Preview Draft Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I have noticed quite a few people on the bandwagon since i first posted. If you were to put the WA midfielders in top 3 it would go 1.Stephen Coniglio, 2.Jaeger O’Meara 3. So if we got him at pick 26 what a pick up!
Think he could play wing/hff for a few years until he is ready to play as an inside mid. Racks up heaps of the ball.

Conca has so many of the attributes you'd want in a footballer you'd be nuts to be unhappy with him. Give him a couple of full preseasons and more developed team mates and he should be terrific.

yes i agree... BUT Heppel was able to do what we want conca to do in a "couple of preseasons" in one ... and we could have had him

and who's to say how far conca would have dropped? could we have got him with our second pick or even compo pick?

yes i agree... BUT Heppel was able to do what we want conca to do in a "couple of preseasons" in one ... and we could have had him

and who's to say how far conca would have dropped? could we have got him with our second pick or even compo pick?
We didnt use our compo pick and no he wouldnt reach our 2nd. Seems Freo and GC both wanted him. Would have gone top 13 to GC. Conca also missed a huge chunk of pre-season so bit unfair to compare him to a player who had one.

We didnt use our compo pick and no he wouldnt reach our 2nd. Seems Freo and GC both wanted him. Would have gone top 13 to GC. Conca also missed a huge chunk of pre-season so bit unfair to compare him to a player who had one.

Heppel and conca suffered injury that interrupted there preseasons.

And heppel came out on top of that injury and was one of the top 3 new players of this year.

NOT saying he is a dud .. not at all .. BUTTT i ask you the question who would you have honestly picked if you were FJ saying the names out.

Heppel 9 times out of 10

I wouldn't trade Conca for Heppel. Not in a million years. Don't get sucked in Bird Man, we have the better player.

Im happy to hav taken conca over heppell there is something about heppell that doesnt sit well with me not sure exactly what it is but he definately looks to b one of those types that will b overated his whole carreer.

Are you serious?

Conca had surgery and didn't do any work in the pre season. People forget how good Conca was when he played midfield for 4 or 5 weeks before his lack of fitness caught up with him. In those weeks he was every bit as good as Heppell if not better. His evasiveness, smarts and skills are better than Heppell. What Dyson has over Conca is a better fitness base and probably a better ability to find the ball. I rate Heppell highly but I wouldn't swap Reece in a second.

Sorry, but do we have to do this every ****ing year? It really pisses me off how narrow minded some supporters are. We went through the same shit with Vickery and Rance after their first year or two and now they are in out best 5 players. Show a semblance of ****ing patience.

And heppel came out on top of that injury and was one of the top 3 new players of this year.

NOT saying he is a dud .. not at all .. BUTTT i ask you the question who would you have honestly picked if you were FJ saying the names out.

Heppel 9 times out of 10

Yep and I'd take Rich over Ziebull, Redden, Rockcliff and Sidebottom. Also would take Rhys Palmer over cotchin after their first seasons. Daniel Pierce over Pendlebury and Thomas.

Are you serious?

Conca had surgery and didn't do any work in the pre season. People forget how good Conca was when he played midfield for 4 or 5 weeks before his lack of fitness caught up with him. In those weeks he was every bit as good as Heppell if not better. His evasiveness, smarts and skills are better than Heppell. What Dyson has over Conca is a better fitness base and probably a better ability to find the ball. I rate Heppell highly but I wouldn't swap Reece in a second.

Sorry, but do we have to do this every ****ing year? It really pisses me off how narrow minded some supporters are. We went through the same shit with Vickery and Rance after their first year or two and now they are in out best 5 players. Show a semblance of ****ing patience.

haha i am not narrow minded mate .. i just go with what i have seen out on the footy field and so far Heppel is the better player.

haha i am not narrow minded mate .. i just go with what i have seen out on the footy field and so far Heppel is the better player.

It isn't that simple though, mate.

Refer to the post above yours. It happens every year. Remember how filthy many over here were about us taking Tyrone over Sidebottom and Ziebell? Or Rance over Pears? You reckon anyone would swap him now? I wouldn't consider it for a second.

Maybe consider giving these blokes a chance to acclimatize to AFL footy before casting dispersions. Reece will surprise next year.

Heppell imo is overrated. Not that he isn't a good player but you would think he won the brownlow. For example offensivley his Anzac day game was great but defensivley it was horrible. Was sitting on the HFF and remember noticing that many goals resulting from his mistakes or his man.

Kavanagh & Grigg please and then Waylen Manson at 55...lol!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know he is young and raw but sometimes you have to take a calculated risk with pick 55. I really feel we have little to lose but much to gain by picking Chad Sandilands at that pick. He is already 204cm and growing. We know what he'll look like when he is 25. Not a stick but a giant. If you said that we could recruit Aaron then most would say do it in a heart beat! Why not realize that more likely than not, he too will perform like his brother in 7 years? I don't think anyone else would have such huge upside to them at pick 55. Imagine the weapon we potentially could have with a giant ruckman!

Haven't seen as much this year as in past years, but I'd like at least one big bodied inside mid with a defensive side to his game. Kicking skills and composure are a must, of course, or we'll end up with another Jackson. Grigg, Kavanagh, Clay Smith, all look appealing to me. Greene looks good as a clearance winner but would probably have the same problem as our current A grade clearance rotation, in that they can win clearances fine, its stopping the opposition from getting the clearance that is the problem. He's probably just a bit small to really lock the ball in there.

Of course, we could always use Lids in there, and that would solve the problem, but he seems set for the half back line.

Heppel 9 times out of 10
Obviously Heppell was the BF love-child but i wouldnt trade Conca for him.

Conca nearly missed all the pre-season yet moved to the midfield in round 4 for the following possessions:

vs Collingwood 23 (DE 91%)
vs North 22 (73%)
vs Brisbane 22 (77%)
vs Fremantle 24 (75%)
vs Doggies 22 (68%)
vs Essendon 23 (87%)

before running out of legs.

Difference is Heppell lasted the year out longer and was a predominant HBF.
A full pre-season and that should be more consistent and probably better.

The 4 players I would be taking right now are:

15 - Alex Forster.
189cm midfielder/defender who by all reports just has outstanding skills/decision making. Given how hap hazard our backline has been in bringing the ball out of the backline over the last couple of years. I would like to see this kid playing alongside Batchelor/Morris/Dea as our 4 small/mid sized defenders. This would allow the likes of Deledio and Houli to be used further up the ground, which also gives us greater depth in our midfield.

26 - Brad McKenzie
188cm midfielder/flanker. Another big bodied midfielder with great footskills, which has been something we have always targetted. Judging on what Knightmare & Chris said he would probably start his career on the wing or flanks. While we have plenty of outside types that can run, not many of them have great footskills. McKenzie would be a nice upgrade IMO.

55 - Cameron Ellis-Yolmen
At 191cm & 88kg he is another big bodied midfielder and you can never have too many of them. For mine he seems like being a long term upgrade on Tuck/Jackson in that he comes across as a very good inside midfielder and with his size he would provide plenty of protection for the likes of Cotchin Martin & Foley.

73 - Xavier Richards
194cm KPD who is reportedly still growing and with Will having moved on it would be a smart move to bring in a younger understudy to develop behind Rance Astbury Grimes & Post.

I like those selections too but would like to see us look at half forwards, or at least mids who rest forward, given the departure of Morton and the gulf that already existed there. That's why I'm pretty keen on Markworth, Ross etc.

The 4 players I would be taking right now are:

15 - Alex Forster.
189cm midfielder/defender who by all reports just has outstanding skills/decision making. Given how hap hazard our backline has been in bringing the ball out of the backline over the last couple of years. I would like to see this kid playing alongside Batchelor/Morris/Dea as our 4 small/mid sized defenders. This would allow the likes of Deledio and Houli to be used further up the ground, which also gives us greater depth in our midfield.

26 - Brad McKenzie
188cm midfielder/flanker. Another big bodied midfielder with great footskills, which has been something we have always targetted. Judging on what Knightmare & Chris said he would probably start his career on the wing or flanks. While we have plenty of outside types that can run, not many of them have great footskills. McKenzie would be a nice upgrade IMO.

55 - Cameron Ellis-Yolmen
At 191cm & 88kg he is another big bodied midfielder and you can never have too many of them. For mine he seems like being a long term upgrade on Tuck/Jackson in that he comes across as a very good inside midfielder and with his size he would provide plenty of protection for the likes of Cotchin Martin & Foley.

73 - Xavier Richards
194cm KPD who is reportedly still growing and with Will having moved on it would be a smart move to bring in a younger understudy to develop behind Rance Astbury Grimes & Post.
Agree except id take Nelson over McKenzie if in the event they are both still on the board because i think he could start as a HFF and he has some serious speed as well as genuine midfield potential where as the McKenzie and Forster are more flanker/wing prospects and quite similar in that regard. Even Seb Ross at 26 as a HFF/Mid if we wanted someone bigger than Nelson.

Really like Ellis-Yolmen as a clearance mid or even playing as a big wingman like Morabito. Lovely size for a midfielder. If he wasn't there id look at Henry Schade as a highly skilled KPD.

each to their own RT, but i really dont want us to go after a half back flanker of wingman in the mould of mckenzie, i much prefer the sumner type, they just seem to be more consistent.

pure inside player is a must with one of the two picks.

each to their own RT, but i really dont want us to go after a half back flanker of wingman in the mould of mckenzie, i much prefer the sumner type, they just seem to be more consistent.

pure inside player is a must with one of the two picks.
He did cover the inside mid with Ellis-Yolmen. But Forster/McKenzie are both similar in the sense of being back flank/wingman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Draft Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back