Preview Draft Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I like those selections too but would like to see us look at half forwards, or at least mids who rest forward, given the departure of Morton and the gulf that already existed there. That's why I'm pretty keen on Markworth, Ross etc.
McKenzie & Ellis-Yolmen would easily start their careers as HFFs if we didn't want to move Houli and Deledio from the HBFs.

Agree except id take Nelson over McKenzie if in the event they are both still on the board because i think he could start as a HFF and he has some serious speed as well as genuine midfield potential where as the McKenzie and Forster are more flanker/wing prospects and quite similar in that regard. Even Seb Ross at 26 as a HFF/Mid if we wanted someone bigger than Nelson.

Really like Ellis-Yolmen as a clearance mid or even playing as a big wingman like Morabito. Lovely size for a midfielder. If he wasn't there id look at Henry Schade as a highly skilled KPD.
As I mentione above I see greater benefit in adding guys that can play anywhere from HF to Wing to HB as it gives you greater flexibility in how the side lines up. If we were to just target guys that play basically HF/Mid it doesn't allow us to move someone like Deledio up the ground from the HBF and I'd suggest that most of us would love to have the option of doing that.

each to their own RT, but i really dont want us to go after a half back flanker of wingman in the mould of mckenzie, i much prefer the sumner type, they just seem to be more consistent.

pure inside player is a must with one of the two picks.
Sumner would be good but I just don't believe that he will be available by time our first pick rolls around. Whereas the guys I've picked are all quite likely to be around at the picks we have.

Agree except id take Nelson over McKenzie if in the event they are both still on the board because i think he could start as a HFF and he has some serious speed as well as genuine midfield potential where as the McKenzie and Forster are more flanker/wing prospects and quite similar in that regard. Even Seb Ross at 26 as a HFF/Mid if we wanted someone bigger than Nelson.

Really like Ellis-Yolmen as a clearance mid or even playing as a big wingman like Morabito. Lovely size for a midfielder. If he wasn't there id look at Henry Schade as a highly skilled KPD.
would take mckenzie over nelson any day of the week no more short people we have foley king nahas conca etc thats enought.

Given we have Dea, Houli, Newman, Batchelor, Deledio, Connors, Morris who can rotate through the HBF I'd really hope we'd take a genuine midfielder rather than a HB flanker/midfielder.
Given the amount of rotations now, the days of a pure midfielder who spends all game in the guts are gone. Nowadays you need to be able to spend time playing on a flank as well. Thats why I've picked guys who can fill a variety of positions rather than pure midfielders who aren't much chop when resting up forward nor capable of playing as a accountable defender.

Should we keep Newman off the veterans list, only take 3 this year and automatically give ourselves another spot next year, to fill with a #73 from 2012.
I know we have a fair few coming out of contract next year, but should we really be taking a very late pick in an apparently weak draft, just because we can?
We take 5 rookies this year, so we are hardly not taking a punt... The expectation would have to be that pick 73 this year won't be that flash

Sumner would be good but I just don't believe that he will be available by time our first pick rolls around. Whereas the guys I've picked are all quite likely to be around at the picks we have.

im not saying he will be, and ive hardly seen much, just saying i prefer that type of wingman rather than the tall lanky types with the long kicks because they are much more consistent and better with the contested footy.

would take mckenzie over nelson any day of the week no more short people we have foley king nahas conca etc thats enought.
Conca is 185cm? But i guess you can add Edwards. This year we also had guys like Nason, Webberley, Farmer etc playing. We have nowhere near as many short people as we used to. The problem with majority of our short people is quality.

Collingwood Premiership Team had Davis, Sidebottom, Blair and even Didak who plays small and is smaller than Conca.

Their Grand Final team this year had Davis, Sidebottom, Blair, Didak, Fasolo and Krakouer. More than us but they have quality in their short people.

As I mentione above I see greater benefit in adding guys that can play anywhere from HF to Wing to HB as it gives you greater flexibility in how the side lines up. If we were to just target guys that play basically HF/Mid it doesn't allow us to move someone like Deledio up the ground from the HBF and I'd suggest that most of us would love to have the option of doing that.

I agree with that but i think the 2 of them are similar. Personally like Forster better but wouldn't start a rant thread if we went McKenzie. Both can play HBF/Wing and probably a little bit as a HFF. :p

Id like an accumulator type like Nelson as a bit of variety to what we have. Even Seb Ross who i think Ize brought to my attention in the last thread. Can play HFF or inside/outside mid and has elite skills so could probably play down back as well. Also think Ellis-Yolmen adds variety to what we have too. Although i have my doubts he would be there at pick 55. Probably an early 2nd round prospect at a guess. Having said that their are always players who last longer than expected.

Forster/Nelson/Ellis-Yolmen would be 3 very different players all of good quality added to the mix.

Should we keep Newman off the veterans list, only take 3 this year and automatically give ourselves another spot next year, to fill with a #73 from 2012.
I know we have a fair few coming out of contract next year, but should we really be taking a very late pick in an apparently weak draft, just because we can?
We take 5 rookies this year, so we are hardly not taking a punt... The expectation would have to be that pick 73 this year won't be that flash
Reckon if we had a 4th pick it would be a PSD pick rather than pick 73. But we may just go 15, 26 and PSD and put Newy on the list next year like u said.

Should have thought before i posted. Dont want to upset him. :p

Definitely agree with u. If we can make enough cuts this year then why not wait till next year. Also means its easier to get to 92.5% and then next year half his contract disappears and that money frees up to spend on Lids.

Sam Frost anyone?
Not sure we will go another KPP early. I dont think we are desperate for them. We just need to develop the ones we have and maybe take one at 55. Good prospect though as a CHB and we may take him if the good mids are gone or if we dont rate our young KPD highly.

Anyone else hear Jordan Murdoch was 0.01 sec off breaking Joel Wilkinson's 100m sprint record. (2.76 sec) 189cm lead up half forward. More talking a pick 55. Might be available in rookie draft but someone will probably take a punt due to his quick sprint time.

Do not want McKenzie he is way to slow. I understand Grigg is slower and I want him but Grigg has a huge tank and can win inside ball.

McKenzie would get absolutely dominated at AFL level by small/medium forwards with his lack of pace. I also think you will find his disposal would suffer as he is that slow he wouldn't be able to keep up with the pace.

Would like Kavanagh/Greene/Grigg/Forster @ 15 and one of Grigg/Ellis/Bolger

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think with Thursty "retiring", Morton traded, Taylor, Nason, Farmer delisted & Newman to vets. list; that gives us 6 list spots.

Morris, Maric, Pick 15, Pick 26, Pick 55 & PSD is how I think it will go.

I think with Thursty "retiring", Morton traded, Taylor, Nason, Farmer delisted & Newman to vets. list; that gives us 6 list spots.

Morris, Maric, Pick 15, Pick 26, Pick 55 & PSD is how I think it will go.

Very possibly. But the suggestion was that, IMO, we should pass on the PSD, keep Newman on the vets list and thus assist us getting to 92.5% and instantly free up a space for the supposedly better 2012 draft

Your thoughts as to what we should do? I like getting a new bloke as much as anyone, but with rookies we will be adding a total of 10 new players to our total list. The bloke we overlook at 73 is every chance of being there in the RD and need only be contracted for 1 year

McGuane was apparently heavily front loaded and 92.5% in 2012 will be about $500k more than it was this year. Maric and Morris hardly on big dosh. There is a fair amount of cash we need to deploy to make it to 92.5% and keeping Newman on the main list will help us do that. And has the above list mgt advantages, as well as knocking off another $100k from our total footy spend for a year

Just a thought.

15, 26, 55 and maybe PSD?
@15 Kavanaugh,adams,Greene,Dsmith
@26 Crozier,Kerridge,Ross,Grigg,Frost,Forster
@55 Downie,Darrou,Manson but unlikely to be there!
The recruiters will have have a hit list, and make the right decisions!

Very possibly. But the suggestion was that, IMO, we should pass on the PSD, keep Newman on the vets list and thus assist us getting to 92.5% and instantly free up a space for the supposedly better 2012 draft

Your thoughts as to what we should do? I like getting a new bloke as much as anyone, but with rookies we will be adding a total of 10 new players to our total list. The bloke we overlook at 73 is every chance of being there in the RD and need only be contracted for 1 year

McGuane was apparently heavily front loaded and 92.5% in 2012 will be about $500k more than it was this year. Maric and Morris hardly on big dosh. There is a fair amount of cash we need to deploy to make it to 92.5% and keeping Newman on the main list will help us do that. And has the above list mgt advantages, as well as knocking off another $100k from our total footy spend for a year

Just a thought.

If we can pick up something worth while in the PSD (say a Macaffer type) he would get payed more than ur average draftee. The thing I think would boost our salary cap usage is resigning Lids. I'm feeling really uneasy about him being uncontracted at the end of 2012 :(

Not sure we will go another KPP early. I dont think we are desperate for them. We just need to develop the ones we have and maybe take one at 55. Good prospect though as a CHB and we may take him if the good mids are gone or if we dont rate our young KPD highly.

Anyone else hear Jordan Murdoch was 0.01 sec off breaking Joel Wilkinson's 100m sprint record. (2.76 sec) 189cm lead up half forward. More talking a pick 55. Might be available in rookie draft but someone will probably take a punt due to his quick sprint time.

Wow! Was he in a car? :p

With Thursty retiring, Moore likely to retire and Goo seemingly on the way out. Wonder if we might target a KPD - if not this year then most likely next year.

Wow! Was he in a car? :p

With Thursty retiring, Moore likely to retire and Goo seemingly on the way out. Wonder if we might target a KPD - if not this year then most likely next year.

If Moore doesn't make it and retires before the PSD then obviously we would make a selection in that draft. Would be nice to know before ND night, though. Don't really want to see him scrape a couple of games at he end of 2012 then pull the pin.

I like those selections too but would like to see us look at half forwards, or at least mids who rest forward, given the departure of Morton and the gulf that already existed there. That's why I'm pretty keen on Markworth, Ross etc.

Cameron Shenton could be a good late pick up for that role. 20 year old marking HFF/wingman from Norwood. Has pace, lovely foot skills, strong tackler and has plenty of that x factor.

Kicked 6 goals in his SANFL final this year.

A bit up and down from game to game but for a late pick has plenty to work with.

can some one do a list of players we could get in priority?

example

Pick 15
Kavanagh first priority
second
third
ect ect,,

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Draft Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back