matter of time until he starts to fill out a bit more. Can play as either an outside midfielder or a hit up half forward. Some suggest he could be a first rounder, but somewhere around the second round seems good to me.

4. Hayden Crozier (ranked 24 by Knightmare ranked 11 by Chris25)
Height: 184cm Weight: 68kg DOB: 24/12/1993

Highlights: None Available(will update soon)

Knightmare says:
Still inconsistent and doesn’t impact games as consistently as you would want, but none the less a special talent who can do the team lifting things whether it be taking a specie or kicking a team lifting goal. Already famous for his sensational specie he took during the champs. Absolute highlight machine who can do the special and make it look easy. Still light but has standout speed and really has that young Dale Thomas feel to his play with that tremendous upside. Skill level very high and has a nice long left foot kick. Has great goal sense. Needs to work on endurance, but with work that should come and with it should come consistency. Will also need to add weight, but still very young so that also should come. Really vocal player. Will be one of the youngest players drafted this year and will likely has a fair bit of growth left.

Chris25 says:
The excitement machine in this year's draft, and I think everyone knows what he can do. At the moment, he may not do it enough but that doesn't really concern me. But that shouldn’t stop GWS, as with all their picks they can afford to take a risk or two. He has all the potential, and his hands and feet are already at the required level. We've seen that the skinny kids can still come in and play a role early on. If GWS don't take him here, it wouldn't surprise me if he slipped out of the top 30.

5. Thomas Sheridan (ranked 25 by Knightmare ranked 49 by Chris25)
Height: 185cm Weight: 76kg DOB: 28/10/1993

Highlghts: None available

Knightmare says:
Versatile type who can play mid, forward, back all pretty comfortably. Has put together some pretty reasonable form this season and continues to get good numbers. Skill level is good and has that really solid endurance base already. Doesn’t have that top level pace or those real standout qualities but is a really nice all rounder. Draft combine showed that his endurance is right up there with the best in the business. What the draft combine also confirmed in my mind is that Sheridan is a clown off the field. This doesn’t necessarily mean he doesn’t work hard on and off the field, more so that he enjoys the practical joking sides of things and likely would be one of the less serious personalities around the club, so a professional and successful environment might be the best thing for him.

Chris25 says:
Sheridan is another midfielder who could find his draft stocks increasing with a good couple of months. He is a really hard running player, and his aerobic capacity would already be right up there with current AFL players. With that, he is able to work hard both offensively and defensively. His kicking needs to improve if he is to really hurt teams consistently, and that is what will likely let him down.

6. Sam Docherty (ranked 26 by both Knightmare & Chris25)
Height: 183cm Weight: 83kg DOB: Unknown

Highlights: Unavailable

Knightmare says:
Really impressive when he got injected into the champs. Wasn’t part of the original Vic Country side. Back flanker who provides serious dash from defence and looks like a real weapon in the making with that explosive speed of his. Kicking is exceptional and under pressure looks very composed which is a great sign. Man on man is solid and is an absolute rebounding machine from defence. Allot to like and is a 1st round talent.

Chris25 says:
A little overrated for mine, but should be around the late first round anyway. Not originally a part of the Vic Country squad, Docherty played the final two games and was one of the best players on both occasions. He provided plenty of run off half back, although I'd like to see him improve his kicking and decision making a tad. Can get under the ball and often seems to kick to contests. His good form has continued over into his TAC Cup games, and a strong finish to the season could see him push up into the first round.

7. Shane Nelson (ranked 27 by Knightmare ranked 37 by Chris25)
Height: 178cm Weight: 70kg DOB: 11/5/1993

Highlights: Unavailable

Knightmare says:
Big time midfield ball winner. Has standout endurance. Speed very good. Wins the hard ball on the inside but also has an impact running on the outside. Has a solid skill level and links up well finding targets by foot consistently. Marking overhead strong for size. Doesn’t really have the standout qualities of some of those I have a little higher, but very good all rounder.

Chris25 says:
The Saints could go for a KPP here, but Nelson is too good to pass on here and can play both inside and outside. Another small midfielder, but again a real ball winner. Although he performed well at the combine, I see him more as a solid player rather one with real stand out features. Don't take that as a bad thing though, he has the versatility to play wherever and will find the ball wherever he goes.

8. Brad McKenzie (ranked 28 by Knightmare ranked 18 by Chris25)
Height: 188cm Weight: 75kg DOB: 29/5/1993

Highlights: http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=123418

Knightmare says:
The thing that stands out with McKenzie is his skills by foot, is the absolute feature of his game. Has a great penetrating left foot kick on him and can consistently find targets or kick long goals from 60m out without any difficulty. Even under pressure executes by foot without any difficulty. Not a sensational athlete but makes up for it with his skill level. Seems to have a really good understanding of the game and reads the play well. Inside work is also very good. Was one of SA’s best midfielders in the u18 champs and had a couple of big games. A bit of a flanker but can play midfield. Quality ball user.

Chris25:
I'd like to see North go tall, but you can never have too many classy users of the ball. Another SA midfielder, and once again he has elite foot skills. His left boot was as good as anyones in the Championships. I think he'll play across half back and the wing, although having said that his inside work is good and he should be apart of midfield rotations. He always seems to have time and space, and he uses that to set a lot of run. Also a good mark above his head.

9. Todd Elton (ranked 29 by Knightmare ranked 8 by Chris25)
Height: 197cm Weight: 87kg DOB: 29/4/1993

Highlights: http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=123377

Knightmare says:
Athletic leading forward/ruckman. Very agile and moves really well for someone of his size. Has great speed for his size. Has a big leap on him as his running vertical jump score as his result at the draft combine shows. Good tackler for size. Very competitive at ground level. Has a very long kick on him. Strong mark overhead. Probably needs to influence more games more consistently because some games he can be among the better players and in other games can do very little. Didn’t really stand out during the champs as much as I would have liked and has had a very inconsistent season, but still is one of the better tall prospects because he still has all the pieces to develop into a serious player at the next level. Potential is there but just hasn’t put it together yet.

Chris25 says:
Probably not the pick Brisbane were hoping to make, but they do have some young midfielders stepping up so that does make this one easier. Elton's Championships weren't the greatest, but since not being picked up by GWS as a 17 year old he has worked on his strength and has also played both in the ruck and down back. Despite his quiet Championships, the ability and potential is still there. He moves well for someone his size, and takes a strong mark.

10. Mitchell Grigg (ranked 30 by Knightmare ranked 46 by Chris25)
Height: 183cm Weight: 81kg DOB: 2/1/1993

Highlights: http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=121432

Knightmare says:
Doesn’t have great pace or athleticism as shown by some of his draft combine results but is a real footballer who was a standout at the u18 champs. Has a super long 60m left foot kick which hits it’s targets consistently and is a real feature of his game. Really good decision maker whether by hand or foot just seems to always find the right target. Very high skill level for an inside player which along with his long kick is what makes him stand out. Good decision maker. Big ball winner. Endurance good. Ready to play now and have an impact. Could to improve further win more of the hard contested footy, is improving in this area but need to become better in this area to make it at the next level.

Chris25 says:
I've been up and down on Grigg, and I find him to be one of the hardest to place. He is another who risen through the rankings after an impressive Championships, but his form at Norwood hasn’t always been the same. His kicking can be at the elite level, but it isn’t always firing and can lack touch when he isn’t kicking it 50m. One thing that doesn’t show up on videos is how he goes about his football when he doesn’t have the ball, and it isn’t always the most inspiring. He could have a real impact early, but the question is over how high his ceiling actually is.

The 10 players in contention for pick 55.

1. Cam Eardley (ranked 51 by Knightmare ranked 67 by Chris25)
Height: 182cm Weight: 74kg DOB: 24/6/1993

Knightmare says:
Really hard player who really contests very hard any time he gets near the footy. Very physical and enjoys all the hard stuff. Wins plenty of his own ball. Really liked what he did down back when Lockyer got injured for WA. Held really strong down back and really has that defensive side to his game down which was encouraging.

Chris25 says:
Midfielder from WA, but when he played in the Championships it was often in the back lines. And he did that well, especially in one game when Lockyer went down injured. But all that just highlights the defensive side of his game. He wins plenty of the ball offensively too, and isn't afraid to get involved in the physical stuff.

2. Cameron Ellis-Yolmen (ranked 52 by Knightmare ranked 38 by Chris25)
Height: 191cm Weight: 88kg DOB: 28/1/1993

Knightmare says:
Big, strong inside player. Already physically pretty ready to go and should have a fairly immediate impact. Nice height. Potential is there. Recent form has been very good. Has been a big ball winner throughout the year. I do think he has dominated stoppages on size more than anything which he won’t be able to do at the next level, so I don’t think he will necessarily go as high as some of his bigger fans might lead you to believe.

Chris25 says:
Underrated player around these parts, don't think he has really been mentioned at all. At just 18 he is 191cm and 88kg, great size for a midfielder considering most are generally short in this draft class. Only played 1 game for SA in the Championships, and was quite good. In the U18 competition in the SANFL, he is averaging nearly 30 touches and 5 clearances a game. Strong tackler, good above his head and a real creative player. Hopefully it won’t be long until his ranking starts to climb.

3. Henry Schade (ranked 53 by Knightmare ranked 45 by Chris25)
Height: 194cm Weight 81kg DOB: 8/10/1993

Knightmare says:
Really solid full back. Good reader of the play. Long left foot kick. Good leap. Has nice pace. Agile. Not often that he gets beaten 1v1. One of the best for Tasmania during the champs and looks like a good chance to get drafted.

Chris25 says:
There are more well known names on the board here, but I wanted to go for a tall here and I can see a team liking what they see in Schade. And why wouldn't they? Is a big guy, but has pretty good speed and can run the ball out of the back lines. Also has a very nice kick on him, so will be more than just a body out there.

4. Jordan Kelly (ranked 54 by Knightmare ranked 36 by Chris25)
Height: 191cm Weight: 81kg DOB: 27/6/1993

Knightmare says:
Bit undersized to be a key position defender so might have to develop into more of a back flanker who can shut down some dangerous medium forwards. Really good player defensively but provides really nice rebound from defence. Has really nice speed and skill level is very good. One of those who has performed really well in the past but might slide a little lower than he probably should because he hasn’t quite played up to the level many of us thought he might this year.

Chris25 says:
Bit of an interesting player is Kelly. Although he is 191cm, he isn't really big enough to play as a KPP. That isn't to say he won’t be developed into one, but at this stage he has played primarily running roles down back. He moves really well, so there is a lot to work with as a potential CHB. Would be a great selection for a team already with height down back.

5. Jimmy Webster (ranked 55 by Knightmare ranked 79 by Chris25)
Height: 186cm Weight: 71kg DOB: 28/6/1993

Knightmare says:
Really nice left footer. Has nice penetration on his kick. Great user of the footy. Good pace. Didn’t stand out as much as I had hoped during the champs and because of it has gone down my rankings. But looks like a really solid prospect none the less. Really talented outside mid who can go forward and have an impact.

Chris25 says:
Speedy winger from Tasmania, who isn't afraid to take the game on when he has the ball. Another AIS member and although his form this year hasn't been what was maybe expected, he has a lot of potential and natural talent. Could easily push up into the second round, especially if a team is looking to inject some more run into their side.

6. Marley Williams (ranked 56 by Knightmare ranked 41 by Chris25)
Height: 181cm Weight: 85kg DOB: 22/7/1993

Knightmare says:
Real angry ant. The thing that stands out with Williams is his super long kicking. Final game of the champs off one foot showed his penetration with a huge 55m bomb off one step for the goal. Looked routine. Has a really strong build and seems like that Alex Fasolo type where he could play in from season one. Has really nice speed for someone with such a solid build. Really like some of the hard bumps and team things he does off the ball. Enjoys chasing and harassing. Endurance needs some work but with time in the AFL system that will come. Can Paul Chapman style lose his temper and be undisciplined but hopefully that energy can be harnessed over his career and put to better use.

Chris25 says:
Another kid who I probably rate a little more than others might. He is a strongly built midfielder/forward, but does have an impressive turn of speed. There is no denying he has natural talent, and there was one play in particular during the Championships against SA which they showed this - one handed contested mark, followed by a 55m goal off one step. I can see him debuting early, just needs to keep putting in the work.

7. Steve Rusca (ranked 57 by Knightmare ranked 68 by Chris25)
Height: 182cm Weight: 75kg DOB: 24/6/1993

Knightmare says:
Is that smaller type. But can play down back and rotate into the midfield. Work rate good. Skill level very good. Always composed and makes good decisions. Big accumulator. Good run and carry play who gives good drive from the back half.

Chris25 says:
The Saints have a few running half backs, but having said that most of them are capable of rotating through the midfield - and Rusca is no different. Rusca would fit in nicely at any team as he will do exactly what you ask of him, tough player who you would think is a lot older than what he is. Just doesn't make many mistakes.

8. Steven Verrier (ranked 58 by Knightmare ranked 63 by Chris25)
Height: 185cm Weight: 80kg DOB: 24/6/1993

Knightmare says:
Probably didn’t see the level of production I was expecting from him during the U18 championships but still I like the look of him. Still showed some bits I liked. Looks good through the midfield, down back and even looks dangerous at times when he pushes forward. Is a nice user of the ball by foot. Has line breaking ability. Seems to read the ball really well. Nice tackling ability.

Chris25 says:
Played for WA in the U18 Championships, and has made a league debut back home in the WAFL. Not the most productive player going around, but he has shown signs of being a special player. Has good speed, no problems with his disposal and looks to be a smart player. Will be one of those players who likely rotates through a number of different positions.

9. Jack Newnes (ranked 59 by Knightmare ranked 66 by Chris25)
Height: 184cm Weight: 74kg DOB: 24/2/1993

Knightmare says:
Good linkup player who can play along the wings, forward or back without any trouble. Kicking is very good and consistently finds targets. Duel sided. Has good footy smarts. Good decision maker. Has reasonable but not great speed. Can do shut down jobs. Needs to build an inside game and needs to win more contested footy.

Chris25 says:
Medium midfielder, and another one who tried out for GWS at the Combine last year. While he obviously didn't get picked up, he did score a top five finish in the 3km time trial. Newnes is just a really composed midfielder, who can go forward and is an accurate shot on goal. He wont stop running, but he isn't the quickest or strongest player going around.

10. Nic O'Brien (ranked 60 by Knightmare ranked 72 by Chris25)
Height: 189cm Weight: 89kg DOB: 26/6/1993

Knightmare says:
Good size for a medium forward. Strong mark overhead and on the lead. Presents really well. Good tackling ability and gives those 2nd and 3rd efforts. Performances throughout the year have been very good. Has good vision but kicking can at times let him down at times, really needs to work hard on it.

Chris25 says:
Not the most exciting player going around, but a good player nonetheless. Playing as a high half forward, he presents well, has a very strong set of hands and won’t stop running all day. Captain of North Ballarat, and he can push up into the midfield too. I doubt he'll ever win awards, but the clubs fan will like him. As will the coaching staff, as they'll know they have a real leader.

The 10 players in contention for pick 73.

1. Tom Curran (ranked 68 by Knightmare ranked 55 by Chris25)
Height: 195cm Weight: 85kg DOB: 18/9/1993

Knightmare says:
Can play both key position forward or back well. The thing that stands out with Tom is his marking ability, very strong mark overhead and on the lead. Good size. Lacks a yard of pace. Was ok during the U18 championships but didn’t stand out as much as I’d hoped. Has since really built his form up and played some really good football to close out the season as a key defender.

Chris25 says:
So Hawthorn wont be taking Curran as a F/S selection. Interesting decision, personally I would have taken him for now and checked out what the other clubs would bid for him - Hawthorn could have had a bargain. But anyway, he'll get drafted and I think will stay around the second and third round mark. Not the quickest big man going around, but he is a good size and has performed well at either end of the ground.

2. Haiden Schlothe (ranked 69 by Knightmare ranked as a rookie chance by Chris25)
Height: 179cm Weight: 72kg DOB: 16/6/1993

Knightmare says:
Really good user of the footy. Looks dangerous whenever he gets near it. Good reader of the play. Has that radar where he just knows exactly where the goals are. Looks incredibly draftable. Has really impressed me and stood out in the couple of games I’ve seen of him. Can play up the field but just love what I’ve seen of him as a forward

Chris25 says:
I haven’t always been as impressed with Schloithe as others. Looks quite unrefined at times, and his disposal isn’t always where it should be. Think his best football will be played as a defensive forward, although again he needs to have a real impact on the scoreboard – something he hasn’t really done to date. Can win lots of the ball, and is an incredible tackler highlighted with a 16 tackle game in the Colts this year.

3. Michael Bussey (ranked 70 by Knightmare ranked 48 by Chris25)
Height: 196cm Weight: 81kg DOB: 5/7/1993

Knightmare says:
Athletic key position forward who probably isn’t having the season I had hoped so far, was really hoping he would take that next step this season. While he has played most of his footy as a forward he could play minor ruck minutes or even be swung back and do reasonably well. Will need to fill out but as a young KPP that will come with time. Has good pace. Reasonable strong mark both on the lead and overhead. Some questions on how much he wants to play at the next level which is why I see him sliding.

Chris25 says:
Geelong can pretty much do what they want here. Bussey can play down back (I actually prefer him down there) but most of his work for Metro and the AIS has been up forward. He needs a season or two to really fill out, but he has had some impressive showings already. With the way the game is played at the moment, he'll be expected to run through the ruck at times and while he can do it, he is a KPP first.

4. Alex Greenwood (ranked 71 by Knightmare ranked)
Height: 178 Weight: 71kg DOB: 24/10/1993

Knightmare says:
Really nice left footer. Highly rated coming into the season. Really good clearance player and does some nice work in close. Really clean player and good decision maker.

5. Tom Lee (ranked 71 by Chris25)
Height: 194cm

Chris25 says:
Athletically gifted 20 year old tall forward, Lee was initially drafted by Adelaide as a project player but was dumped after just one year. Was always going to be a good 2-3 years before he started showing what he can do, and he is doing that for Claremont this year. Although his form has dropped off, he has shown good signs as a strong marking forward. Needs to have more of an impact on the scoreboard, but the potential is definitely still there.

6. Nathan Blee (ranked 72 by Knightmare)
Height: 192cm Weight: 91kg DOB: 7/9/1990

Knightmare says:
Mature ager. Probably a little short to play key defence but can play and has a draft combine invite so it on the radar of a number of clubs. Can do a bit of everything. Is strong enough 1v1 to hold his man. Rarely beaten. Speed good and can go with most similarly size forwards. Can also provide some drive from the back half.

7. Xavier Richards (ranked 73 by Chris25)
Height: 194cm

Chris25 says:
Again just like Tomlinson and Frost, Richards is more in the frame based on his ability than consistency. The positives for Xavier are definitely his size, and from all reports he might still a little bit left in him. But also his attack on both the ball and player, and his tackling was a feature in the U18s. Is agile enough and has a good set of hands on him. I like him as a defender, but you could easily develop him at either end of the ground.

8. Jake Hammond (ranked 73 by Knightmare)
Height: 191cm Weight: 82kg DOB:

Knightmare says:
Has had injury issues this year. Been a big goal kicker this year. Very strong mark overhead. Really agile type with very good endurance. Left footer and reasonable shot on goal. Will likely play as a 3rd tall at the next level. Probably didn’t close out the season all that strongly as he would have liked which might hurt his draft position.

9. Ben Darrou (ranked 76 by Knightmare ranked 74 by Chris25)
Height: 190cm Weight: 91kg DOB: 25/11/1993

Knightmare says:
Really big bodied player. Ready to play sooner rather than later. Can play anywhere. Probably like him most as a defender though. Really strong mark overhead. Strong body. Has a nice kick on him. Can provide some run from defence. The thing I most like with Darrou though is his work off the ball. Does all the little things like off the ball shepherding and hard bumping that make coaches happy. If he can grow those couple of extra cm could be a really good KPD at the next level.

Chris25 says:
Really nice player is Darrou, I think he’ll prove to be a bit of a bargain. Can play both on taller and smaller opponents, as he reads the ball really well and can run off and provide a real attacking presence too. Good foot skills and some real strength through his body. As a later round prospect, there is a lot to work with.

10. Lee Spurr (ranked 74 by Knightmare ranked rookie chance by Chris25)
Height: 183cm Weight: 80kg DOB: 20/7/1987

Knightmare says:
Versatile type and can play back, forward or midfield easily. Strong overhead. High work rate. Has had a really good season and is ready to play now. As I understand it was a bit of a late bloomer and has now really come into his own with some serious totals in the SANFL.

Chris25 says:
Was a bit of talk around Spurr as a potential GWS pre-listing, with several clubs showing real interest in the 24 year old. Did his chances no harm by nearly winning the SANFL GF off his own boot last week, dominated the final term. He can play pretty much anywhere on the ground, is good in the air and has good skills. Really should be on an AFL list.

There you go thats 40 odd players for discussion. Hopefully the details that have been provided by Knightmare & Chris25 help.

To read their full mock drafts the links are:
Knightmares Mock Draft
Chris25s Mock Draft

will the club pull of another no one knows about this kid but us type thing like with conca?

i swear if we pass up some one clearly better and is well known like we did with conca compared to Heppel i will flip

I would be pretty happy with Greene. Hard at it, decent skills and seems to have a great mindset.

Yep, probably. He just looks a bit of a small gutsy hacker to me. Just going from the video. Obviously I'm not suggesting for a second that he's a hack, more a sound grab it and boot it sort of guy. Yes, some of those end up like Selwood, but he's pretty much the exception

I remember David Wheadon saying that at that level they look more for loose ball gets than hard ones. The insinuation being that working hard, losing your man and then delivering well is better than a bloke always on the bottom of a pack

We will see, but the Kavanagh, Grigg double would be just grand

Great work but I think? we need another midfielder and forward/mid with our first 2 picks, and best availiable need at 55.
Pick(15)Kavanaugh(mid),adams(mid),Dsmith(hf),Greene(mid)
Pick(26)Crozier(hf),Kerridge(mid),Grigg(mid),McKenzie(hb),Ross(hf)
Pick(55)Downie(ruck),Darrou(hb),Manson(kf)

As unlikely as is it may be I would be rapt if we selected Taylor Adams and Devon Smith with our first to picks, both mids who are able to go forward and kick goals. Christensen for the Cats this year is showed height isn't always a factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I suggested in another thread...get Mihocek.

His negatives can be fixed..i.e. speed, his positives are things that cant be fixed in players who have his negatives.. You cant teach a kid to read the play, position themselves in a marking contest, know how to keep the arms free when tackled to be able to pick their target and get to the right spots, but you can work on their speed. A pre-season or 2 dragging the tyres across the park and job done...;)

will the club pull of another no one knows about this kid but us type thing like with conca?

i swear if we pass up some one clearly better and is well known like we did with conca compared to Heppel i will flip

dude, comparing 2 players in year 1 is ridiculous...yes Heppel had a great debut year and all that, but we need Conca to have a great career. I will go out on a limb here and suggest that when the time comes, Conca will be our version of diesel williams..better still I am confident he will steer the midfield ship as the extractor. ;)

Kavanagh and Nelson for me if available. Video of one of the 2nd halves of Manson's game is on the D&T board. He kicks 8 (5 in the 2nd half) but that's about all he does. Everytime he gets the ball he burns his teammates and has a ping. If he's no chance of kicking a goal he just stands around doing nothing.

Conca has so many of the attributes you'd want in a footballer you'd be nuts to be unhappy with him. Give him a couple of full preseasons and more developed team mates and he should be terrific.

Conca has so many of the attributes you'd want in a footballer you'd be nuts to be unhappy with him. Give him a couple of full preseasons and more developed team mates and he should be terrific.
It's called being angry because the mock drafts on BF are always accurate :p

I'm doubtful that fj would be too interested in kavanagh. Understand he's a talent but there are just too many question marks on him.

I would really like Adams with our first pick but I don't think he'll be there. Have been warming to markworth instead. Sounds like an isaac smith type and we do need some outside speed to compliment dusty, cotch and foley. Has the frame on him to become an imposing figure.

I have a real good feeling about Shane Nelson coming out in a couple of years and having a breakout season as a AFL footballer, I think he may have the goods.

The question is do you think Richmond Supporters would give him the time to develop and be able to part with pick 26 for him.

Bookmark this post and come back in 5 years, will be a A-Grade player

I have a real good feeling about Shane Nelson coming out in a couple of years and having a breakout season as a AFL footballer, I think he may have the goods.

The question is do you think Richmond Supporters would give him the time to develop and be able to part with pick 26 for him.

Bookmark this post and come back in 5 years, will be a A-Grade player
On the bandwagon already :D

On the bandwagon already :D
I have noticed quite a few people on the bandwagon since i first posted. If you were to put the WA midfielders in top 3 it would go:
1.Stephen Coniglio
2.Jaeger O’Meara
3.Shane Nelson

Shane Nelson has scored a near perfect 29 out of 30 at the combine equaling the record, anyone know who else scored this in the past? So if we got him at pick 26 what a pick up!

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Draft Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back