Recruiting Draft Watch 2020

Which do you prefer, if you have to choose?

• Nik Cox

Votes: 53 77.9%
  • Zach Reid

Votes: 15 22.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont think wed be taking anyone

Surely we are looking to use it as SPP or during the year in the drafts

We had our chance on those players and wernt interested
We should have two SSP slots available if we put Mozzie on the LTI list.

The upside of picking someone up via SSP/PSD is that we can offer them a one year deal. If we took them in the draft it is two years.

With list spots coming down next year again and an apparent super draft, we may look to keep our [list spot] options open

I think we need to take a mature age mid right now. I love the potential of the talls but the list does feel slim on mids.

I'm very happy with the haul and I like that we took 2 talls and one medium utility type. Remembering we also picked up Caldwell and honestly we have plenty of good midfielders we just don't have a lot of elite ones. Next year is probably a great chance to add an elite mid with our first pick. In my mind this year and next is going to be a mini 2 year rebuild. Its not about addressing every possible need in this one singular draft.

Not to mention not every draft is deep with talls, a lot of them are very midfielder centric. Next draft we can focus on an elite midfielder, then some smaller defenders and possibly forwards. Meanwhile by then we'll probably retire about 2 key backs (Hooker and Ambrose most likely) and we'll be thankful we have some guys ready to step up and become our future spine.

We picked the shit out of the better rated talls rather than hoping a mid would be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perkins will be a mid! You build a premiership team around a solid spine.

Brand
Reid
Perkins
Eyre
Jones

Place the bells and whistles around that group and build for the future. A 183cm Bruhn wouldn't have addressed a massive need imo.

Heppell 28 Shiel 27 Merrett 24 Langford 24 Parish 23 McGrath 22 Caldwell 20 Perkins 18

We're good for mids!

Few people on the main board trying to suggest a kid with similar traits we’ve got an abundance of was supposed to help
Address our midfield needs.

Quite funny actually

I think we need to take a mature age mid right now. I love the potential of the talls but the list does feel slim on mids.

I think Duval comes right into our thinking.

Add Duval (small defender) and one of Maher or Trew (miss) would be a reasonable finish for me

I think Duval comes right into our thinking.

Add Duval (small defender) and one of Maher or Trew (miss) would be a reasonable finish for me

On talent Duval is what I want. I do want players who could play mid, as depth though.

Currently racking my brain, trying to think of players who could be good depth mids/wings next year with a bit of development.

Maybe Fisher, Tsitas, Park, McNeil, Sampson or a delisted player.

Perkins will be a mid! You build a premiership team around a solid spine.

Brand
Reid
Perkins
Eyre
Jones

Place the bells and whistles around that group and build for the future. A 183cm Bruhn wouldn't have addressed a massive need imo.

Heppell 28 Shiel 27 Merrett 24 Langford 24 Parish 23 McGrath 22 Caldwell 20 Perkins 18

We're good for mids!
I'm not quite as optimistic on that front. It means we're again relying on Heppell and Shiel to be our big bodied extractors. We'll be hoping Dunkley still wants to join us for 2022. I'm quietly hoping Sam Flanders is looking at his options...

I'm not quite as optimistic on that front. It means we're again relying on Heppell and Shiel to be our big bodied extractors. We'll be hoping Dunkley still wants to join us for 2022. I'm quietly hoping Sam Flanders is looking at his options...

It’s very rare for a recruit to come in and impact from day one so our round 1 miss we’re always going to be our current crop

God this is a shit article

What's the point of going "Oh A+, no A, no A-"

Just rate them A / B / C / D etc.. and actually give some differences, instead of trying to say everyone's a winner.

Melbourne for example, they're rated an A- when their picks were 21, 22 & 34.

Essendon had 3 top-10 selections and rated an A.

Where's the nuance you moron Matt Balmer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The take away for me in this draft was if you do not have either:
a) breakaway speed
b) elite aerobic capacity
c) height

You are lucky to get drafted/get drafted late. The amount of prospect tall wings that can run all day that were taken blew my mind.

I must admit would be tough going to GWS and getting a midfield gig with Hopper, Deboer, Taranto, Cogs, Tom Green on the inside. Josh Kelly on the outside spots are very limited
After the year that he’s had without any exposure that’ll be three years of no exposure. What are his chances?

He’s lucky that VFL East Coast can expose him to adult competition and if necessary, other AFL clubs’ recruiters.

That and he’s a Falcons boy, Geelong typically keep touch with them throughout their careers.

I was initially disappointed about taking 2 tall development players and was hoping the club would have a Port Adelaide type draft to spring us back up the ladder. However, after some sleep, I am happy with the picks taken and I think it was a really mature decision to hopefully secure our spine with 2 talls who can run and kick for the next 10 years rather than the club continually overestimating its list. I am glad we didn't go for Bruhn because he just has not played enough footy so I think Reid was a good pick if we didn't have the option to trade back.

God this is a sh*t article

Just rate them A / B / C / D etc.. and actually give some differences, instead of trying to say everyone's a winner.

The thing I’ve never unsetstood is how you can rate a draft before the player drafted has even played a game. Really it is something that can only really done retrospectively yeah?

The thing I’ve never unsetstood is how you can rate a draft before the player drafted has even played a game. Really it is something that can only really done retrospectively yeah?
I suppose you’re rating them on how well they’ve tried to fill their apparent list needs.

But whether that has actually filled a need or not obviously is only a retrospective thing (and even then people will spend decades arguing without a coherent answer most of the time).

God this is a sh*t article

I feel for the guy. It's pretty clear Fox has recognised that Twomey/AFL are sucking all the oxygen out of the Draft period (one of the heaviest traffic periods of the year), and have just gone to one of the junior content producers to focus on the draft and be an 'expert'.

It's a terrific opportunity for him, but at the same token, he needs a couple of years and time building up relationships with recruiters before he has anywhere near the information to be an authority.

I feel for the guy. It's pretty clear Fox has recognised that Twomey/AFL are sucking all the oxygen out of the Draft period (one of the heaviest traffic periods of the year), and have just gone to one of the junior content producers to focus on the draft and be an 'expert'.

It's a terrific opportunity for him, but at the same token, he needs a couple of years and time building up relationships with recruiters before he has anywhere near the information to be an authority.
That was made by Matt Balmer who would go to as many live games as Cal would, he was a writer at Draft Central as I joined.

I'm aware of his background, but there's a difference once you actually start having a beat in a newsroom and the story of the day becomes your focus instead of the draft full time. That where a couple more years of building relationships with recruiters and player agents will help take care of some of the leg work for him and also help portray a more accurate picture.

Ultimately, I'm not saying he won't become well-renowned nor am I criticising him beyond any other journalist, I'm more saying Fox hasn't done him any favours by immediately placing him as the rival to Cal Twomey - he needs time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting Draft Watch 2020

Back