Votes: 19 52.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee I hope not
And I bet he'd be rancid if he doesn't get 12+ games this year
He'll be 20 next year
The great Sam Day had played 40 odd games by the time he was 20
That was in our infancy and forced to play what we had, deserving of a senior spot or not. I still would pick Day ahead of Wright. Am actually hoping we can play all 3 forwards in the same team mostly. Similar to how we had Dixon,Lynch, Day....just put in Wright. Let Lynch and Daytake the best 2 defenders and hopefully Wright can ease into senior footy without as much pressure.

I know day doesn't set the world on fire but I'm not sure 2mp is gonna be any better next year. high chance grant will get a go at times too I guess.
Barring a huge preseason, I think it's fair to say Day will play FF ahead of Wright in round 1. Then you'd hope either Day thrives as the second option behind Lynch or 2MP goes ahead of him by the end of the season.

I hope this a Porzingas moment. He was drafted by the Knicks at the draft last year and Knicks fans were booing the pick.
Anyway he is now dominating and they are calling him porzingod...

Thought exactly the same thing just before I read your comment (got him in fantasy NBA so following his progress closely)

Hopefully it's not like the Johny Flynn / Steph Curry moment and Weidemen turns out to be Pavlich and Ah Chee turns out to be Richard Tambling

Haha. Clutching at straws with this comment mate. Not even going to rise to this attempt at sounding intelligent. Especially given that you danced around every relevant, proper question I put to you

Everyone except you can see your douchery. Wonder why people are calling you out? Can't wait for Callum to prove you wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neither can I! We all hope he goes on to win 5 Brownlows and 10 flags!
At the moment though, from a list management perspective, just not sure it was the right call.

Also, happy for you to keep going with the personal attacks. 'Everyone except you can see your douchery'. Nice line.

Neither can I! We all hope he goes on to win 5 Brownlows and 10 flags!
At the moment though, from a list management perspective, just not sure it was the right call.

Also, happy for you to keep going with the personal attacks. 'Everyone except you can see your douchery'. Nice line.

Eye for an eye.

Genuine question, who available would you have taken instead and why? Not having a crack I'm just curious on your alternative.

Eye for an eye.

Genuine question, who available would you have taken instead and why? Not having a crack I'm just curious on your alternative.

Fair enough. Let's agree to agree that we aren't sooks for not wanting him ;)

Who would I have taken? Weideman or Curnow. Obvious flaws which anyone could pick at, indeed which I've done with Ah Chee, but they would've been the obvious ones for me.

Who would I have taken? Weideman or Curnow. Obvious flaws which anyone could pick at, indeed which I've done with Ah Chee, but they would've been the obvious ones for me.
I would have taken Curnow, before he apparently said to a bunch of interstate teams he wouldn't be looking to leave Melbourne...

Weideman would have been another solid pick.

If Francis was still available at our pick, I would like to think we would have taken him.

Ah Chee > Weideman any day of the week. Ah Chee was the best available player that suited our needs.

If Francis or Parish were available then I'd have taken either of them, but Ah Chee is a beautiful pick for us and genuinely wants to be a Sun. Perfect replacement for Bennell!

Weideman? He has been injured the past two years predominantly and his test results recently were awful. Ah Chee is more justifiable than him. Not too mention he would never get a game for us with our key forwards.

Curnow was never going to happen with his recent indiscretions. I do like him though.

The more you break it down the less drastic a selection Ah Chee seems. When I watched him first hand at league level against adults he really did look good.

Good article on Callum's background prior to the draft

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-...m-ah-chee-out-to-prove-his-hanger-is-no-fluke

ah-chee-WA-hanger-151006620.jpg

He's commuted to training, had his first major injury when playing state footy, parents couldn't take him to training, instead tried to catch the train but that broke down, rang the state coach and said he would be late, coach says don't worry about coming, he catches two replacement buses and walks to training with a moon boot on and in the pouring rain with 15 minutes left he gets there and rides a bike for the last 15 minutes. That's the dedication Clayton has been looking for has a lot of talent but also a very good work ethic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weideman? He has been injured the past two years predominantly and his test results recently were awful. Ah Chee is more justifiable than him. Not too mention he would never get a game for us with our key forwards.

Curnow was never going to happen with his recent indiscretions. I do like him though.

The more you break it down the less drastic a selection Ah Chee seems. When I watched him first hand at league level against adults he really did look good.

That's good to hear. I hope he can continue to play well against bigger bodies.

Do you rate our forward stocks?

Im praying big Lynchy doesn't get injured - have little faith in our other key forwards. I know that a Weideman would not help that situation immediately - but would give another future alternative. Wright not yet ready - Day not proven even after all his games. Next best options for key forwards Currie and Brooksby- a promoted rookie and a guy at his third club - and both ruckmen.
Still believe we needed to take a tall ( preferably a forward) in this draft. We could well be looking for one in next years ..
Has Lynch extended his contract yet..?

Last edited:

To an extent. I think we really need to find that 3rd mobile tall. Grant will fill a need and isn't awful so I'm keen to see what he can do but not expecting him to be a star. If he can get 15d and a couple goals a game while providing another marking target up the arcs that will be a win.

Lynch is Lynch. He's so good you could almost have an average second forward and win a premiership as long as your midfield is good. Sam Day may never be elite but he could be a good forward. Good enough to play second forward in a premiership team. Remember most teams don't have 2 gun KPFs, some not even one. The fact we have Wright too is huge and I think him and Lynch will be huge for us. They will need to rotate as the player who pushes up the ground because the one major downside is that they are both similar. Lynch has more scope as a deep forward due to his contested marking but they are both lead up CHFs not Dixon types. I still think it can work very well.

Martin may be forced to spend more time in the forward line before he becomes a mid if he kicks 30-40 next year.

Garlett will be a good small forward who can push up the ground. Ah Chee the same role but a bit more dynamic and a better talent IMO. I like Matera more on the wing or as a high half forward but he can play deep.

Sexton and Miller can play defensive forward roles well.

I think we look good going forward but we need a good 3rd tall.

Our forward stocks are OK. Don't forget there is this little bald bloke who is expected to play down there a lot more often for at least the next 3 years :cool: It's our ball movement, delivery into the forward line and comparatively few forward 50 entries per match that are our biggest concern. That's what Rocket is employed to fix. BTW who is our forwards coach this year?

Is everyone sold on Matera being an unquestioned keeper at this point? The argument against Ah Chee seems to suggest he is surplus to needs, given we have Garlett, Martin, and Matera in some sort of role forward. Personally I'm all for kicking back and seeing if the uptick in Matera's performance sticks and continues next year, but on potential I'd have him rated under Martin and Garlett. Ah Chee would perhaps sit only behind Martin on potential, and may even push Matera to a fringe/variation/depth role.

In my opinion this is a good forward-thinking pick.

Is everyone sold on Matera being an unquestioned keeper at this point? The argument against Ah Chee seems to suggest he is surplus to needs, given we have Garlett, Martin, and Matera in some sort of role forward. Personally I'm all for kicking back and seeing if the uptick in Matera's performance sticks and continues next year, but on potential I'd have him rated under Martin and Garlett. Ah Chee would perhaps sit only behind Martin on potential, and may even push Matera to a fringe/variation/depth role.

In my opinion this is a good forward-thinking pick.
A bit of pressure gives Matera incentive to keep at it. Hope it goes that way, only helps the team overall

To an extent. I think we really need to find that 3rd mobile tall. Grant will fill a need and isn't awful so I'm keen to see what he can do but not expecting him to be a star. If he can get 15d and a couple goals a game while providing another marking target up the arcs that will be a win.

Lynch is Lynch. He's so good you could almost have an average second forward and win a premiership as long as your midfield is good. Sam Day may never be elite but he could be a good forward. Good enough to play second forward in a premiership team. Remember most teams don't have 2 gun KPFs, some not even one. The fact we have Wright too is huge and I think him and Lynch will be huge for us. They will need to rotate as the player who pushes up the ground because the one major downside is that they are both similar. Lynch has more scope as a deep forward due to his contested marking but they are both lead up CHFs not Dixon types. I still think it can work very well.

Martin may be forced to spend more time in the forward line before he becomes a mid if he kicks 30-40 next year.

Garlett will be a good small forward who can push up the ground. Ah Chee the same role but a bit more dynamic and a better talent IMO. I like Matera more on the wing or as a high half forward but he can play deep.

Sexton and Miller can play defensive forward roles well.

I think we look good going forward but we need a good 3rd tall.

Wow if Grant can average 15d and couple of goals a game he will be the best mobile forward in the game.... and pigs will fly and Josh Hall will play State of Origin next year.

Wow if Grant can average 15d and couple of goals a game he will be the best mobile forward in the game.... and pigs will fly and Josh Hall will play State of Origin next year.

I don't mean average 2 goals a game but chime in with scoreboard pressure in games. Should have been more clear.

No need to fire up about it.

Don't think Ah Chee is the Bennell replacement. Won't play midfield. Will perhaps free up Martin for extra midfield minutes.

Was a small forward what we really needed? Garlett, Matera, Martin... All pretty slippery in that role.
Bennell really wasn't that great a midfielder though. I know I'll get slapped down for saying it, but his midfield performance was entirely underwhelming and always has been. His disposal numbers were always high, but his actual impact on the midfield was usually pretty minimal.

He is a sensational half forward, but his focus in the midfield was basically just drifting around the ball getting quick and easy touches without a care for pressure, tackling, or any form of inside work. Seriously, rewatch his games and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Look at Cyril Rioli - has heck all touches, but has the most impact of any player in Hawthorn's list. Bennell generally had 30+ touches but rarely had a game-changing performance relative to his disposal count (excluding games like Geelong 2014, etc). Everybody would get carried away by his stats without really reflecting on his impact on the game itself. Ah Chee will replace Bennell at half forward very effectively without the need to make it into the midfield getting meaningless possessions for seemingly no reason. I can't see anybody being as effective as Bennell as a half-forward, but Ah Chee will still be brilliant for us.

As for Garlett, Matera, and Martin - the only small forward there is Garlett, who plays it perfectly in my eyes. I think it was the Sydney game in round 23 where he excelled at the forward pocket ala Eddie Betts. It made me moist.

Matera is not a small forward. He's kinda found his niche as a high half-forward linking the midfield to the forward line and plays that role very effectively, while Martin (when not injured) can play midfield, half-forward, or even at full-forward (like in the drawn Eagles game) provided somebody like Day or Wright took the main brute role.

Back