Draft Risk

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
We took a risk last year with Jack Grimes as he should of went way higher accept for his back injury... hopefully this year we will do the same with Swift at 17 as he was rated above Rich before a couple of knee injuries (not full reco/ACL as rumoured)... so we miight get another mid field gun who has pace with a lower pick.... since it is a PP we need to take the risk

What were his results like?

These are the 3 he made top 10 in. They are all different areas, jumping, sprinting & endurance which is what impressed me most.

STANDING VERTICAL JUMP - 3rd – 72cm

20-METRE SPRINT - 5th – 2.89s

BEEP TEST - equal 9th – 14.1

The most interesting test to see how well he's recovered from his knee injuries would be the agility test, but he didn't make the top 10 for that, doesn't mean that he did badly just that he was outside of 8.35s

I reckon' they would have to have absolute confidence that his knee/s are fixed. I know he had a great DC, but there still might be some concern whether the knee can hold up in the long run...

He's a bit different from Grimesy i think, as he has played very little football in the last two seasons. He's missed 2 years of U-18 National champs., so it's a little bit hard to gauge where his football's at after dominating U-16's (by all accounts...)

If his knee is good, he could be a real steal at 17, but he could also be a big risk too, and i don't think we can afford to stuff up our picks this year...

Tell me more about this Blease kid. Ive heard a bit about him but not sure what position he plays, his height and weight.

He is a lightning fast outside winger.
Stands at about 183cm and is lightly built.
He's bottom age for this year and probably won't play much next year as he is definitely undersized.
He can go missing in games, but he has insane amounts of pace and breaks lines very well.
He can go forward and kick a goal if needed too.
However my favourite thing about him is his kicking, he has the ability to pinpoint a 50 metre pass while running at full speed, which is something I admire.

Chance are he will go top 10 and probably won't last out the first round, but if he is around at 17 would pick him over almost anyone else expected to be around at that point.

Saw a lot of him in his junior years. From Norwood in the Eastern Football league. Can be quiet and suddenly explode in a 10 minute burst. A game winner and would be a fantastic get if he fell that far. Doubt it though. A couple of things he did in the championships were outstanding. @ spring to mind. His chase and his running goal. Had quality written all over it. Once he fills out will be a super player. Can run lines and wonderful foot skills. Beats' description of him is spot on

If his knee is good, he could be a real steal at 17, but he could also be a big risk too, and i don't think we can afford to stuff up our picks this year...

Every player in the draft is a risk. If we rate Swift the best but take someone else because of his "risk", then the people making decisions are clowns.

It'll be just our luck that if we overlook Swift he'll become a champion. Swift may have some additional risk because of prior injuries, but he also has a massive upside. The only player i'd rather take at pick 17 (who's a realistic chance, no ziebell or sidebottom, etc) is Blease. If we had a pick around about 10 then it would be a different story, but if he drifts to 17 then i think he'll be a cut above other available players.

F_cking up 1 earlier draft pick is not the end of the world. I would rather see us take a chance and him become the next Beau Muston then us play it safe and him potentially being a Selwood or Judd for someone else.

F_cking up 1 earlier draft pick is not the end of the world. I would rather see us take a chance and him become the next Beau Muston then us play it safe and him potentially being a Selwood or Judd for someone else.

Agree. We are aiming to build a premiership team and must pick players we believe have the best chance of becoming A graders. It is a priority pick for us being shit so I would be happy for us to take the risk if he is the best talent available. The potential upside with Swift outways the risk IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Chris Hall – 14.6
2. Rory Sloane – 14.5
=2. Steele Sidebottom – 14.5
3. Luke Shuey – 14.4
4. Jarrad Blight – 14.3
=4. Tyson Slattery – 14.3
5. Dan Hannebery - `14.2
=5. Ian Richardson – 14.2
6. Tom Lynch – 14.1
=6. Tom Swift – 14.1

1. Chris Hall – 14.6
2. Rory Sloane – 14.5
=2. Steele Sidebottom – 14.5
3. Luke Shuey – 14.4
4. Jarrad Blight – 14.3
=4. Tyson Slattery – 14.3
5. Dan Hannebery - `14.2
=5. Ian Richardson – 14.2
6. Tom Lynch – 14.1
=6. Tom Swift – 14.1

The AFL site is wrong for this one, which leads me to believe it could be wrong in other areas too... The numbers here are not what the draftees actually got...
On the site it says Rory Sloane got 14.5 and came second, in the video it clearly shows him winning the event at somewhere around 14.8, and on the draftee review where Rory Sloane is being interviewed, he is a bit peeved because he thinks he got over 15...

The AFL site is wrong for this one, which leads me to believe it could be wrong in other areas too... The numbers here are not what the draftees actually got...
On the site it says Rory Sloane got 14.5 and came second, in the video it clearly shows him winning the event at somewhere around 14.8, and on the draftee review where Rory Sloane is being interviewed, he is a bit peeved because he thinks he got over 15...
Maybe it is because they take off 2 because your score is from when you made the beep, then you are allowed to miss it once, is that right?

And didn't they do it in different heats which would explain why Sloane won his heat but not the test overall.

Maybe it is because they take off 2 because your score is from when you made the beep, then you are allowed to miss it once, is that right?

And didn't they do it in different heats which would explain why Sloane won his heat but not the test overall.

Mmm possibly, Although I was under the impression the beep test was all done at once...
If you miss the beep twice in a row you are eliminated, so your score is the last time you leave on time.
Oh well, I could be wrong...

Mmm possibly, Although I was under the impression the beep test was all done at once...
If you miss the beep twice in a row you are eliminated, so your score is the last time you leave on time.
Oh well, I could be wrong...

It's not twice in a row, it's twice. You get 1 warning and then the next 1 you miss you are out. That's how it's meant to be done and how draft camp does it, and the "twice in a row" is probably how others get heaps higher then the draft camp attendees because they have easier conditions.

Blease would be amazing if he fell to 17.

someone who will be a bit more likely to be around then is stephen hill.
got very good pace and agility and apparently a very nice kick. would compliment our midfield nicely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Risk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back